Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I don't think Gatorade will change the way they select teams from the entire country for little ol' SC.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
For the players and parents the awards are nice.

But the sad reality is that most player awards are more about who votes for them than anything else.

Four Irmo boys on the All State team?? 9 straight CESA players named player of the year? That is more about who picked the award than who is most deserving.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

For the players and parents the awards are nice.

But the sad reality is that most player awards are more about who votes for them than anything else.

Four Irmo boys on the All State team?? 9 straight CESA players named player of the year? That is more about who picked the award than who is most deserving.

Pjay,
I just have to ask. Is there anything about youth soccer that you don't complain about? I have no idea who chose The Gatorade Player of the Year and neither do you. Are you aware that more than soccer stats goes into the selection? The nomination application includes GPA, school activities and leadership and community involvement, etc. Who knows, the next nine could come from outside Cesa. At any rate, you can't simply look at goals and assists and come up with GPOTY.

Does everything have to be a controversy, or can we just congratulate these players and move on without insinuating that there is some reason other than the player, student and person they are?

S
goal
goal
S
interwebs is gonna go out of bidness with thinking like that.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
I think we can congratulate the players and the people who won the state championships too.

But we should also acknowledge that the system is flawed and could use some improvement. In this case do you really think that the best player in the state came from CESA 9 straight times??

Call me a pessimist but I find it hard to believe that one soccer club has produced the top player 9 years in a row and 10 of the last 11. Not one player from the Columbia, Charleston or Charlotte area soccer clubs has been worthy in 9 years? Not one?

All the state championships being piled up by lower state teams and yet not one player of the year award in 9 years?? It defies logic that EVERY top player in the state would play for this one club.

Seems that the number 1 requirement for being Gatorade player of the year at this point is playing for CESA.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard