Next Thread
Print Thread
#11120 04/08/03 01:50 PM
G
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
G
I have heard that a high school principal has put into effect a rule that if anyone gets a red card he (I guess she too) is automaticaly off the team regardless Varsity or JV. Any thoughts on this?
I know of one JV player that is gone.

#11121 04/08/03 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a coach, I would have to say that a blanket rule like that will not work. It sounds like a policy made up by someone who doesn't know anything about soccer, in particular about how inconsistent reffing is. I've seen kids get red carded on Wednesday for stuff that was OK on Monday. Connect it to other sports. Can you imagine tossing a player off a basketbball team if he was double teched? If he was a college prospect? I don't know what high school we're talking about, but that's a bad idea.

#11122 04/08/03 02:15 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Good response Coach Brown. A red card carries such a stigma of "bad notions" -- something you don't associate with a 15-yard "Personal Foul" in football or a "Flagrant Foul" in basketball that results in two free throws and automatic possession of the basketball.

Sounds to me like someone needs to enlighten this "Principal" about soccer -- rules and etiquette. If a red card is issued to a player that pulls down an opponent on a break-away -- that's part of the game (and no punishment should be warranted off the pitch).

However, if the red card is issued because of foul language or poor sportsmanship, then that problem needs to be addressed by the coach, parent(s), and school administrators. I witnessed a match in Columbia recently that left me in disbelief of how a player was not red carded because of his/her foul mouth and blatant disrespect of an official. Even more amazing was the nonchalant attitude of his/her coaches after coming off the field. That left me shaking my head!

#11123 04/08/03 03:07 PM
G
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
G
I agree with all that has been said. I will not post which High School this is (yet). You will probably find out after others read this post. I was going to approach the principal in regards to his so called rule, but my son did not want me to, so I won't (yet). Yes, I agree that the principal has NO understanding of the game of soccer. I have yet to see him at a game. What is the difference from fouling out of a basketball game (five fouls out of game vs. two yellows = red card out of game and off team) or being disqualified from a wrestling match for accumilation of stalling pts, illegal holds,technical violations, false starts etc. or a baseball player or coach being ejected from a game. The player is already punished for a red card by having to set out the next game.

#11124 04/08/03 03:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GFCPOP21

Why don't you go ask your principal if he kicks a basketball player of the team for fouling out? How about a football player for getting a 15 yd personal foul or getting ejected after the second one? I bet not! We as soccer people need to explain this type of thing to "nonsoccer"people! He needs to understand that unless it is fighting or verbally abusing an officla that a red card is some part of the game! I am not saying that a red card for punching or spitting is acceptable but one for a hard challenge that is the last man back that saves a goal is something different!

Just explain it to like he is a two year old! That's his mindset anyway!!!
Shearer

#11125 04/08/03 07:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. The punishment is way to harsh and the principal has no clue what he is doing in the case. Good reading guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard