Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[Manchester] Congrats to Colubia United FC for engaging High School programs by sponsoring the "Clash of the Carolinas" All-Star Games.<<

Sounds great!!! I missed that announcement; could you provide a pointer to it?

>>That's a glaring example of a Club Earning Respect.<<

Well...for good and bad...I don't think that there's another club in the state any more tightly linked to high school soccer than CUFC. Another very different way of doing things than Bridge or CESA -- and different is good in that different competing approaches can yield different and better results.

N
bench
bench
N
Chico,
Thanks for your views and I am very pleased that this can be discussed calmly. The CAP program is an invaluable resource for those wanting to play college soccer and was utilized. However, there were several occasions where the players were put in a pickle b/c of hs coach saying they couldn't miss a weekend practice. The other HUGE issue is that ALL hs juniors interested in college soccer should be involved in the CAP program! And I am sorry to say but there are coaches that will not promote this program.

You made alot of very valid arguments and supported them well also. The issue at hand involving 1.talk coach into your way of thinking 2. doing what the coach says or 3. quit is very difficult when a child wants to play for his hs team. Are you suggesting that Club players NOT play HS soccer? Interesting thought.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

>>[Manchester] Congrats to Colubia United FC for engaging High School programs by sponsoring the "Clash of the Carolinas" All-Star Games.<<

Sounds great!!! I missed that announcement; could you provide a pointer to it?

There is an announcement at http://www.scsoccer.com/

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Ahhhh...and I stupidly have my browser set up to go directly to the message board! Thanks! And congratulations to CUFC and to the high school league.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[ntheno] [...] The CAP program is an invaluable resource for those wanting to play college soccer and was utilized. However, there were several occasions where the players were put in a pickle b/c of hs coach saying they couldn't miss a weekend practice.<<

Understood. Absolutely don't know what to do about that one other than the player has to choose what she/he likes more -- playing high school or going to that CAP event.

I've heard of coaches threatening to get rid of players who miss a practice to do something else. I've also heard of coaches "fining" players (e.g., playing time) for missing practices. And I've heard of coaches who don't mind a couple of missed practices.

>>The other HUGE issue is that ALL hs juniors interested in college soccer should be involved in the CAP program! And I am sorry to say but there are coaches that will not promote this program.<<

It would be great if all high school soccer coaches promoted CAP, ODP, and any other program to highly ambitious players. However, it's not the job of the high school coach to promote the program; it's the job of kids interested in playing college to understand it.

If you don't feel the folks at CESA are doing a good job of getting the word out about CAP, you should tell them and let them know any thoughts you have regarding marketing and promoting it better.

>>You made alot of very valid arguments and supported them well also. The issue at hand involving 1.talk coach into your way of thinking 2. doing what the coach says or 3. quit is very difficult when a child wants to play for his hs team. Are you suggesting that Club players NOT play HS soccer? Interesting thought.<<

Yes...it's always difficult to want two conflicting things. It isn't uncommon, either for kids or for adults.

I am stating that there are only three options open, and one of those options is not playing high school. Before I went to that step, I'd try discussing it in detail with the high school coach. But at some point the discussion ends and there are two options: do what the coach says or stop playing for the coach.

N
bench
bench
N
Again thanks Chico. I do understand what you are saying about it not being the coach's reponsible to promote a program like CAP or ODP, my point was that they should support and endorse fully a child's desire to participate.

And as for: "But at some point the discussion ends and there are two options: do what the coach says or stop playing for the coach", the parent in me comes out in full candor and wants to ask "who is ultimately responsible for this child and thus entitled to make the decisions that are best for the child?" This mostly likely makes no sense in the mind of a coach but it is assuredly asked silently by parents of any child playing a HS sport when an opportunity presents itself for the betterment of the child and a HS coach says no. Just food for thought! Thanks!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It's a small move but I like it and respect it..
SSC classic tryouts will be free!! That's right no charge..
Good job!! Summerville

S
bench
bench
S
I believe CUSC also has no charge for tryouts.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Swansea has a club-Lower Lexington-and they are competitive. They have u-11, u-15, u-16, and u-18. In fact, the Girl's high school coach and assistant coach run the U-15 team (not on their high horse) comprised of girls from gilbert, pelion, and swansea.

corner kick
corner kick
I don't remember Coach Gerth being a coach for that club. I'm not aware of her being a coach for any club.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard