Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
It's difficult to say a whole lot about the tournament last weekend. Certainly the 1-0 loss to #13 Illinois on a late goal is understandable for a young team and I thought it was great that the defense played so well. The 1-0 loss to Iowa when South Carolina dominated play with an over 4:1 shot ratio but couldn't finish was incredibly disappointing. Clearly South Carolina has to learn to convert.

However, I thought that the play of some South Carolina players deserved to be called out. Specifically, here's what Shelley Smith said about one player who hasn't gotten as much press as others: "Shannon Bigbie has been a great surprise for us already. We have played her in several positions and she adds to our depth in the back and midfield." I heard she had a great tournament.

Of course, more heralded players from South Carolina really stepped up as well with Kimmy Gillespie and Blakely Mattern being named to the all-tournament team.

There's been a lot said on this message board about the level of recruiting from South Carolina's major colleges. Last weekend, there were outstanding performances by South Carolina players at both USC and Clemson. I'm not talking about "recruiting for team chemistry" or whatever -- I'm talking about players who stepped up and made a big difference to their teams. Women's soccer in South Carolina is producing better players -- and that's translating into more results for South Carolina colleges recruiting in-state. Great stuff!

world cup
world cup
West Florence's Brooke Tumblin (2 goals, one assist), Summerville's Alie Brady (2 assists) and Wando's Greta Hewett (1st team All-SAC defender) have all been tremendous in helping the Newberry women's team get out to a 2-0 start this season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
USC beat Francis Marion 2-1 last night. Freshman and Lexington native Shannon Bigbie got her first start! That makes USC's starting defenders 4 out of 5 South Carolina women [Laura Armstrong, Shannon Bigbie, Kimmy Gillespie, Blakely Mattern]. Courtney Cobb was the only starting defender not from SC -- of course, she's forgiven since she's such an excellent player.

USC still seems to be having major trouble converting offense to goals -- but a win is a win. Great job, USC!

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
It was a fun game last night. Shannon Bigbie didn't have as good a night as reported from last weekend but stepped up in the second half. Blakely Mattern cleared the ball right at the goal line to save a goal. Courtney Cobbs did a great job in defense even attacking on several occasions. Mary Worthen was great up front the first half but didn't have as good a second half when she was moved back to mid. Missing the introductions, it took a while before I realized Darcel Mollon wasn't there.???? The freshman from Georgia, Samantha Diaz-Matasos had a strong game but looked a little tired by the end of the game. Ashley had a great game as usual, always fighting hard. Kimmy Gillespie appears to be a great replacement for Jackie Welch in the back. But player of the game had to be Felicia Schroeder. Came in as a sub first half, started the second and made things happen, scoring the two goals both on headers I think. Coaches are getting a lot of players on the field and getting the freshmen experience.

It was impressive to me that FMU only had two subs for the field and still played them really close. Their goal in the last two seconds was pretty.

world cup
world cup
Darcel Mollon is lightning! I saw her in a USC spring game and again this summer in a Charlotte Lady Eagles match.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[dhunter] Shannon Bigbie didn't have as good a night as reported from last weekend but stepped up in the second half.<<

I know our expectations of South Carolina players at our largest universities are increasing [a good thing!] when a relatively unheralded freshman earns her way into the starting lineup in the third game of the season, plays well enough to keep that starting position in the fourth game of the season, and this elicits comments about not having "as good a night as reported from last weekend". Great stuff!!!

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Chico, it absolutely is "great stuff." I hope my comment didn't sound critical about Shannon, it was really about the coaches comments about her play in the tournament and how I didn't recognize that effort at the first home game. Of course, I'm just a fan and don't see the everyday efforts of the players.

Sunday against JMU, Blakely Mattern had her first goal, a beautiful header off a corner kick from Ashley Kirk. If Blakely keeps playing at this level she gets my vote as SEC Fresh(wo)man of the Year. And Kimmy Gillespie is setting the bar for the backs. But someone answer a question. I have heard the keeper, Lauren Armstrong (SC), yelling 'Blake, right shoulder.' What does that mean?

bench
bench
Basically, it means that there is a player to her right that she needs to be marking/watching. Rather than yelling, "Blake, mark the person to your right", "Right shoulder" is much faster and still gets the point across to the defender that they have an opponent on their right that is their responsbility.

Formerly ManUFan
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Sigh... I had hoped that it meant "Blakely, take your right shoulder and crash it with extreme and excessive force into the celiac plexus of that forward showing the temerity to run into the defensive half of our field such that she would rather have a root canal performed by an angry beaver than to ever dare contemplate again running into our side of the field."

Link Copied to Clipboard