Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
So those here should know I'm no stranger to speaking up and attempting to use the correct channels to lobby for what is BEST for HS Soccer. Not to whine or moan, not my style. Perhaps some will view this as a rant or a whine and I'm ok with your feedback if thats what it appears outside of my rose tinted glasses. Just want the standards to be the highest they can possibly be and have people in decision making positions, to do so with the best interests of our Sport at heart. No agenda, no loyalty to sponsorship deals, no politics, not interested in any of that.

With that said, this is the response from Skip regarding the use of the Rawlings ball. Yes, to be perfectly frank, we did wonder if it was cheaper to pay the fine than buy the balls at one point but decided against that in the interests of compliance. I did find out from the handbook that the fine would likely be either $100 (minimum) or potentially $500. Paying the fine wasn't an issue but the perception of deliberately defying the league clearly is not something we wanted. Kinda like playing under protest or accepting a ruling under duress but I do take issue with protecting a sponsor under the guise / penalty of unsportinglike conduct. I know on the grand scheme, you could argue its equally bad for both teams but a bad ball has potential to really affect a game.

Remember the debacle of the 2010 World Cup and the Jabulani ??

From: "Graham Stafford" <Graham.Stafford@clover.k12.sc.us>
To: skip@schsl.org, "schsl" <schsl@schsl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:20:57 AM
Subject: Rawlings Soccer ball playoff question

Dear SCHSL,

How much is the fine for NOT using a Rawlings Soccer ball during playoffs ?

I’m certainly not the only one asking this but perhaps the only one reaching out to you directly for an answer.

We have the balls ready to use but just curious.

Sincerely,

Coach Stafford

Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 9:52 AM
To: Master Image <graham.stafford@clover.k12.sc.us>
Subject: Re: Rawlings Soccer ball playoff question

Coach, Schools who do not use the ball will be guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and penalized according to League guidelines. -Skip

Skip,

Unsportsmanlike conduct ? League obviously makes the rules but not sure what is unsporting about using a superior product instead of an inferior one. Nowhere in the 17 articles under rules and regulations as indicated in the handbook can I find how not using the Rawlings ball is unsportinglike conduct. But, rules are rules.

Rawlings simply isn’t a renowned Soccer brand ( they admit to being new to the sport ) and I can’t think of anything that can potentially affect the game more than using an inferior lighter ball.

Skip, I’m not trying to be anything but honest with you and the league. Like what I have to say or not but I am being respectful and candid in the manner of my approach. I’ve been outspoken on a number of points as you know, but I hope you can notice that all are about having the very HIGHEST standards for High School Soccer, that’s all. I can assure you that I am one of a very large number of coaches who are dissatisfied with the mandate to use a sub standard Soccer ball for the most important part of post season. The Rawlings ball is ok but it really is just that … ok and a mediocre practice ball at best. Mediocre is not a standard I readily accept for my program.

We have 5 game balls in play on game days. 1 on the field and 4 ball boys taking one corner/sideline half each. The only Rawlings ball we could find were for $160 each (I know we got hosed on that price as they seem like $30 balls at most). We got approved for 2 balls. Our AD is copied and can verify this information. There will be a time in the game we host on Tuesday when it will be necessary to use another ball that is not the approved Rawlings ball (ironically unapproved yet of the highest professional quality also costing $160 apiece). I want to be clear and honest up front but we will obviously start with the Rawlings ball and use those two in our regular 5 ball rotation but we do not have “exclusive” Rawlings game balls. Exclusive use of only 2 game balls will likely delay the game at times depending on when one is kicked out of our stadium into the street behind one goal (such is the layout of Memorial stadium) . Both coaches and programs would not be happy with that in a tight playoff game for obvious reasons. I just want to go on record that we will have made a concerted good faith effort to comply with the rules whether I like them or not.

Sincerely,

Coach Stafford
Clover High School

J
Bench
Bench
J
Coach Stafford-

Thanks for the well-written position regarding the change of balls for playoffs. I was quite surprised as well to learn of the mandate to use a ball that would never be considered for a regular season match. We have played numerous games this season, including opponents outside of our region, and never once have we used a Rawlings soccer ball. I am just going to be honest that I have never even seen a Rawlings soccer ball. Our school was gracious enough to order a few of them for us that will be available for our practice on Friday. It just seems really odd for me to play a whole season then everyone switch to a ball that nobody uses. Thanks again for the email and I can't help but agree with you that I am not excited about getting through a whole season then using a different type of ball. Best wishes to all who progress to playoffs.

I respect the authority of the state sanctioning body, so we will absolutely use the balls, but like Coach Stafford, wonder what would happen if another ball were in the rotation of game balls.

Coach Jarrett
Nation Ford High School

C
Goal
Goal
C
Honest question...

Does Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Golf, Lacrosse or any other HSL sport that requires a ball, being held to the same postseason mandate?

S
Brace
Brace
S
Unsportsmanlike conduct? Man come on

We used them 2x this season. Hilton Head & Stall have them as their game balls & they are substantially different. With the outrageous price, what happens to the smaller, less funded programs that earn a home playoff game & can't afford to get soccer balls? We don't have that problem here in Bft (our AD ordered 2 Rawlings balls last week), but I know not all soccer programs are blessed to be able to just order soccer balls at the end of the season. What will the league do then, fine them because they can't afford a mandated brand of ball? I didn't know until last year when the League sent out the press release about the exclusive deal with Rawlings. My response? Walmart balls for a state championship. I'm just waiting to see the first instance of a team being punished for not having Rawlings balls in a game. Since its unsportsmanlike, who will get the yellow or red card? Who gets banned?

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
L
Goal
Goal
L
So the SCHSL gets paid by Rawlings to be a sponsor but Rawlings does not provide the balls to schools or even offer a discounted price?

Goal
Goal
HSL already cashed the check so we can't do anything about for the next few years

C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
This isn't a new topic so didn't mean to bring up an old thread but just the timing being right around the corner, thought it might be on more minds right now.

Cesar, I know Basketball had to use Rawlings and our Football coach says they have to so I assume that yes, its MOST sports. Does Rawlings even makes a Tennis and Lax ball ? What about Golf ? I dabble a little when I can chopping around the course but I know many golfers who swear by Titleist Pro V1 and other top brands etc. The technology employed in all sports these days as seen in the improvement in apparel etc also extends to the ball. In Soccer, the improvement in touch and feel and ball response to striking the sweet spot or offset to curl etc are all very welcomed advances to the game. An inferior older style of game ball might seem a small thing but does represent a step backwards for me.

Look at the end of the day, I know its as my students like to say .... #firstworldproblems
so I'm not getting bent out of shape over this.

"You make the rules, we'll bring the balls" I did that all by myself BTW . No copyright on the slogan wink

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Cesar Robles
Honest question...

Does Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Golf, Lacrosse or any other HSL sport that requires a ball, being held to the same postseason mandate?

Heise posted this the other day: Rawlings balls must be used for all playoff contests in lacrosse, baseball, soccer and soccer.

Victory Starts Here!
J
Brace
Brace
J
Just lobby the officials to determine that the balls aren't worthy to be considered game balls. The SCHSL has no recourse to override an officials determination of game balls. They want to play rule games, let the officials determine is isn't an acceptable game ball, and per the NFHS rule books, it is well within our powers to determine ball eligibility. I love the phrase, in the opinion of the referee.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: James Gray
I love the phrase, in the opinion of the referee.

I laughed pretty hard. They can barely agree on a call/make the right call. Only a few refs even care if the ball is NFHS certified.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard