Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
Appreciate the responses thus far and the tone in which this seems to be heading. I will chime in that legitimate injuries with written medical documentation etc would be a waiver / exception to the rule IMO. Most injured players still dress out, join practice, attend games etc and are a part of the squad just as much as any other player. Sitting on the bench while under medical restriction could cover you for attendance perhaps. No easy fixes for sure.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
My question is when were the players put on the eligibility list? In preseason or added late, just in time for the playoffs.

This has been a club dilemma, as stated above, for years, but it's now rearing its' head in the high school game. I for one, think your initial list (club and HS) should be the final one. Play with what you have got!

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
Great post Coach and lots of room for thought by all of you
on this important matter.

Tasos Georgopoulos J L Mann High School Varsity Girls Soccer
C
Coach
Coach
C
Injuries, I feel, would be a completely separate issue...as several have said, they would probably be on the eligibility list already, and they should be supporting the team throughout their injury period (if their injury allows) through attendance and support at games, assistance at practice in whatever capacity they are able, etc.

Unlike the Academy issue, injured players are not off the high school soccer field by choice. Additionally, a player who is coming off a long-term injury and has not been able to practice or play throughout most of the season is not going to have the same kind of impact on the game as one who has spent that time training and playing at a highly advanced level and then brings those skills to the high school field once that season is done; bringing an injured player back into play near the end of the season would not be considered "bringing in a ringer."

Here's a thought. The DA has made its position clear--any player who participates on a high school team during the DA season will not be allowed to participate in the DA. Would it be out of line for the High School League to reciprocate equally with a rule stating that any player who participates in the DA during the high school season will not be allowed to participate in High School League play?

Seems fair...

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
Goal
How do we get the high school league to even look at this issue?
Do we take it to our individual AD's and principals and have them bring it up or do we go to the high school league as a group of coaches and ask them to look at it?
From the response that Skip Lax gave, it's a school issue.
How do we make it a league issue?

Here is a different scenario: Say I have a really fast soccer play and the track teams wants to borrow him for the region meet. Is that the same since he was a part of a different school program or would you view it as a similar situation as the academy?

Goal
Goal
This is only a question and sorry if it seems to be a simple one, but how long exactly does the DA Season run? [Start - Finish]

The reason I ask is if a Minimum Requirement Rule was added would that automatically knock out the possibility of DA players joining a High School team?

Sorry if it seems too simple of a question, just trying to learn and understand things better.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Huh--I guess this is our equivalent of "One and Done" and you guessed it--I'm not talking seasons. Even John Calipari doesn't cross this line!

S
Brace
Brace
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong

Here is a different scenario: Say I have a really fast soccer play and the track teams wants to borrow him for the region meet. Is that the same since he was a part of a different school program or would you view it as a similar situation as the academy?

I think it would be the same as the academy scenario. I guess depending on the program's rules about a player doing more than one sport during the season would apply. If a coach allows his fastest soccer player to run track meets as long as it doesn't interfere w/ soccer, then the player can run some track meets before the region meet that way he "qualifies" based on the requirements

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
A
Bench
Bench
A
The Academy season is 10 months long. Starts in September and ends in June.

The Academy teams also have designated roster spots called Developmental players which allow the players to play both for the high schools and the academy in a limited capacity. Just as an FYI if you didn't know which adds an additional wrinkle.

Goal
Goal
Thank you for the information. Adding a minimum requirement rule would work possibly but then wouldn't you have to, as a coach, have to add in a minimum requirement of practices Attended?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard