Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
D
Dale Offline OP
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
D
First congratulations to Lexington. My daughter played for Mann. If any of you saw this game, i would love to hear you opinions. The first thing that I would love toy see is the stats. I think that Mann was called for at least twice as many fouls. The number of times our girls stole the ball and started to dribble and was grabbed or held was crazy. He never called it on Lexington. If someone has the stats please post them. Then the last play of the game was ridiculous. Lexington shot and it hit the crossbar, bounced straight down and didn't go in. The AR, who was standing on the line, called no goal. The center ref came running over from midfield and said that it was a goal. The AR with my daughter standing beside him, told the ref again that it never went into the net. Didn't matter. Game over. I would like to know how and why would the refs have predetermined winners in their mind before the game starts. It could have been Mann or Lexington, but let it be fair. Today, Mann was beaten by the refs. One of them tried to do the right thing and he was over ruled by the center ref. He shouldn't be allowed to ever ref again. The good thing is, that I spoke with a Channel 4 film crew who has it on film. He was telling our parents how bad it was to get beaten that way. He saw it. I'm sure that Lexington would rather win it straight out instead of on a controversial call such as this. I hope they run it on the late news, because he has the footage showing that it wasn't a goal. Why would he not listen to his sideline AR and make the call from midfield when clearly he had no knowledge of if it was goal or not. I'm glad that it was our last game. SC don't have a good reputation anyway and refs like this is why. SC soccer officials were there too, they should have fixed the situation.

K
Kickoff
Kickoff
K
http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/article77695302.html

Couldn't tell from the angle I was sitting at if the final goal was a goal or not, but your assessment of the ref was wrong. If you look at the video clip above, the AR starting running towards the midfield, that was his signal to the center ref that the shot was a goal. Only then did the center ref call it a goal.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Long time no post...

There is a video here
http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/article77698387.html

Article also disputes what your coach said-
"A South Carolina High School League official spoke to the linesman afterward and was told he told the head referee that it was a good goal, that the ball landed past the black line and on the white paint inside the net."

To me the physics of how it travelled suggest that it was a goal.
After hitting the top post the only way for it to NOT be a goal is for it to go straight down hit the line and bounce out.

To me from poor quality video it looked like it hit the post and bounced down and back a bit before hitting the ground and bouncing back out.

Plus the chance of the ball hitting the post and coming STRAIGHT down without crossing the line is pretty slim.

And let's be honest even after watching it on video in slow motion it is hard to tell if it was a wasn't a goal so I don't think beating up on the ref in this situation is fair.

As for rest of game, can't say. But I remember going to Mann a few years ago and having a very one sided game called against our team. Of course the Mann parents at the time would say it was a perfectly called game. Maybe someone can post whole game and you can find bad calls and point them out.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
I was not at the game and I don't have a dog in the fight. But after reading about the ending, I saw a picture on Lexington's twitter feed of the ball clearly over the black line in the white. Rubber bouncing up with space between that and the goal line.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
AR makes immediate goal call. Officiating was good, except for calling Lexington offside when a Mann player played it back. Ironically, the same AR called it, but center should have seen it and ignored his flag. It's a bad beat, Mann should have ended it in regulation, but they let a team that defended with six beat them. Lexington not smart enough to ask for ten as Mann stood five yards on almost every free kick. Both teams run away too much.

D
Dale Offline OP
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
D
This is the goal that the decided the Girls 4A SC State Championships. We should be embarrassed for having such lazy refs decide our kids games. Clearly not a goal. If they don't show you the still shot on TV, I'll send it to you or you can find it on #lexingtonsoccer twitter.

D
Dale Offline OP
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
D
Your wrong. We heard the AR stating it wasn't a goal. He told the news it wasn't a goal. You can see that it wasn't a goal. I'd love to see the stats.

F
Bench
Bench
F
Congratulations to Lexington.

Mann....tough loss.

In all my years of watching soccer (and there are many) and watching dozens of high school soccer state championships, I have never seen such a debacle as the SC 4A championship between Lexington and Mann. This officiating crew should be banned for life from the pitch. It was by far one of the worst jobs ever done by a crew that I have ever witnessed. Clearly the fiasco at the end of the game with the goal called in golden goal overtime where the AR visibly, demonstratively, and verbally indicated it was not a goal is what everyone will be talking about; however, this crew was simply awful the entirety of the match.

There was the non-PK call at the 7 minute mark of the first overtime period where a defensive player restrained an offensive player in the box by grabbing her shoulder with a hand full of jersey and pulled her back so the keeper could corral the ball (watch the tape…it is very clear). There was no doubt this was a PK in real-time yet the center swallowed his whistle like nothing happened. There were the two botched calls in the 2nd half on Mann #15 who should have received a second yellow and forced Mann to play down a man; but again, the center cowered at making the right call. That of course assumes that the first yellow he showed was correct…that would be a wrong assumption. Then of course he was more than willing to whip out another yellow card for unsporting behavior for sending the ball away after a foul. I have a real problem with referees who are fast to throw soft yellows for minor infractions or during stoppages in play yet refuse to make the right decision on plays that can get someone hurt. Let’s talk about the dozen or so handballs that were never called. How a qualified referee can miss that many simple calls like that is unbelievable. Ironically however, one of the ARs must have x-ray vision because he called a handball on a ball that was chested and all he could see was the player’s back. Then there is the AR calling for an offside free kick when it was a goal kick. He didn’t even know what was going on in the game. How about the handling offense on the Lexington keeper in the 1st half that was not called just outside the six…clearly that was a Lexington defender trying to shoot on her own goal and not making an intentional pass back. Are you kidding me? Then there are the offside calls when a “defensive player” plays the ball back. How’s that? Is there a new offside law?

That takes us to all the fouls that were called, I disagreed with about 80% of those called (way too many of those were very soft touch fouls); and, all the fouls that were not called that should have been called, with which I disagreed 100%. Call the fouls consistently please. It was such a pitiful display of incompetence that was so totally random and inconsistent that it is extremely hard to believe that this guy actually passed the certification test let alone was chosen to do a championship match. I would also love to see the foul stats on this match as they had to be outlandishly one-sided against one team.

Finally, that brings us to the mayhem in the final minute of the first golden goal overtime. The shot is taken, hits the bar, bounces down off the line, and out into the field of play. The AR does not indicate goal, he simply begins to follow the ball back up the field. The Lexington players do not complain. Suddenly the center stops the match and calls goal. Chaos erupts from both teams and fans. The center goes over to the AR who verbally and demonstratively indicates that it is not a goal, which was witnessed and overheard by a multitude of players, coaches, and spectators. The Mann players and bench celebrate the “no-goal” they believe is about to be called when suddenly the Center for no known reason indicates “Goal.” What a complete abuse of power. The center was in no position to make that call. He must defer to AR on the line. To overrule the AR in that situation is ludicrous from an officiating standpoint. And, as has been shown in the many pictures floating around on the web already, the entire ball was NOT over the goal line. The picture floating around that shows it best shows the ball kicking up black crumb from the white football line just behind the goal line. While the center of the ball did land behind the line, the laws of physics with the angle of attack of the ball coming down preclude the entire ball from having crossed the line. It was not surprising when this crew immediately made way for the clubhouse and left chaos reigning still out on the pitch. Now there are stories that the AR is changing his story to the state officials and saying that he did tell the Center it was a good goal. The many witnesses and the reaction of the Mann team clearly refute that. Now it’s merely a cover-up to try and save face for this entire crew and the state association.

In soccer, many times players and/or coaches will complain that a referee cost them a game, which is simply not true…they just had a bad game but it impacted both teams. In this case however, one referee had an absolutely abysmal game and not only did it cost one team a game, it cost them a championship.

Bottom-line is this…whatever happened on that pitch tonight was awful and there needs to be some real inquiry as to what truly went on with this referee and this crew at this championship match. It is unacceptable!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard