These questions were posed to our SCHSSCA membership by the SCHSL and were posted via SportsYou and submitted to the SCHSL on January 19, 2024. [b](1) Do you favor an extension of the SCHSL Soccer Playoffs for the future? This would swap with Softball and Soccer would result in three weeks rather than the current two. [/b] Yes - 53 No - 3 [i]Comments:[/i] Misael Garzon - Absolutely. As long as more teams aren’t added to the playoffs. John Teller - Current format with three (3) games in one week is not physiologically sound. It is particularly unfair in “bye” situations where one team may only play two (2) games that week and another would be playing their third (3rd). In addition, if promotion of high school soccer is one of the goals for having a soccer season and playoff tournament three (3) weeks would allow better “exposure time” for the playoffs. [b](2) Which of the following scenarios do you support for JV Soccer? [/b] Match ends in a tie after 60 minutes of play - 30 Match goes directly to penalty kicks after 60 minutes - 36 Match proceeds to a 10-minute overtime followed by penalty kicks if still tied - 5 [i]Comments:[/i] Stephen Jackson 10 days ago Ends in tie Will Chassereau 10 days ago I would favor going directly to penalty kicks; it may delay the start of the varsity match by a little but I want my JV players to have some experience with the different pressures of a shootout before they reach the Varsity level where it can truly affect the results. User Avatar Eric Navarro 10 days ago I agree with the sentiment of Will. Kicks from the spot are a rare experience so when provided the opportunity, they should take it. Sub-varsity is for player development. How can they do this if they are never provided an opportunity? John Mills 10 days ago I, too, agree with Will and Eric. I would add that the varsity head coaches should have discretion to do so. Cases like weather may make it better to not have jv complete PKs. Bit it should be the coaches, not the ref, who just want to go home, to make that decision. Christopher Dundr 10 days ago Can we just end all games (Varsity and JV) in ties? That is in the spirit of the game and would bring in all of the tactical approaches of playing different styles depending upon who you are playing. For JV straight to PK, especially since schools are traveling on Tuesday nights 90+ minutes to play a region game. Stephen Wood 10 days ago PK's don't take up THAT much time, but they add so much to a game. They give the players big moments to try and keep calm in, and they give the fans something to cheer for. I'd gladly start a Varsity game 10 minutes late so my JV can enjoy PK's. Will Chassereau 10 days ago By the same token, not in favor of the 10 minutes of overtime; it is still important to consider getting the varsity games started relatively on time, travel time for the visiting teams, etc. and 10 more minutes of the same experience isn't as important as getting the very different experience of a shootout. Chris Fryland 10 days ago Leave as a tie Tim Green 10 days ago It really does not matter if we end in tie, penalty kicks, or overtime then kicks. There just needs to be consistency among coaches and referees. It has been my experience that some officials will not let there be overtime for JV games, regardless if the coaches want it. Stephen Jackson 10 days ago Refs are wrong an so are coaches. SCHSL rules are clear. JV must play two 5 min periods then pk if still tied. However Tim I have encountered this many times as a coach an referee. In fact last year I had to correct the official I was working with about this very rule. He wanted to go to pks cause that’s what he’s always done ?! Really. He argued with me for 5 mins! Christopher Dundr 10 days ago The bigger problem is when the refs do OT and PKs and then demand that the varsity game starts at 7 with no warm-up time on the field. We have had this happen on multiple occasions. Thus my vote for ending in a tie. KC Dunbaker 10 days ago Leave as a tie and agree with Dundr… why not leave all Varsity as a tie as well (like every other league in the world) and then use W-L-T point system to determine region finish. User Avatar Misael Garzón 10 days ago Tie. Too much time added if you do PKs. I understand that the experience would be great & the atmosphere of a PK shootout for a JV game would be great, but if I’m traveling to Charleston on a Tuesday night I don’t want to stay any later than I need to. Imagine a varsity game starting @ 7:30 cuz of JV & then varsity ends up going to PKs as well Tim Green 10 days ago Stephen, I agree 100%. The SCHSL did rule the two 5s and pks, but then were vague adding it could end in a tie if there were a long delay in the JV game or it was extremely late getting started. Believe it or not we actually had an official try to end a varsity game in a tie! John Mills 10 days ago “Right. Y'all do ties here. Sorry. That's going to take some getting used to for me. 'Cause back where I'm from, you try to end a game in a tie, well, that might as well be the first sign of the apocalypse.” -Ted Lasso User Avatar Phillip McCarter 9 days ago I am with Coach Dundr. All matches other than playoffs and knock out stages of tournaments should end in ties. Varsity barely has time to warm up on the field once JV matches end. Delaying the varsity starts just places student athletes getting home later on school nights. Two 10 min OTs plus kicks can add another 45 minutes to Varsity matches, which again gets kids home late and with playing at least two matches per week, is too many minutes from a periodization perspective too. User Avatar Phillip McCarter 9 days ago Sorry, 5 min OT periods (but usually takes 10 min with the breaks, etc.) User Avatar Bob Taylor 9 days ago I would rather see JV games extended to 40 minute Halves. Ryan Jones 8 days ago Crap or get off the pot. Lol User Avatar Dale Bacino 8 days ago Keep it simple and standard for everyone....All games (V and JV) end in a tie with W-L-T point system for standaings. One way to have continuity between club and HS rules as well. Playoffs are different of course. John Teller 2 days ago What is the actual reality for penalty shoot outs? Currently, commonly accepted method for breaking a “tie” at the highest levels of soccer competition. Most commonly ONLY in games that are part of a “tournament advancing” match. (May not be the best method, i.e.- old NASL 35 yard line shoot out). JV player development ----> reality is for girls the best players are probably already on Varsity as freshmen; boys becoming more like girls as well. Reality: especially in many areas travel for games is extensive, TIME CONSIDERATION needs to be a factor. COMPROMISE: no shoot out on weeknight games, Friday & Saturday only by prior to start of the game agreement by both teams and officials. John Teller 2 days ago What is the reality for penalty shoot outs? It is the current and commonly accepted format for breaking ties at the higher levels of soccer in “TOURNAMENT ADVANCING” matches. (It may not be the best, i.e.- old NASL 35 yard shoot out !!!). In many areas the extensive travel for matches must be considered. JV player development ----> reality is especially with the girls the majority of players who would be contributing at the varsity level are already on the varsity by 9th grade (boys increasingly so). COMPROMISE: no PK's on weeknight games, Friday & Saturday by mutual agreement between both teams and officials PRIOR to the start of the game. Collin Phillips 2 days ago Match ends after 60 minutes.

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 01/20/24 12:09 AM.