Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
The SCHSL realigns every two years. Dreher, like many schools in the Midlands, swing from Upper State to Lower State quite frequently, though this was the Blue Devils first move from the Lower State since the late 1990s.

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
itsme,

Danny sat the last 13 minutes of the game because he used profanity and got a yellow card. Coach Quinlan refused to put him back in the game even though he apologized for the slip in the heat of battle. He even told the team he couldn't put him back in the game because he lacked ethics. He also sat Robbie Birnie during the year for the rest of the game and for an additional game for the same infraction. I guess when the coach cusses at the same player in the heat of battle at the Chapin game, it is ok.

L
throw in
throw in
L
That is probably one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. In the most important game of the season, Coach Quinlan sat one of his best players? What kind of ethics did he lack if he told the truth and apologized. I mean those kinds of words are going to slip and i guess he said that to a player in the Chapin game if i am reading correctly so how can he punish his players for that?

B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
The Dreher-Riverside game Saturday was a great one for the fans. Both teams played their hearts out. Riverside's winning goal came with only 10 seconds left in overtime. As GVLsoccerdad pointed out, Dreher's goalie had a fabulous game. I also think that Byron Quinatoa showed that he is one of the best players in the state. Riverside is strong from top to bottom. I was particularly impressed with their forward #16 and one of the defenders (#10). Good luck to Riverside in their game against Greenville.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
If he swore, Cates was lucky to stay in the game. There is supposed to be "zero-tolerance" for that. We had a player shown a straight red for telling a team-mate to not "f-in lay down" to our opponents. He didn't yell it, he said it. Even the AR didn't hear it. But...rules are rules.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
I agree Coach Robinson! We had a player shown a straight Red and given two extra games because he told one of his own team mates to pass the F-in ball.

J
Brace
Brace
J
links5,
you may think it was stupid to bench Cates for such an infraction, but I think it shows an incredible amount of ethics for Quinlan to sit him. If there was a zero tolerance policy for this type of behavior, then the coach did the right thing. Sometimes it is better to teach a lesson than win a game based on faulty ethics. More high schoolers and other kids need to learn that they can't say anything they want, whenever they want to. Too many kids today just spout off without any thought of what could/may happen. I gave a card for dissent for an 18 year old spouting off to my AR in a Midwest Regional League game. For those that don't know, that would be state cup winners playing each other in the midwest. He continued to run his mouth until I threatened to toss him. It was only then that he decided that I was serious, and would not tolerate that type of behavior. More people need to lay down the law, and do the right thing. Good job coach Quinlin!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
C
Brace
Brace
C
If any of you know the coach at DF you know this is not something he puts up with. It is good to see that he stood by his rules even in a play-off game. By some of your responces you want to bend the rules because it is a play-off game. It shows the kind of program he has. Rules are rules and I sure that all the players on that team know what happens if you behave this way. High School sports involve more that just winning, it is also about teaching children life skills and what is important in life.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
More coaches should act like this in the heat of battle. Too many coaches would rather win the game then teach a star player a lesson. I applaud Coach Quinlan on this action...too many coaches let their players run all over them or their assistant coaches. This does nothing but undermine the coaching staff's authority. Any coach that lets a player cuss at him or anyone else and does not teach them some sort of lesson is not a very good coach in my opinion. As coaches, we should be building young men with great character instead of building great soccer players that lack character.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Well if RCates tells the story like it is, then I think Quinlan is a moron/jerk for not putting him back in. Sometimes words slip in the heat of battle. What if he got cleated in the shin and cursed out of pain. Should he still be sat for an 'involuntary' response. The fact that he apologized and still had to sit the bench is not fair. The zero tolerance policy is retarded. Soccerboy, you would say something like that because you are a ref. There is a difference between cursing accidentally and getting dissent TOWARDS a referee. And it shouldn't be highschool sport's job to teach kids what they can and can't say. I think that violates the free speech clause in the constitution. Even worse, this coach would be hypocritical enough to punish someone when they cuss but forget about when he cussed. I just think other forms of punishment would have been better in this case.

"Quit ball watchin' son!"
Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard