Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
G
Hillcrest Girls varsity is in need for a scrimmage or game. Please contact Karl Casida at KarlCasida@aol.com

World Cup
World Cup
Is that their new coach? Where did he come from? What happened to Riddlehoover?

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
R1C --

How are the lady Jackets looking this year? What does region 1 look like?

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
Has it been a year already? Here in the foothills we are planning for a bottom heavy, but athletic, year. Two seniors, three juniors, and the rest are going to be playing here for quite some time. All but three were involved in club, one team in particular won the league championship. The bad news is that it was the recreational division and they were quickly dismissed from their only tournament entry. They played, they won, they're happy, and that's all I wanted. Confidence and fundamentals are up from a year in which we could not spell the two words. Parents are jumping on board, kids are attending camp, and I have talent developing quickly. Everyone is doing the work to make the program steam away in the right direction. If we get the ship righted, I'll look favorably towards the past and be pleased in my decision to shade my eyes from the appealing "sparkle" in the distance.

Enough blabbering. Mauldin is Mauldin. Enough said. 2002-03 Mauldin? No. Greenwood has a new coach and birds whisper in the air of players coming out for the team that remained hidden under the previous faction. Hanna is exxxxxxxtremely young and raw, but hoping to trump with the underdog card. As the wind blows south I hear that Hillcrest is rebuilding instead of reloading. I'll believe that after the game. Easley has one player to rest moderate hopes on and Westside is attempting to kick down their door en route to some place other than the cellar.

Now, if you could politely return the favor for "The Region of No Return".

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
R1C --

Thanks for the region 1 update.

Region 7 probably is a more even playing field than ever before. West Ashley and James Island continue to have at their core most of the girls from Andy Grist's CGSA Fusion (2003 State champs U-17) team. West Ashley appears to have lost senior starter Demetrius Gibbs due to a family move to Columbia. Meech has a very athletic and powerful game, especially down the playoff stretch -- the Mauldin defenders should certainly remember her for her two championship goals. She'll be missed. Otherwise offensively WA is about the same. Danielle Jordan (Super 18 defender) played injured during the fall season and will hopefully be back at full speed by the spring. JI should be killer this year -- no significant loss of talent by graduation and a very gifted group of girls who know each other well and play together year round. Wando returns forward Kelly McGinty (SC's 4-A top scorer 2003) as well as Clemson bound Lou Hudson. Abi Nicholas graduated and thus will be unable to sing the National Anthem and/or score goals on a regular basis for the Warriors. Again, Region 7 is a great place to watch girls' soccer and the matches should be a lot of fun.

lpaf

ps: About sparkle. I tried to be a Unitarian once for about 6 months but in the end just couldn't and so wandered back off into the wilderness. In general I didn't like their music which had been, more or less, stripped of politically incorrect gender references to the Almighty and such. Anyway, one hymn I was fond of was the Shaker song, " Tis a Gift". My favorite line is " tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free. Tis a gift to come down where you ought to be." I figure the key is figuring out where you ought to be and then being there. After all, everything has to be somewhere.

C
goal
goal
C
I think this year and next will be great years for Women's Soccer across the US. This year will be the first of the young world cup soccer players. The HS teams will be made of mostly clubs players or at least ones that play club at some time in theit young lives instead of just a few club players and they rest being introduced to the soccer ball. The last two-three years you have already seen a jump in talent but wait until this year. I think the jump will be big, very big. I believe new dominant teams will rise because of these young players. This Freshman class will help change the view of HS soccer not being competitive.

Good luck to all the teams. Just remember no matter how good you are, there is always someone better....

Link Copied to Clipboard