Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#70000 07/03/06 02:12 PM
coach
OP Offline
coach
OK, lets pick the Semis. Must give detailed reason why, or pick will not be accepted -

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=373152&root=worldcup&cc=5901&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

#70001 07/03/06 03:07 PM
O
kick off
kick off
O
Germany will beat beat Italy for two reasons:
1. Klose (so so dangerous in the air)
2. the home crowd (seemed to tip the momentum in the PKs against argentina)
Germany has looked much stronger to me throughout the tournament, they have so many weapons in ballack, klose, Lahm, and schweinsteiger that they will not lose. all they have to do is shut down Luca Toni.
GERMANY 2-0 ITALY

France may have momentum from there win over brazil but it will not be enough to take down portugal, they are just too good. France plays very inconsistantly and play very weak during some points in every game throughout the tournament. Portugals pace overall as a team and individual skill seem to be higher than France and that is why i am going to pick portugal.
PORTUGAL 3-1 FRANCE

#70002 07/03/06 08:46 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Germany and France advance.

I like Germany for all the reasons mentioned above. Italy has done well only allowing one goal(own goal) this WC..but Germany has many more quality weapons than any other team Italy has faced. With the homefield advantage.. I think Germany wins a close one.

If Zidane plays anywhere close to the way he did against Brazil.. Portugal doesn't stand a chance. I haven't been impressed at all by Portugal.. for a team with a lot of individual talent and finesse..their play has been pretty ugly. This is France's game to lose.

#70003 07/03/06 10:52 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
france and italy period

#70004 07/04/06 03:33 PM
C
Goal
Goal
C
Germany beats Italy 2-1
1.Best opponent Italy has faced, too many offensive weapons.
2.Very confident after the win vs. Argentina.

France beats Portugal 1-0
1.Defence will shut down individual ability of Ronaldo and Deco, just like the Brazil match.
2.Also very confident after Brazil game.

#70005 07/04/06 09:33 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Italy 2-0 (OT) Germany

Unbelievable last 15 minutes (2nd OT period) -- end-to-end soccer! Great result for the Italians although I had been pulling for Germany.

What a scene at the Circus Maximus in Rome after the first goal! I'd love to be there tonight!!! [Big Grin]

Allez France!!! [Smile]

#70006 07/04/06 09:36 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
I'm just absolutely sick for the Germans right now.. just..wow.

If the Final is Italy/Portugal ..they might as well install spring boards infront of each goal..and declare an automatic 30min of stoppage time.

What a game..

#70007 07/05/06 01:10 PM
coach
OP Offline
coach
Ya gotta love soccer to appreciate this kinda game. Wonderful, intense game! Great defenses by both teams throughout the contest. Each team would attack and penetrate, yet fabulous defensive challenges would shut down scoring chances. But, even with the spectacular defenses by both teams, there were some exciting near misses on goal, until the 2 skillful finishes at the end by Italy.

Would like to see a Portugal/Italy final because I can foresee France playing a boring kick-it-around game v. the quicker Italians. But if France plays like they did against Brazil, that could be a good final as well.
Portugal will probably take this one, because France cannot afford to be as aggressive as they were with Brazil. As many as 6 players will miss the final if booked v. Portugal.

Good article among many on the intensity of the game-

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152049812380&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

#70008 07/05/06 01:40 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
L-E Dude: I'm just absolutely sick for the Germans right now.. just..wow.If the Final is Italy/Portugal ..they might as well install spring boards infront of each goal..and declare an automatic 30min of stoppage time.What a game..

Response: Quit listening to the American "experts" on ESPN and or reading English-led propaganda websites and form your own, real opinion on a Italy v Portugal final.

These two teams have played some of the best stretches of soccer, technical and tactical, in the tournament. It was Lippi who had four strikers on in OT to win and opt out of PKs, NOT Klinsmann.

Read the FIFA technical match reports instead of listening to Alexi Lalas and Julie Foudy or reading www.englishsocceropinions.com!

Of course, Portugal beat England so Americans are upset because of the who-knows-why love affair with crap English soccer. Of course, the Italy v U.S. match angered Americans
so that explains that.

The diving has been so much less in this tournament, however, sometimes a little time killing will always occur when you're trying to get a result in a WORLD CUP. Yes, the results England and Germany DID NOT get.

#70009 07/05/06 03:43 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Beezer: I feel sorry for you.

1) The fact that you assume because I don't have any tolerance for diving/cheating.. that I'm some brainwashed fan of boring crappy soccer..that's sad.

2) I am NOT an England fan. I really don't even follow them at all..but any fool could see that when Lennon was on the pitch..they played better football. (Must I explain the difference between Beckham and Lennon?)

3) Was Australia not an exciting team to watch? Was Holland not an exciting team to watch? Was Ivory Coast not an exciting team to watch? Was France not MAGICAL to watch against Brazil? Was Germany not exciting to watch? Etc etc..

There is exciting, tactical, CLEAN football out there. I don't have to admire C. Ronaldo or Figo or Sorin or Grosso or any of those other hacks because there are plenty of guys out there..that stay on their feet and put the ball in the back of the net.

4) Now..let's have a little analysis of Italy vs Germany.. without any mention of Totti's acrobatics or any of the other phantom broken ankles that they faked to move their team out of their defensive third.

I would be a fool if I tried to pretend Italy doesn't have the best defense in the world..and that Buffon is not an astonishing keeper.. or that Portugal has some of the best individual skill there is.. or that Argentina and Spain can orchestrate combos that make your brain stop.

HOWEVER.. what I saw of Italy yesterday.. was a squad that consitantly got back on defense (which is good..and I would have my players watch that 100x over) ..but instead of hustling or moving as a team into the attack. They opted to either let 1-3 men move the ball up..maybe get the midfield into the attack if they hold it long enough.. or find a freekick somewhere..so everyone could get up into the attack.

Basically.. I didn't see a complete team. Toni minus his 2 goals against Ukraine (which weren't that great) has been a phantom the whole tourney. With some ridiculous saves from Buffon and a clear off the line here and there.. they've made it to the Final. They'll probably win it too.. if France makes it there.. I doubt they have enough left in the tank to slug it out with Italy.

I'm curious to know just what exactly YOU'RE a fan of.. that allows you to disregard all these flopping card sharks??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard