Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#52691 05/13/06 02:59 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Congratulations to the Warriors of Riverside on winning the ship, and congrats to the bearcats as well on a great game. It was certainly a game between two classy and well coached (as well as talented) teams.

Riverside up by 2 at halftime, but BC was not without their chances (from what i hear, i was a little late). The second half was extremely exciting, BC scored on a free kick with 25ish minutes left played across the face of the goal and headed back to the middle where it was finished. Riverside was able to hold off all other attacks, and BC's defense kept Riverside out in the time I was there as well.

I left the Irmo Dorman game at halftime, where it was 1-1, because of my duties with the Ben Lippen team. But I heard Irmo scored in the final seconds of overtime, but apparently time ran out just before the ball went in the goal. Congrats to the champion Cavaliers of Dorman, and to the runner's up at Irmo.

#52692 05/13/06 03:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yea the final of SCS-BE was 2-1, the first goal BE got should have never happened, the ref was at midfield and made a call from there, giving them a PK, that was not a foul!!! the second goal was just bouncing around the box and some girl ran through it and scored, the goal by SCS was the most legit goal of them all, it was a freekick from about 27 yards out on the left side, she drilled it in the upper corner, over the keeper!!!

#52693 05/13/06 03:09 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Ok was it just my imagination or did Irmo not score at the buzzer to tie the game.
Can an irmo parent or player shed some light on how that one was explained to them.
If I'm not mistaken to end the half the horn sounded and the ref blew his wistle three times. Would you not end the game the same way? The horn was sounding when Irmo was scoreing but no wistle had been blown.

Oh and Whiskey, hopefully your gentleman Josef showed more class after this win then he did in Lexington.

#52694 05/13/06 03:34 AM
S
bench
bench
S
I must say that I have never seen a more indecisive refreeing job in the 11 years I've played and watched soccer than I have in the Irmo-Dorman game. For those of you who could not make it to the game here's what happened. When the score was 2-2 with 7 mins left in the 2nd OT Dorman and Irmo's sweeper got tangled up and at some point in the mix up between the two players you could see that one of them had a hand-ball, Dorman got past the defender and scored. At first it was called a goal. However, the center referee and the AR went back and forth between one another and then back and forth between the coaching staffs. The end result was that the ref. completely changed his call and Dorman was given a free kick at the edge of the 18; giving the impression that Irmo had a handball. On the freekick Dorman hit the underside of the crossbar, the ball bounced and was headed over the goal by a Dorman player. It was difficult to tell but the referee called it a goal. Finally, with less than 5 secs left Irmo's right defender banged a ball towards the goal, Dorman's keeper tipped it with her hand, but it went over her and Meg Korpita helped make sure it went in as the buzzer went off to tie the game 3-3. However, the ref. called it a no goal. With no offense to Dorman, who played very well, but there is no way between the time that was wasted and run off the clock that there was not an extra second to call it a goal, Especially in a game as important as a State Championship game. I was not on the field so you could not be sure of all the commentary that occured, but from watching the game, Irmo was truly ripped off and it's a shame.

#52695 05/13/06 03:44 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
PHEW! For a moment there I thought the fine folk at goirmo.com wouldn't have anything to do all summer..

#52696 05/13/06 03:49 AM
LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
I'm not sticking up for anyone here, but what I saw was that on the first play you are talking about here, first there was a handball by an Irmo player, then there was a handball by a Dorman player that resulted in a goal. The AR told the center ref, and he made the correct call by calling off the Dorman goal and giving Dorman a free kick due to the first handball by Irmo. On the free kick, the ball hit the top bar and bounced down and the spin on the ball brought it over the line for a goal. This is exactly what happened I think it was last year with the Irmo boys, but they didn't get the call for a goal like tonight.
Believe me, I'm no Dorman fan, but it did appear to me that the buzzer did sound before Irmo scored it's last goal to tie it up in overtime, but you are right, the offical never seemed to blow his whistle to indicate the match was over.
I thought the refs did a good job until the last 7 minutes of the 2nd overtime, and then at that point they completely lost control of the game and could not make a decision.

#52697 05/13/06 04:04 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Ouch. Painful to read.

#52698 05/13/06 04:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
irmo/dorman

I didn't hear the buzzer, but otherwise that's a pretty accurate account from where I sat too. the whistle ends the game and the whistle was never blown so I guess technically it ain't over yet. I wish they'd let the goal count. I believe dorman would have won it in the end anyway, given the way the game was going but that was a lousy way to end a championship game.

#52699 05/13/06 04:55 AM
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Thats the perfect way to end a state championship (sarcasm), now we will all have something to debate over the summer.

#52700 05/13/06 05:00 AM
Brace
Brace
As a coach working with the association, we were stationed with a line-of-sight at the goal line and the Dorman goal was without question 'in'. At the end when the official horn rang (and it having been announced prior that the scoreboard clock was official -- ie: horn), the ball had not crossed the plane of the goal and therefore the goal was not counted. It was an outstanding effort between two fine programs, and both should be proud of excellent seasons.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard