Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And what was with the field? There were probably 3 to 4 good counter attacks combined, probably more in SV's favor, that were halted becuase players slipping on the playing surface. Did that happen alot in the other finals besides the 4A?

J
world cup
world cup
J
Isn't it more likely that these players aren't used to playing on such a well kept field..rather than it's the field's fault?

And just a note on Walhalla/BE. I was very impressed with Walhalla. I'd never seen them before and they were pretty good (lots of "latin flare"). Contrary to what someone said earlier..they played BE step for step. I didn't see the first goal, but the 2nd was just an own goal AND with about 5 min. to go Walhalla had a goal called back because the player didn't touch the ball when he faked on an indirect kick. Regardless of that play..both teams played quality soccer. It was a good 2A match (though it didn't have the intensity of Chapin/Emerald vs BE).

throw in
throw in
thanks for the clarification on the red card. i really couldn't see what he did that got him thrown out.

P
throw in
throw in
P
magpie, the score board clock was the official clock for the game, thats why the ref was signaling to the time to stop clock on goals,injuries,and cards.

P
throw in
throw in
P
duce, the field was in great shape. the players were slipping all day due the poor cleats. most teams don't play on such a groomed field, they needed the 3/4in cleats and there wouldn't have been a problem.

F
bench
bench
F
Well I'm sure everyone would agree that both of these teams are the best around when it comes to building attacks in the midfield. The game that these two teams are playing nowadays is in fact completely opposite of "kickball". Both teams were superb. I do agree that Northwestern didn't build their attacks through the midfield like they normally do; but that's the way it goes, sometimes they had to look to skip the midfield and go straight to the forwards and build upon them. I think a lot of it had to do with the 1-0 lead, especially in the 2nd half. Obviously things start to get frantic in those situations, so clearing the ball constantly is understandable. It seemed as though Spring Valley had a bit more presence in midfield, it looked like Northwestern was giving them too much time and not pressuring enough, which led to some pretty nice build-ups.
As far as the red goes, the SV defender fouled first, they both went down, they both get up and Kropp says something to the ref for a red. There wasn't any violence in the act, I thought that should be cleared up.
Overall it was a great game to watch, even if the one goal was a pk. Both teams deserved to be there last night. Congratulations to all of the state champions

goal kick
goal kick
Random thoughts on NW/SV

Yes it was a foul in the box. Refs did a GREAT job. AR’s were un-noticed, doing what they are supposed to do. On the shoulder/push save by NW, the AR was in position and paying attention. If the ball had crossed the plane he would have called it.

MY opinion, NW won because they forced SV to play their game, the equivalent of the Basketball fast break. Push it up and let Enzo and Kropp make it happen. This works for them and they have the crown to prove it. I kept waiting for SV to slow it down and try and build an attack but I never saw it. Possession and constructed attacks were never a part of this game on either side. It was disappointing to see the lack of TEAM ball control on both sides. There were lots of players on both sides that can do great things with the ball individually, but the passing game for both sides was not what I expected to see at a state final.

RE: Flynn playing injured. Does he help his team? Is it worth risking a career ending mistake and injury? At 100% does he change the game? Does he make a difference even by playing? I couldn’t even begin to answer. This is a Class kid and a great athlete.

The midfield was vacant for much of the night on both sides. There was often a gap of 30 – 40 yards between the defenders and the play. Dropping back and resetting a play wasn’t on any ones agenda. While disappointing for my old school sensibilities, I think this style of play favored NW.

The wider field didn’t give that much advantage to NW. SV defense was awesome. I think that they realized that Enzo’s instinct is to keep the ball and played him accordingly. If he can get defenders more worried about who he is going to give it to rather than what move he is going to make I think NW is in for a couple of repeats.

The Red card was deserved. I don’t think he meant to kick him in the head, but the foot dragging looked intentional from where I was sitting (directly in front, three rows up) and Kropp has more going for him than to get involved in stuff like that.

NW earned this win by dictating the style of play. They didn’t dominate (or demonate) but this sure was a fun game to watch. I was hoping SV would score an equalizer just for the fun of seeing this go to OT.

God I love this game. Wait ‘till next year!

coach
coach
Many Thanks to all the Championship team! It is always a highly organized, class presentation at Stone. Especially when the Heises are involved.

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by philly:
Too bad the ref swallowed his whistle in the last 5 min of the 4A game. Goalie for NW got away with 2 handed shove on a ball in the goal mouth and nothing was called, but he calls a PK in first 5 min. of the game. I f you are going to call it then, have the nuts to call it late.

yea but enzo was fouled again in the box, late in the game and pretty blatent, i see you say nothing about that call, but only complain about the NW keeper, and remember, keepers have a bit more freedom when it comes to taking players out, the ref might not have called it b/c he felt the keeper was trying to get the ball

im not saying that is what happened, i do not remember exactly what you are talking about

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
as reported by the state newspaper Dreher had 19 shots to Riverside's 9 shots...with a little luck this game could have been different...not to say that Riverside isn't a good team...I hope we meet up again next year...

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard