Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
benp Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
My topic is school choice (I know i already talked about this, but i am more interested now)

I am interested in leaving private school, but I am zoned for Keenan, and I absolutely will not go there. What is my chance of going to a different school in or outside of my district, and what do i have to do to do that. Also, I know that they are trying to pass something about school choice this summer, I guess that would solve my problem, but what do you think about school choice?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think in Richland One (like RNE) you can go to any of those schools as long as you provide transportation, but i'm not positive

benp Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
that is helpful, anyone know anything more?

brace
brace
Certain schools in Greenville county (Mann, Greenville, Southside and others) are magnet schools, in which a person can apply to go to this school for a particular type of program regardless of which school he lives in. Each school has a general specialty I believe (Math and science for one, arts for another). I do not know if other counties or cities in the state have anything similar.

benp Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
that is interesting. Does anyone know about the midlands?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well i know u could pay to go to a school out of ur district. you gotta find a ride thou.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Does SC have a school of choice rule that allows you to go to any school that you want to as long as you can get a ride to and from that school? I know we have that law here that allows for that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
benp-
Don't know about school district rules, but there are SCHSL eligibility issues to consider.

The following is an excerpt from the SCHSL Constitution. The whole residency and transfer issue is fuzzy in some places, but I think these sections would apply. As I read it, it implies that you can transfer from a private school to a member school that is outside your home attendance area, if it is IB or Magnet, one time. You can't transfer for athletic purposes only. I know that the SCHSL reviews individual eligibility cases. I would guess that if there were other legitimate means for enrolling outside your attendance area, they would review it. But I would sure get some feedback from them before I did it if eligibility is a factor in your decision.

Section 9. Transfers
A transfer student will have immediate eligibility at the new school provided he transfers under one of the
following circumstances and provided he:
1. Is eligible to represent the school from which he transferred (see note)
2. Did not transfer for athletic reasons
3. Had not participated on an outside team in which a coach or volunteer coach from the school
the student is transferring to had coached or had input into the selection of the outside team.
The student would be ineligible in that sport only for one year.
NOTE: A transfer student must have been eligible to represent his former school academically as well as eligible under any district, school or athletic policy that was in place when the student transferred.

B. A student legally transfers to another school in the same district at the beginning of his/her 9th grade year provided the student and his/her family live in the school district.

C. A student transfers from a nonmember school to a member school.
1. The student's parents must live in the attendance area of the member school.
2. The student cannot have participated in the sport in which he wishes to be certified during the current school year at the school from which he is transferring. If a student transfers from outof-state to in-state with a bona fide change of residence, this rule is not in effect.
3. The student must have been enrolled in the nonmember school for at least 45 days prior to
transferring.

D. A student who attends an IB or Magnet School program offered by the school district will have a
one time move to that program and a one time move back to his/her home school without loss of
eligibility. The move to or from these programs must be made the first day of school. A move at any other time will require a one-year waiting period for the student to be eligible.

Hope that helps.

benp Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
that is interesting as well (but the problem is that I suck at soccer, so even if I was eligible, I probably wouldn't make the team)

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
One of my friends was in the same situation.
He was zoned for Keenan as well.
But he went to AC flora because Keenan did not have Russian and Flora did.

But tha was in the 90s so I do not know if it is still the rule

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard