Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#52263 05/07/06 11:06 PM
Goal
Goal
Good to see Irmo, Lexington, Brookland-Cayce, and Chapin in the girls semifinals again. We are at least guaranteed some Midlands soccer representation in the finals at USC.

#52264 05/08/06 12:49 AM
F
kick off
kick off
F
Hey Joe I agree - how about when they called half time while we were setting up for a corner kick. I have never heard of ending a half before a penalty is kicked.

#52265 05/08/06 12:52 AM
P
throw in
throw in
P
I don't thnik I've ever seen so many poor losers as are posting nwo for FM. OK, FM dominated. Teh refs gvae teh game to Lex. Nobody on the wildcats team really stood out. We would hvae been better but...

#52266 05/08/06 06:24 AM
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
The facts are just being stated, nothing is being taken away from lexington. It was probably the best match of the year, everyone, FM AND LEXINGTON, are simply agreeing that the officiating was very poor for both sides. Some of those calls could have affected the outcome, clear hand ball in the box, calling half time before a corner, simply poor officiating for a third round playoff game. No one is taking anything away from Lexington and no one ever said they didn't deserve it. Hopefully we will have the priveledge to play each other again next year. Good Luck lexington, I don't believe you all will have any trouble against Dorman, wish you all the best.

#52267 05/08/06 11:28 AM
P
throw in
throw in
P
wah, wah, wah.

#52268 05/08/06 12:59 PM
F
bench
bench
F
Pilgrim: Please note that only two posters fall into that category, and the silent majority of us FM folks have to accept the summary of the game: Lex 2, FM 1, Whatifs 0

#52269 05/08/06 01:22 PM
P
throw in
throw in
P
Mr.FM6,

It only taeks two whiners to give teh whole fan base a black eye. tell tehm to be quiet and wait for next year.

#52270 05/08/06 01:24 PM
world cup
world cup
Great game Friday night, I just got the opportunity to read the above posts.

Refs...give them a break. We have been harping on this subject all year. They did not effect the outcome of this game. Maybe they missed some calls, but it went both ways. The team that scored the goal in OT, the better team Friday night, won. Congrats Lex, life goes on for FM.

Deahler, LF, Chico and all Lex fans. Whiskey & Easy has a point. The spring season on the boards would have been a lot more fun if you guys would have engaged in lively conversation earlier in the season. You have a great team, you obviously let the "girls do the talking on the field". It would have been fun to have heard from you more earlier this year, we know you were out there lurking ;>)

Chico, it is possible to engage in conversation without shamelessly promoting your favorite girl or your favorite team. I understand what you are saying and I think I have managed to engage in adult conversation without sounding petulant, juvenile or whiney. When the Club Forum starting going "down hill", regarding all the SCYSA crap, i wish you would have jumped over here. I value your contribution. Please don't wait so long next year because I know Lex will be back.

As for the game.......

After a 45-minute rain delay, Lex came out like a house of fire and beat FM to every ball. They played clean and physical and controlled play. FM weathered the storm and settled in a bit but the first half edge clearly went to Lex. Lex's first goal originated from a less-than-stellar goal kick. The Wildcats knocked it back into FM's box and after a series of flails and knockarounds, it's in the back of the net. Not pretty, but well-deserved.

The highlight of my night occurred toward the end of halftime, when deahler and Chico ran onto the field in their skivvies. I'll tell you, deahler can really shake it like a polaroid picture!

Second half started like the first. Lex did a tremendous job of not giving the FM players any space. Ashleigh Sheets (4) and Danielle Schmitt (11) fought hard but both the Lex midfield and defense gave these players no time. With about 20 - 25 minutes to play, Coach Finnerty moves Rachel Datz (8) from center defense to center midfield. Subsequently, FM starts getting the better of play. FM earns a free kick from about 40 yards out and the ball is played into the box to Schmitt's feet. She has no room and the ball is knocked out to Datz who is around the corner of the 18. Datz lofts a nice little left-footed curler barely over (or off) Erica Deahl's fingertips, the ball hits the bottom of the crossbar and goes in. 1-1.

FM has the momentum and we have about 15 minutes to go. FM has worked very hard for the equalizer and Coach Finnerty drops Datz back into the center of the defense. The last 10 minutes of regulation, in my opinion, were the most critical of the match. Suprisingly, for the first time all night, FM has space. I think Lex spent a tremendous amount of energy playing high pressure for 70 minutes...and now they appear either conservative, or a little winded. FM has time on the ball that they hadn't seen all night. Sheets gets sent free down the right side and she is bearing down on the Lex goal at a tight angle. Sheets has the hardest shot on the FM team and Deahl is poised to defend the goal. Instead of pulling the trigger, Sheets slides the ball across the face of the goal to an open Cathryn Wilson (17) who is set to end the match. 95% of the goalkeepers that I have seen this year would not have done what the Lex keeper did. Deahl anticipated correctly and snuffed out the short cross with a fine sliding save. This to me, was the key moment in the match. Deahl doesn't make that stop, it's game over. We never see OT. Lex didn't have the energy at that point.

First OT, FM might have had a slight edge. Strange that it was blown dead when FM was setting up for a corner. Second OT, even until the 8th minute. After a long shot from Lexi Wilden (7), Deahl's punt is taken by Campbell who does a tremendous job of getting the edge on the FM defender and sending a perfectly timed ball through the split-defense to Johns. Johns makes a great run and one-times the ball past the charging FM keeper.

Great goal....easily the best FM yielded all season. I walked out of the stadium disappointed, but not upset. FM played well and they lost to a very good team on a great goal. Nothing to be ashamed about. I'm glad I refrained from yelling and screaming at the refs and I took the time to actually sit back and appreciate the quality match I was watching. I went home without feeling angry and I thought I really got my $5 worth.

Good luck Lex, I'm pulling for you guys to represent the upperstate well. (and if Dorman wins the upperstate....go Dorman!).

#52271 05/08/06 01:49 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: I thought FM06's comments were good -- it's not all of the FM fans just like it's not all the Lexington fans.

I think it's incredibly hard to write an unbiased game recap if you're a fan of one of the teams playing; it's why I don't do it. In fact, I don't write about teams much at all. Since the HS stuff is mostly about teams, that pretty severely limits me.

Thought your recap was good from an FM perspective (that's not a criticism -- in a game with 14-14 shots on goal and a lot of important plays you're going to remember those that meant the most for your team.) Only comment -- and this in defense of your first-half keeper -- on the first goal the ball was kicked around in the box until one player got it, drove it to the right drawing defenders and the keeper to her, and passed it for a very nice one touch shot by Lexington's Kelly Maupin. As I said, I think the first-half FM keeper played very, very well and I don't think that play detracts from her at all -- I heard it was only the second goal she's allowed all season.

#52272 05/08/06 01:56 PM
world cup
world cup
Chico, you had a better view than I did. I guess the actual finish was nice, but the ball was getting knocked around a bit. My down-playing of that goal was probably a bad effort on my part to over-emphasize how good the OT game winner was. Didn't mean to slight the goalscorer of the first one....just didn't think it was near the quality of the second.

FM keepers did a fine job all season. Couldn't fault either one of them for either goal on Friday night.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard