Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
B
With the HSL adding a 5th classification, it is giving us a chance to make some changes. I wanted to get an opinion from the South Carolina high school coaches on eliminating shoot-outs and adding ties in region play. Out of region games could still be decided by a shoot-out if the coaches association wanted to keep them. Region standings would be decided by points. Teams would receive 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for a loss. Each region could adopt their own tie breaker methods, or we could come up with one universal method for everyone, similar to MLS or EPL.

I just wanted to throw this out there to see the opinions of some other coaches.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
I support settling matches with pks but would also support a point system that would be universal in all regions. If it went to pks, then split the 3 pts. The winner gets 2 and the loser gets 1.

Coach Damon Dixon
Summerville HS
C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Yes, absolutely ties.

We already play way more than the recommended amount of games per week. Having the students play additional time during the regular season is unnecessary and dangerous.

Goal
Goal
I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before, but I don't think the high school worries about specific rules for specific sports. I think they treat all sports the same (shaking my head no) in that matches can't end in a tie. We (soccer people) think it would be strange for a football game to end in a tie just as they (non soccer rule makers) think it's strange that soccer can end in a tie.
I think my point is that it's an all or nothing type of rule.

I've been coaching high school for several years now and as I sit here right now I'm asking myself "Do I like pk's or would I rather it end in a tie?" and the answer is, I'm not sure.

I have won games I should not have won and lost games I should not have lost because of pks.

I think it's important for young people to learn the joy and agony of competition and pk's brings that to high school games. The raw emotion of winning or losing a shootout is a feeling that you don't find in many other situations.

Maybe this is my opinion because I was a goalkeeper and loved the pressure that came with playing that position in that circumstance.

So I guess I do like shootouts but couldn't probably be talked out if it.

This is an interesting topic and thank you for starting the thread. I am curious to hear other coaches opinions.

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard