Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Throw In
Throw In
C
I were unable to play 2 games last year due to a lack of referees. I regularly have a $330 bill for 2 referees (due to travel) coming for a JV & Varsity game which I gladly pay promptly.
The shortage has not been an overnight issue, but one that has been building for the last 5-6 years.
Changes need to be made and here are my suggestions:

1. Require Sportsmanship from coaches and fans towards the referees. The red card to the fan/coach that abuses the referee should be coming out much quicker and coaches & AD's need to emphasize this to their fans.

2. Recruit more referees. I encourage all my seniors to get certified. The money is easy for a college student and it adds to the pool.

3. Make the process for becoming a referee more transparent and with greater flexibility for the applicant. Yes it is an online test, but the workshop/class attendance is restrictive to many in how few the clinics are (many of my former players just couldn't make the dates/times).

4. Assignments need to be based upon needs: Get back to the basics: All teams should be able to have a minimum of 2 referees for each game. Big games among the 3A & 4A schools may want a 3rd official, but to deny 2 schools the chance play because then can't get a referee at all is wrong and selfish.
4A. Make the referee assignments sooner. We often don't find out assignment until hours before a game. Weather related changes cause huge headaches for all, but the regular schedule needs to have greater advance warning so we quit working in an panic mode for referee assignments.

These are a few of the issues that others have states and I see as our bigger issues.

Kickoff
Kickoff
Now that the thread is dead I will add to it. A and AA boys soccer (and some AAA programs) would be dead if it moved to the fall, a lot A and AA teams have a core of football players that we recruit to "give soccer a try." I am at a medium size AA school and we couldn't even come close to fielding a boys team if it moved to the fall.

However, moving the girls wouldn't disrupt us as much, and in fact might help us as softball and track athletes could participate. This would alleviate half the strain on refs but might interfere with club activities. And I would love to see football coaches have to share facilities with girls soccer, as we know everything in the fall is about football, I can hear them now.

In reality the only real solution is to recruit more refs. I wouldn't never do it as I ref'd a B-Team basketball game years ago (6th graders) and got hammered by the coaches and fans, even the players - not worth it to me. It is only going to get worse as we grow our programs and schools, besides facility use is going to cause more problems as lacrosse grows throughout the state.

Goal
Goal
The shortage of refs isn't a quick fix.
I think the assignors and teams need to try to coordinate certain days for certain classifications and give them the priority. A and AA on Mondays and Wednesdays and AAA-AAAAA on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, or something like that. A region game should take precedent over a non region game.
Not saying it will work but it's an idea.

Fall soccer won't work for high school because they you are asking club soccer to play in the spring. Too many moving parts and too many egos to make it work.

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
The shortage of refs isn't a quick fix.
I think the assignors and teams need to try to coordinate certain days for certain classifications and give them the priority. A and AA on Mondays and Wednesdays and AAA-AAAAA on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, or something like that.

You do realize there are more teams in 3A - 5A than the A/AA divisions right? Also why as a 2A team should I always play on a Monday for Region. I did that this season and I feel like it's bogus. If you're going to go that route then let 1A Schools do their games on Monday/Wednesday. 2A/4A get Tuesday/Thursday. 3A/5A get Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

Goal
Goal
It was just an example.

Yours sounds better than mine. My point was more refs aren't magically going to show up next year so an alternative solution is necessary.

S
Brace
Brace
S
We need to figure out a program or system where players can get certified while in HS & hope that at least 20-30% continue reffing. I don't know about y'all, but the more actual soccer players refereeing games, the better refereeing will get. Our varsity team currently has 3 certified ref's that do local leagues & SCYSA games in our area on weekends. Out of the 3, one really enjoys doing it. That's 1/3 that will continue to referee.

Some players don't even know they can get certified during HS. Now, will every player do it? Heck no. Will every kid that does it continue for years? Maybe not. But if we can get some sort of pipeline or program that gets these kids certified early, it might help elevate our referees in numbers & quality for the future

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
Goal
Wasn't trying to sound rude Alister, just a subject that I see beaten like a dead horse. I do feel like we should encourage players to be a ref. The money is somewhat easy to make. Sadly, with the way parents, coaches, and players act I'm not surprised that officials are dropping

Goal
Goal
eMnAvA, I agree about that the topic has been beaten to death and I didn't take your response to sounding rude. My earlier response was just a generic solution that I didn't really put much thought in and just put out there.
I couldn't agree more that we need to get our players involved and I think Bucky, down here in the lowcountry, does a great job of mentoring and teaching young refs the proper way to do things. I think that soccer clubs need to get more involved in trying to recruit refs. I'm going to try to get Summerville Soccer Club to try to create a program that will get some of the older kids involved with reffing the micro kids.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Alister get your point but can't say we don't try.
In the lowcountry last year Cainhoy Athletic sponsored and hosted two ref classes (grade 8 and 9) on Daniel Island.

By sponsored I mean (we) pay for any candidate associated with our club taking the course at no small expense.
We had pretty good turn out and a number of the participants have continued to ref and boost the community.

Here is a novel idea. For all those entities associated with providing and hosting soccer (clubs, schools, etc.) and certainly those with a profit motive, consider refs a cost of doing business and help fund them. I'm all about low cost soccer and often I ponder why the only guy at a lower level game that is paid are the refs, but discounting that, I do think it is a reasonable ask for us to put some skin in the game, and for ref associations to LOWER the cost of certification. Certainly I'll state here that Cainhoy Athletic will work with local schools to provide ref clinics and to some degree underwrite said activities but I'd like to see some others like SCYSA, REF Assoc, School Districts, and other clubs pony up. How about that? Any takers?

The ref issue in my opinion is much bigger than just parental or coach abuse that obviously should be discouraged at all levels
I know several great refs and many who choose to longer ref local games due to many reasons beyond abuse. I personally would rather ref City of Charleston rec games on a Saturday because they are 'easier', scheduled back to back, on my backdoor step, and guaranteed.

Club games and I imagine High School are trickier animals as the scheduling falls outside central control and venues shift and change due to any number of reasons. Consider our lowcountry and the shift from LSYSA to Coastal League a while ago. One of the outcomes of that was decentralized scheduling. Of course that has pros and cons but the biggest problem is game alignment and ref consideration.

Offering clubs and even team level discretion on games is great for the coach who manages three teams but not so for scheduling simplicity
Politics and egos often restrict single venue games and all these issues add to the scheduling issues that make work identification and ease harder for the new ref.

Stopping now before I get myself in trouble.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard