corner kick
corner kick
C
Striker, you are a moron.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Regionals are a costly good experience. Best that CESA U18 declined to go instead of try to go with 11 players and no goalie. Then it would be a waste of $$$.

Brace
Brace
Regionals are awesome for those in contention U14-U17, after that they're not real important.

World Cup
World Cup
Can someone supply me with a list of boys names that have participated in Regionals the past 4-5 years and where those players have/are played/playing college soccer?

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
i have read enough today from some people on this board who are out to promote their own selfish interests. Club is better than high school. period. better player development, better exposure, etc

Brace
Brace
quote:
Club is better than high school. period. better player development, better exposure, etc
I don't think that anyone has challenged this premise. However, club is certainly not addressing all the needs of ALL players. Or is it? If so, please explain.

Do you also feel ODP is the end-all and be-all of player talent evaluation?

I definitely know that high school soccer is not going to have the resources of the big power clubs, but there are decent (could be much better) players at Burke, Stall, North Charleston, Hanahan, Academic Magnet, Lincoln, Fort Dorchester, Goose Creek, and Stratford that are not involved actively in club/ODP soccer, but have ability. Do they get to play too at MPSC or Bridge or SSC? I think the majority do not. Why? Cost is probably the reason in 90% of the cases.

Do the best coaches want the 'stain' on their record for coaching a team comprised of players not from Wando, Pinewood, BE, PG or JI? It seems there may be more of a player pool for U15-U18 players at the aforementioned schools than at the soccer-rich schools.

All I'm trying to point out is that we have our own talent ID problems in SC (Lowcountry example right here), much less across the country. I simply don't think we're getting the best 23 guys on our MNT and I think illustrations such as this help argue that point.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
But there are people who are questioning club on here. As far as ODP, it is definitely flawed.

The only players that club is not addressing the needs for is the part time player. The player who wants to play more than soccer, ie football, baseball, etc. I have coached in 4 different clubs, 2 small and 2 fairly large that have recently merged. In every instance, I have had full and partial scholarshiped players because they could not afford to play. Last year alone, one of my older boys teams had 4 kids with some sort of scholarships on a team of 15. At least the places that I have been, players have had the opportunity to play if they wanted to. However, alot of players that are decent high school players have other interests, as i discussed earlier.

The measuring stick of how many players are playing in college is not appropriate in discussion of player development. Maybe it should be how many players have been recruited should be the measuring stick. Many players choose not to play in college because they decide to go to one of the big schools, ie USC, Clemson. I know plenty of people who had offers from some of the D2 schools in the state, but for whatever reasons decided to not play college soccer. Most of the time, it is because they feel that the schools they could play at are not up to par with their academic needs. other times, its because they want to go to football games and party.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard