Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Throw In
Throw In
Originally Posted By: soccerdad14
Please don't lump all of the Mann supporters together. As I posted yesterday:

As a Mann parent, we should win with class and lose with class. It's fun to win, it hurts to lose - especially like that - but we inevitably have to experience both. I've watched the videos several times and I have to agree that it was a goal - regardless of anything else. Whether the AR or center ref truly thought or knew that it was a goal is up for debate, but the evidence is strong that the entire ball was across the goal line.

I do believe that Mann was the better team and controlled the majority of the game. In a series, Mann would probably win. In a one game championship, Mann failed to capitalize on their opportunities, while Lexington took advantage of their chances. Mann has a great team, but sometimes great teams don't always win.

The referees did not cost Mann the game. Were there questionable calls? Certainly, but that is no different than any other game in any other sport. Mann had some good looks at the goal, but the shots didn't fall. And when Mann had defensive breakdowns, Lexington was able to put the ball in the net (or across the line).

Mann loses a great group of seniors, but there is no rebuilding for this team. They will simply reload and hopefully use this experience as ammunition and come back stronger and more powerful next year.

Well done, whoever you are. Thank you for representing your program well, and having a bit of class in a defeat.

G
Bench
Bench
G
....certainly Lex's #13 is player with great upside and fun to watch.. just think for this game she wasn't the clear cut "best player on the field" of many talented players....she was dynamic when on the ball but for me didn't track balls in the air well enough and failed to win enough balls in mid field to keep Mann from processing it. Mann's #7 in particular was able to win balls out of the air and was more of a ball winning physical presence in the mid field... maybe that is why Lex's best scoring chances came later in the game when they when they adjusted to play over rather than through mid field to spaces vacated by Mann's wandering outside backs. Lex's #12, #9 & #14 shined but Mann's #13, #23 and their keeper were also notable. Look forward to seeing both teams groups of underclassmen back next year

G
Bench
Bench
G
certainly Lex's #13 is player with great upside and fun to watch.. just think for this game she wasn't the clear cut "best player on the field" of many talented players....she was dynamic when on the ball but for me didn't track balls in the air well enough and failed to win enough balls in mid field to keep Mann from processing it. Mann's #7 in particular was able to win balls out of the air and was more of a ball winning physical presence in the mid field... maybe that is why Lex's best scoring chances came later in the game when they when they adjusted to play over rather than through mid field to spaces vacated by Mann's wandering outside backs. Lex's #12, #9 & #14 shined but Mann's #13, #23 and their keeper were also notable. Look forward to seeing both teams groups of underclassmen back next year

A
Bench
Bench
A
goal or no goal the AR said verbally "no goal". the most upsetting thing for our players was he changed his mind after many witnesses heard him say no goal. But i do agree with green15. Mann did not shut down their top players and that resulted in a loss. after watching the game on video i did notice that the ref was somewhat consistent in the first half, then something changed with his consistency in the second half and in overtime. Blatant foul on mann's number 13 in the box in overtime. her shorts were basically pulled off. kinda ironic the refs saw the ball bounce pass the line but didnt see this foul in the box. I think these refs shouldnt be allowed to ref another playoff/championship game again. as the AR changing his mind in the girls game did have another inconsistent game, the playoff game with Mann boys vs Fortmill if i recall correctly (correct me if im wrong). ironic to me. great game to watch. would love to see a rematch.

A
Bench
Bench
A
Excuse me the boys game with the same AR was Mann v.s Nation Ford.

432 Offline
Bench
Bench
Mann was easily getting frustrated by the non calls. They were held the whole game and kept from going after the ball. Especially during the first overtime. You can easily see it and so did the ref. He just didn't want to call it. Also, no one has mentioned Mann's center defenders. These are easily 2 of the best in the State. #19 has a scholarship to Mississippi State and has led Mann to 4 State finals, and the other one I believe a sophomore. Both are great defenders. Over the 4 years #19 played, they have only given up maybe 30 goal, while scoring over 500. That is why they didn't give up goals in the playoffs. The girl that played right back and was in on the last goal was not a defender, just fast, and put there for that reason. She mad a couple mistakes that cost them.

Mann is not used to playing soccer that way. They maintain procession and work the ball in. Most all of their goals this year came from crossing the ball and set plays. I will say this venue was a poor venue. They should have kept it at RiverBluff. Also, the wind played a major factor on the turf field. I think that Mann had the better team, but Lexington had the better game plan. They were prepared for Mann's offense. There still needs to be an inquiry about how this game was handled. SC doesn't have the best reputation. There is only about 5 girls going to Power 5 schools. 2 of them, didn't even bother to play high school because of these types of situations. Both going to USC and now at Mann.

Now my last opinion, if the referee had called the foul in the box in overtime, Mann would have won that game. They would have stacked the box like Lexington did the whole game.

O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Originally Posted By: 432
Mann was easily getting frustrated by the non calls. They were held the whole game and kept from going after the ball. Especially during the first overtime. You can easily see it and so did the ref. He just didn't want to call it. Also, no one has mentioned Mann's center defenders. These are easily 2 of the best in the State. #19 has a scholarship to Mississippi State and has led Mann to 4 State finals, and the other one I believe a sophomore. Both are great defenders. Over the 4 years #19 played, they have only given up maybe 30 goal, while scoring over 500. That is why they didn't give up goals in the playoffs. The girl that played right back and was in on the last goal was not a defender, just fast, and put there for that reason. She mad a couple mistakes that cost them.

Mann is not used to playing soccer that way. They maintain procession and work the ball in. Most all of their goals this year came from crossing the ball and set plays. I will say this venue was a poor venue. They should have kept it at RiverBluff. Also, the wind played a major factor on the turf field. I think that Mann had the better team, but Lexington had the better game plan. They were prepared for Mann's offense. There still needs to be an inquiry about how this game was handled. SC doesn't have the best reputation. There is only about 5 girls going to Power 5 schools. 2 of them, didn't even bother to play high school because of these types of situations. Both going to USC and now at Mann.

Now my last opinion, if the referee had called the foul in the box in overtime, Mann would have won that game. They would have stacked the box like Lexington did the whole game.

I thought JL Mann was the better team too for the most part. But, I think Lexington was due for a break here or there and they made one with a great shot totally unmarked. And, yes, the ball crossed the line and is quite visible in the WSPA-TV footage.

The goal in regulation that JLM scored was soft! GK was rooted and allowed a shot on entire frame. She looked like a tree falling to her right side on that score. The game winning goal was scored on a poor clear by JLM's #17. I expected a tougher defense for JLM but the central defenders got overlapped several times and they paid for it by an opportunistic Lexington side who seem to be really young.

Facility was brutal! Irmo had nice digs in 1996 and 2006, but not 2016. The black lines on the field are tough to see (look like shadows on the field) and the bathrooms are antiquated. I've never seen a team have to sit on benches outside of the playing area. Parking was atrocious and the canteen on the home side ran out of food, drinks, you name it! Now all of this is a 100% upgrade from the dump JL Mann plays at in Greenville. No way should a Patriot fan/player diss any other school's facilities.

T
Bench
Bench
T
Well said Old Gal. As a team that played JL Mann the prior weekend on Saturday, I was really surprised that nothing had changed from the previous soccer season when the DFHS boys had to play up there in 3rd round of the playoffs. The field had not changed one bit. Utterly embarrassing for JL Mann, can you say sand traps, potholes, and weed city. Again, as was case last year with the DFHS Boys, the DFHS girls had to endure atrocious field conditions that were probably no better, maybe even worse, than the playing fields you might see in a National Geographic photo op spread in some 3rd world country. Both Boys and Girls soccer coaches, the athletic director, and Principal of JL Mann High School should be embarrased to even call that place a soccer field or even entertain the idea of hosting a playoff game or regular season game. SCHSL should abolish the practice of all schools from having to play on such a dangerous field. Like Old Gal said, absolutely no parent of any JL Mann player should ever be allowed to complain about any other schools facilities or field/stadium conditions. Fix your own home before making comments about someone else's home. As was said last year, there are too many quality field options, within the general area of Greenville, where better fields exist and are a much safer alternative. JL Mann's soccer field is a risk to all kids who play on it - both JL Mann players and visiting players. As a Magnate school, and a school who tends to be the envy of many, both Academically and Athletically, it boggles the mind how bad of a facility you can have. Again, not 30 yards from the soccer field, there is a baseball field that is PRISTINE and well manicured, their outfield looks like an Augusta National fairway. The soccer field looks like a grazing cow pasteur. One that you might see as you ride through the beautiful Woodruff country side heading up to Greenville. Here is a suggestion, Get some TURF (plenty of big industry in upstate - naming rights to stadium maybe). If turf idea fails, pay Saint Joe's to rent their soccer field for playoffs - .5 miles up the street. Play at the Kroc Center if needed. Safer alternatives and options exists. Sorry to go on about this again, but I find it ironic how some within this very post are so mad that Lexington won (Legit win by the way - evidence proved it - camera don't lie), they are stooping to the level to complain about Irmo facilities and the wind! Gimme a break, Gimme a break, break yourself off a piece of that Kitt Katt bar and swallow some humility and dignity. Lose with class and don't try to blame the field conditions, the bathrooms, the PA system, Rawlings balls, or the wind.

PS - That was a GREAT game between two tough talented teams, no matter how you slice it. You hate that one team had to win and one team had to lose, but that is the nature of the game. 2 years ago, I saw a team take 25 shots and only make 1 goal. I watched their opponent take 5 shots and make 3 goals. At the end of the day, Lexington made it count when it needed to, JL Mann did not. JL Mann probably had more chances, but they failed to seize the opportunities they were given or created. Lexington pulled a Carpe Diem moment when they needed to.

Soccer Dad
P
Bench
Bench
P
I want to preface this by saying that I don't have a dog in this fight. I got there early to get a seat for the Clover/RB game and since the games were so far behind, I got to watch most of this game.

As for the 70 mins or so that I got to watch, it was a really great game to watch. Both sides had opportunities, I felt Mann should have netted a couple of their shots they had. It also appeared as the match went on that Lexington wore Mann down, there were a few Mann players that were dealing with cramps. I believe this may have played a role in the outcome also.

As for the officiating....I didn't really have a problem with the majority of the calls/no calls. There is a case to be made for the foul in the box in OT, but that is also a tough call from where the center is. It's always tough to tell the angle an official has with 22 players on the field, I assume it's pretty easy to get screened and unable to view play at all times.

As for the golden goal...From where I was seating, I obviously couldn't tell at the time that it had crossed the line (I believe we can all agree now, that it was in fact a goal). But, I could tell from the AR's immediate reaction that he believed it was a goal. He immediately made a bee line up the field to signal a goal. That's probably a very tough call to make and I don't believe he's getting enough credit for calling that goal correctly. (Can you imagine the reaction if he hadn't called it and then the video came out later showing it was good?). There has been some discussion that he should have raised his flag first and then ran up the field. I, personally, believe that this action may have added some confusion. Mann might have believed he was calling offsides and then changed his mind once he talked to the center ref.

All in all a great game to watch (much better to watch than the game I actually went to watch) and congrats to both teams on a great season.

One more thing, the Mann coach may owe the Lexington girls and officials an apology. Maybe it was the heat of the moment of the loss (similar to Cam Newton after the Super Bowl), but he probably should have took a few minutes to calm down before giving that interview. I've never had any interaction with him, so I hope it was just a slight judgement error and that he usually is a great coach and example to his girls.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard