Print Thread
#171188 03/20/16 06:20 PM
T
Tazman Offline OP
Bench
OP Offline
Bench
T
Can someone explain to me how at 6-5 a school can be ranked so far ahead of other schools who are 7-1, 5-0, 6-2, or even 5-3? Just curious what criteria is beingused to arrive at these positions for A, AA, AAA, AAAA and the overall top 20. Not making a whole lot of sense to me. Is it strength of schedule? Perhaps the region the team might be located in?

Thanks for any insight into.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I certainly think the strength of schedule is considered based on past rankings. You can be 10-0 versus nobody or 6-5 versus 'somebodies'. Can't just schedule cupcakes anymore and be rewarded. Lots of good 7-4 and 8-3 teams out there that simply play good competition.

A
Goal
Goal
A
PK losses to #1,#3,#5 in AAA and #8 in AAAA and 1 goal loss to #3 in AAAA--now gee, I am just guessing, but that may do it.

World Cup
World Cup
I had an email from The State newspaper's Prep Sports Coordinator, Lou Bezjak, today and thought I would share this information with the Message Board folks:

Quote:
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 10:41 AM
To: Kyle Heise
Thanks man appreciate it.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Kyle Heise wrote:

Lou –

There is a State Ranking for each classification that has a State Championship: Boys (4A, 3A, 2A, 1A); and Girls (4A, 3A, 2A/1A) and SCISA (3A, 1A-2A).

The Top 15 for 4A and 3A based on 52 teams (Top 29%) – but, we ranked only 10 girls 3A teams this week due to the “parity” of the next 20-25 teams. It will sort itself out over the course of a season – always does.

There are 10 boys teams ranked for 2A (40 schools have teams so it recognizes the Top 25%) and five girls (38 teams, because the girls state championship is for 2A/1A combined, so technically it’s a Top 10 but broken down on the EurosportScoreboard as individual rankings for 2A and 1A due to the software not being able to decipher “combined polls of different classifications”.

In 1A for boys there is a Top 5 (for 24 teams, Top 21%) and 11 girls teams – combined with the 38 2A teams that’s a Top 10 for 2A/1A Girls (Top 20%).

Also, our Rankings pretty much mirror the Power Ratings produced by renowned mathematics expert, Kenneth Massey, at the conclusion of each season. His formula (algorithm) was utilized by the Bowl Championship Series in college football the past decade.

It’s not an exact science, but in general, the rankings are fairly accurate and a direct reflection that the polls serve as a good indicator of the most deserving sides receiving this recognition.

2015 Massey Ratings - BOYS

2015 Massey Ratings – GIRLS

One more thing – we definitely consider “strength of schedule”, the number of matches your team is willing to play against top competition in the non-region portion of the schedule, and success in the more talented and challenging tournaments.

Of course wins and losses matters but so do ties in soccer. Due to the SCHSL rules, a contest must have a “winner” and a “loser”, but in the sport of soccer, draws (or ties) are just as significant because everywhere else in the world is based on a points system: Wins = 3; Ties = 1; and Losses = 0.

Therefore, a team might have a record of 10 wins and 8 losses, but further inspection would see that two of those wins and four of those losses were the result of a penalty kick shootout (because the SCHSL has to have a “winner”). So, in essence, that 10-8 (55.6%) record is really 8W-4L-6T (61.1%) for 30 points.

Hope this helps and thanks so much for your coverage of prep athletics – it is much appreciated (and needed)!!!

Kyle Heise

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 10:41 AM
To: Kyle Heise

Coach Heise,

Had a question for you someone messaged me, asked me why there are only 5 teams in 2A and A polls. I think I kind of know the answer but just wanted to see.

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 03/21/16 09:05 PM.
S
Brace
Brace
S
I wish we could use a points system & not mandate a winner & loser.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
M
Bench
Bench
M
Based on some prior answers here, I am not understanding how Dutch Fork is not ranked. Their losses are to #2, 7, and 8 in AAAA and #3 and 8 in AAA. Additionally, they are the only team other than Wando to score more than 1 point against River Bluff.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Originally Posted By: maybeIwasthere
Based on some prior answers here, I am not understanding how Dutch Fork is not ranked. Their losses are to #2, 7, and 8 in AAAA and #3 and 8 in AAA. Additionally, they are the only team other than Wando to score more than 1 point against River Bluff.

How do you score a point in soccer? A goal, perhaps, but not a point - unless you're talking goals and assists.

Link Copied to Clipboard