Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Second......attacker, defender and ball form a triangle. Attacker is at 6 o'clock and in possession of the ball. He takes a big touch......ball goes to 12 o clock, perhaps 5-6 yards in front of him. Defender is at 9 o clock. Instead of going to the ball at an angle, defender continues a straight run midway between the attacker and the ball. With momentum, effect is to shoulder the attacker off the ball, except that the defender has prevented the attacker from getting to the ball. I see it as obstruction, as opposed to shielding. Is this legal?

It depends. The rule of thumb is that as long as the ball is within playing distance, there is no obstruction. Playing distance is relative and depends on the capabilties of the age group, gender, etc. Larger, stronger U18 boys are capable of a longer playing distance than, say, U14 girls.

A properly executed shoulder charge to move the opponent off of the ball is perfectly legal as long as it is not excessive. Of course, if the shoulder is lowered or the elbows or arms are used, it is not legal.

Of course, as always, things like playing distance and excessive play depend on the "judgement of the referee."

Last edited by Coach P; 09/29/06 02:02 AM.
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Agreed Coach. I love physical play and shouldering opponents off the ball is a part of the game for sure. But, defenders who target attackers without the ball to me isn't right. A defender who steps between the attacker and the ball and shields.....is fine. A defender who puts a shoulder into as attacker when they don't have the ball.....to me is a foul.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Yes it is a foul if he does not have the ball, however it takes a very good ref or linesman to see this type of play away from the ball and call it. Most people are watching the ball and things that happen away from the ball are going to be missed alot.

S
bench
bench
S
The older the player - the more contact allowed. Coach Ralph Lundy is a big proponet of a physical game. He teaches it and shares with the parents - "if your son/daughter is going to compete on the higher level - they must learn to play physical."

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
there is a big difference between playing physical and flat out cheating. Is shirt pulling part of the game? Maybe. But it can also get you tossed, which is not happening in the younger age groups. So the question is still why? I say because who wants to be the ref to red card a u11 player even though that player has grapped a jersey to prevent a breakaway.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Scout22,

Again, nothing wrong with playing physically, but play the ball. The hits I've seen had more to do with a wide receiver taking a lick from a safety in cover 2 on an overthrown pass......then they did a legit shoulder tackle in soccer.

And when you see numerous kids grabbing shirts and not playing the ball.....thats a coached technique. And one that referees clearly are allowing in SC that they aren't in NC....at least at a U12-13 level.

There are differences....my daughters team (and Hursts) has played USA Cup in MN the last 2 years and the teams from the midwest play far more physically than the teams we see in the Carolinas. They aren't intentionally dirty.....there's just a lot of junk that goes on. Its not team specific....its a regional thing.

And my original point was.......that after a couple of games in SC i see a clear difference from what we're used to in NC, where games at the younger age groups are very tightly reffed.

Ah well. As my rednecked french buddies would say...Selah vee.

A
throw in
throw in
A
I was at a match last weekend and saw a forward on a break away, the defender step right in front of them in the penalty area, not even playing the ball, and looked as though the forward was being boxed out. It looked like obstruction. Anyone care to shed a little light?

N
kick off
kick off
N
Agree with Scout the older they get the more it happens. Players learn to see what they can get away with from the referee. If they can be more physical they will push it to the limit. They are taught to see what they can get away with being physical, shoulder to shoulder contact, pushing, and yes grabbing jersey's. It is part of the game. Just like diving to draw a foul.

S
goal
goal
S
I am not a referee but I believe the rule is as long as the player is able to play the ball it is not consider obstruction. Thus, the defender is allowed to "box out" the offensive player as long as he is able to play the ball. It does not matter if he actually plays the ball or not.

N
kick off
kick off
N
AHSCoach - Are you referring to when the ball is played through into the box by the opposing team and a defender steps in front of the on coming opposing player(his back to the opposing player) and shields him from the ball but does not play/touch the ball letting it go so his goalie can get the ball. Not obstruction Smart play

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard