Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
alright so basically from being at the game and seeing that james island is a bunch of pansies first hand, and the fact that they cant beat a grade A team like valley so they start fouling like crazy to try and intimidate obviously the best team on the field, valleys taking lower state accept that facts, they couldnt take the valley fans being supportive of their team and were taking out of the game, valleys taking it all this year boys at least you can say you got beat in the tournament by the state champs

T
throw in
throw in
T
The controversial free kick taken about 8 minutes left in the match went something like this: 35 yards out a lofted ball was placed inside Spring Valley's box and immediatley the keeper calls for it, jumps up to catch it, and the ball slips through his fingers. It was very clear to everyone in attendance that the keeper missed this ball. The ball then hits the ground once before a James Island player volleys it into the net. The whistle came after the play was completely over, a call that truly looked as though the center official was playing favorites. I hate to blame them, but when they know all the players by name it just makes you wonder. Well fought match from both teams

bench
bench
I am assuming the statement about Woodmont was a crack on my post. Well, I really do not care what anyone on here thinks about my 'sportsmanship' or if they think I am a 'sore loser'. That really does not matter to me. I call them like I see them. However, if I was a sore loser, I would be saying that they lost all their games due to the refs, however, this is not the case. For example, when they played Seneca at home, they only lost by what could be considered a questionable PK. The foul for the PK itself was valid, the 'questionable' part came in when the keeper deflected the PK, they gave Seneca another shot at it and this one went in. Although the keepers actions that lead to the rekick was called, I left it like it was, because as far as PK's and keeper placement during and after the play, I am unsure of the rules. Since the game would have went into OT had it not been for the PK, you would think Woodmont had a shot at beating them in the 2nd game against them, however they lost 6-1. Now, if I was a sore loser, I would have blamed that lose on the refs, or maybe could have even blamed it on poor field conditions, since Seneca does have one of the crappiest, not well maintained fields I have seen. However, I know they lost that one because they did not play up to their ability. The refs in that game, had some questionable calls and some questionable fouls that were not called on both teams. Yet, my opinion is that they called the game fairly overall.
I truly beleive there are some good to great refs out there that really care about the sport, and try to the best of their ability to call the games fair. On the same hand, I think that there are some that just do not care and basically go into the game, decide which team they want to 'help out' and see how many people for the other team they can get ticked off. Or, they spend the whole game thinking about the McDonalds that they saw down the street on the way to the field. I also beleive that one good or bad call can set the momentum for the entire game, and in some cases can cost one team to lose the game.
I do not, however, agree with the statement that Seniors can lose their careers because of a bad call. If a senior has a chance to continue his career in college, in most cases the offers are made by the college and excepted by the player prior to the play-offs starting. The offering colleges are not going to look at the players performance or team record from one game in the playoffs, they look at the high school (and/or club) career of the player and maybe the overall record of the team. One game in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs, good refs or bad refs are not going to cost a Senior his career.

coach
coach
Yes, I thought I heard someone say Woodmont redux.
We have gotta do something about 'those biased refs' who determine the outcomes of all those games, even before they leave home to come to the games!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BenP, Two years ago, Spring Valley lost 1-0 to Northwestern in the Upper State finals (when both were in the same region).

S
Bench
Bench
S
What is all the hype about Spring Valley? There fans are obnoxious and there players are a bunch of babies. A player off there team spit in one of James Island's players face last night and James Island, I thought, handled it pretty well. I mean if someone spit straight in your face it takes a lot to not rear back and punch the kid in the face.

coach
coach
Well, if its not seen by the ref then you just gotta wipe it off. If it is seen, the player should be tossed and I would recommend suspended for 5 games.

B
bench
bench
B
Soccer Watcher, you could stand some English review. The word is their, not there. As some one who video-taped the entire game, let me just say that the ref made the correct call. Some four James Island players were definitely going for the goalie and not the ball. That's why the foul was called and for your information, the play was called before the ball "slipped" through the goalie's finger. There's no doubt that James Island came ready to play however they were not able to muscle the better team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree with Bmiddy, and soccerWatcher.. I dont see how you can say that the SV boys were a bunch of babies! I was def. at the game and from what i saw.. the only crying that was seen on the field was from the JI boys! Further more.. why do you even worry about the fans.. you just need to get out there and play your game and not worry about what other people are saying! So stop your complaing, the game is over and done with and the better team came out on top!

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
This was a well fought match between two very good, evenly matched teams. Each side had their chances. It was a very emotional game, as playoff matches are, compounded by the fact that one of our player’s step-father had passed away the day before. I respect that Spring Valley players and fans believe a foul preceded the James Island goal. I don’t think any James Island supporter will ever believe there was one, and they will feel James Island tied the game. That’s the nature of the game we love. Several good teams lost last night. Many seniors state-wide will not be state champions and will face a similar end to their high school soccer experience. That too is the nature of the game. Any of us who have been the parent or coach of a senior who has lost a playoff game, or been in that situation ourselves as a player, know it can be a very emotional experience. Let’s try to respect that. There were several events that happened off the ball and a lot of physical play. But for every bit of pushing and shoving that happened at the end of the game, I also saw players on each side hugging, shaking hands, and trying to stop a situation that had not been controlled. I’m really proud of those players. Good luck to the seniors on each team in soccer and in life.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard