Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19346 09/03/04 05:10 PM
B
bruin Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
B
In previous posts, USC has received alot of criticism for failing to recruite many South Carolina high school players. A quick glance at this year's rosters for other in state teams shows that Coastal has 2 SC players, Clemson has one player from SC and Furman also has one SC player (although this player went to school in Florida). What's up with these schools? I don't recall any outcry about their lack of recruiting in SC.

#19347 09/03/04 05:30 PM
T
throw in
throw in
T
Bruin,

good point. USC has 2 from SC.

#19348 09/03/04 05:41 PM
B
bruin Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
B
I believe USC has three SC players on this year's roster. Certainly not a large number but more than these other schools.

#19349 09/04/04 04:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was on the USC team for two weeks before I quit and there were two guys from SC: myself and one other from Columbia who is a transfer from Coastal Carolina. None of the SC colleges, including USC did any recruiting toward me or anybody else I know. As far as I know, USC looks at Texas, Florida, and the northern states for recruiting purposes.

#19350 09/04/04 07:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The SC schools are going to look hard at quality players, regardless of location. In the past they may have overlooked some local Boys, but not any longer.

My Son Robert only played one year for IMG in Florida. He was on the Furman/CCU/CofC radar screen when he played in SC.

Next year the SC ODP 1987 Boys team will be heavily recruited in SC. I have already spoken to some Boys verbally commited at USC (2) and Clemson (1). The facts are that these kids and some of the Aiken Fire players ARE good enough to play D1 at good schools. I personally think some of the GFC players (like Fuzy - C of C), are also good enough.

So I predict it will be an exciting year for local players at SC schools. Watch out for some of them to make a big impact in a couple of years.

#19351 09/07/04 02:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sckeeper22 y did you quit?

#19352 09/07/04 09:17 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I wanted to offer my $.02. It is a fact that in the past a number of DI quality players have been overlooked by some of the in-state schools, particularly USC and Clemson.

I have been critical of this from a standpoint as a high school soccer coach (and club as well) that our in-state schools have not paid attention to their own backyard, and have opted to go out-of-state for the same caliber players.

I have seen a definite reverse of course by USC and applaud the Gamecocks coaching staff for recognizing that our state produces some quality talent as well. It's true that we don't have the volume of top players such as Georgia or North Carolina -- nor do we have the population -- but we do have 4-5 legitimate players a year that are capable of making the 24-man roster at our two largest institutions.

I also know that both the College of Charleston and Coastal Carolina have actively recruited our state from the DI perspective.

Almost all of our DII schools are familiar with our high school talent and often inquire about prospective players.

It's refreshing to see the collegiate programs recognizing the fact that they need to place an emphasis on being familiar and know our prep players. Some may be offered, some may not, but as long as the collegiate staffs are aware of our players abilities then we should be satisfied that if they are indeed not offered, then the collegiate teams may have better options elsewhere -- which has not been the case in recent years.

#19353 09/08/04 01:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recently attended the soccer academy run by Coach Lundy, C of C at Asheville, noted he was looking at a variety of players from numerous southeastern
states especially SC, NC, Ga and VA.

#19354 10/06/04 03:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't have to passion to play as much as I have had in the past. Don't get me wrong, I still love to play and still do here in Columbia, but I couldn't commit as much time as needed to be a good collegiate soccer player and still do well in school...I'm not exactly a genius. =)

#19355 10/07/04 04:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know of a few instances where USC has tried to recruit in state players but when they approched them for scholorships they had already signed to another school. As for players that are there now, I am not sure exactly how many in state players are there, but I do know that one of them is leaving to go and play over in europe for a team that is based out in London.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard