Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
goal
goal
B
welsh,

Can you explain how Pinewood got "abused" in the Palmetto Cup? Yes, Northwestern handled them, but it was a good match and very close for 60 minutes. A 1 goal loss to Lexington, who is one of the top 4, 4A teams. A 1 goal loss to Christian Brothers, who was the tournament finalist. How does that justify being abused?

Look at who's playing in Columbia today. Lincoln plays for the 1A, and PP defeated them twice. BE plays for the 2A, and PP split with them. Northwestern and SV play for 4A and PP had a one goal loss to SV.

Get over it, PP is a good team and should be considered one of the better teams in the state this year. I don't know what your definition of an "elite" team is, but clearly PP rightfully deserves recognition as one of the top teams in the state.

As for the game today, who knows what the outcome will be, but it should be an entertaining game. PP has given up 1 goal to SCISA teams this season, (PK against PG). I'm pretty sure PP hasn't given up a goal to an upstate SCISA team since The BL Championship game 3 years ago.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Pinewood by at least three goals.

U
bench
bench
U
PP 3
CN 1

Ol' Uncle Dain was there today kiddies, and I gots to say that was one of the weirdest officiated matches I have seen. Very inconsistent from a center that usually gets 'em right.

Two PK's awarded PP, one to CN (they missed). The first to PW was at best obstruction. CN goal called back on a restart after what was clearly an indirect kick. Referee stood over the ball with his right arm pointing skyward while pointing at it with his left. No one for CN, coaches included, noticed that.

Referee spent most the match telling his linesman to put down their flags. At least five yellows shown to PW. Tried to give a second yellow to one PW player but quick thinking by another PW player fooled the ref that he was the guilty party.

After the officiating, the wind was the big story. PW with the wind dominated the first 40, CN the second.

CN's #7 with some sweet direct kicks, scoring on one. JD Spearman with some great saves on the rest to preserve the PW lead.

Congrats to both sides. Some pretty good soccer from the blue and the white. Gettin' close Uncle Dain's bedtime. See all you soccer fans next season.

Last edited by uncledain; 05/13/07 01:26 AM.
B
bench
bench
B
PP showed its domination of SCISA once again by completing its four-peat of state championships. uncledain is off in his analysis, as the indirect free kick was noticed by CN's coach, as he told #7 to make the cross "count." 7 ignored his coach and hit a bautiful upper-90 shot, but it of course didn't count. The yellow card for time wasting was also given to the correct player, as Joe Sweet actually did kick the ball away. All details aside, PP finished the season strong, and looks forward to a likely five-peat for next year.

S
throw in
throw in
S
How many starters are returning next year for PP?

throw in
throw in
Congrats to Pinewood on their state championship. Congrats to Cardinal Newman on an excellent season.

C
kick off
kick off
C
In no way, shape, or form did Pinewwod dominate anything in this game except for fouls. Pinewood got lucky to walk away with this one. Cardinal Newman outworked them, outshot them, and flat out outplayed them. Granted, PP had the better chances in the first half, it was pretty even play. But the second, PP never even threatened. They had two shots in the second half, and those didnt come until the last 10 min when CN was pushing to score. CN just couldnt get anything to fall.

The first pk for PP was clearly a dive. The first goal for CN was called back for offsides; I guess the PP player on the post doesnt count. CN clearly made a mistake on the second one that was indirect. But what a freakin hit. PP keeper had no chance on that rip. The last pk was just frustration on CNs part.

Fact is, PP had one true goal and two pks(one questionable). CN had one true goal and a questionable offsides call. I wouldnt exactly call that domination by PP. Especially when CN controlled the second half.

I give CN some credit here. They couldve/shouldve won this game.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
bear I just cannot agree with your assesment of PP as one of the best teams this year. Yay they won another SCISA title. Honestly though, if you cannot win against the big 4A schools, then don't consider yourself one of the best. Call yourselves... good but not great.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Welshwizard,

Have you seen any of these two teams play? How many of the great 4A teams have you seen play all year. Were you at the Palmetto cup? You like many others try to make statements to discredit the accomplishments of the boys from Pinewood, and you have not watched a single game all year.
To win four straight championships is no easy thing to do in any circle, so if you have nothing go to say please don’t post anything.

Congrats to all the teams that participated in this years high school soccer leagues.

B
goal
goal
B
Welsh, difference of opinion, and no need to belabor to the point. Whether PP is one of the "best" depends on how big the group of the best is.

Sidenet,
Does it really matter? Pinewood went through this very same thing, and won their second title. Honestly, I think the group of players that are returning for Pinewood next year, collectively are stronger than the group of players that began the season for Pinewood that season.

Cayman, your point is this match, Biz's point is 4 state championships in a row, does pretty much demonstrate domination of the division. However, I agree the match yesterday was not dominated by Pinewood. As for the dive, opinion. As for the offside, there was a series of shots at the goal during that play. The offside happened with the first play in, not the 2nd or 3rd or even 4th attempt. AR had the flag up right away, and it took some time for the center, because of the action, to get the whistle. I agree on that there were two very good free kicks taken by CN, one scored and one was the indirect.

Here is my assessment of the game, and I'm pretty sure I'm not necessarily going to please everyone, because it's simply my opinion.

CN came out strong and Pinewood was on their heels for the first 5 or 10 min. Went through some back and forth and Pinewood kind of settled in and took some measure of control late in the first half, which is when the two goals were scored. Pinewood got somewhat comfortable, Coach Eudy made some adjustments, Pinewood didn't react, and CN pretty much was at the Pinewood defense for much of the sencond half.

The Pinewood midfield lacked transition play, which is something that has been a struggle for them pretty much this entire season. The midfield either moves with the attack, or settles to defend, but they don't transition well at all between the two. When Coach Eudy put 3 running up top to pressure, and with a mid field that doesn't transition, the defense was constantly under attack and did well to limit the game to 1 goal.

As for the fouls, Pinewood had far too many unnecessary fouls in dangerous places at bad times. I don't know the count, but Pinewood had a bunch. CNs primary threat was on the set pieces, and Pinewood gave them many of those without reason.

The Pinewood defense pretty much handled the young attacking front runners for CN, and with the exception of a couple of great individual efforts by Winstead, they were not a factor in this match, during the run of play.

As for the referee, perhaps a little inconsistent near the touch lines, but, Pinewood deserved every card they got. The CN player that was carded in the 2nd got away with a little before receiving his, but, finally got it. On the delayed restart, it appeared that the referee was attempting to card a different player, but he was really trying to determine the correct player. The far side AR, (where I was in the 2nd), was telling him right away the correct number.

I give credit to CN here also. They played with a lot of intensity, Coach Eudy and his staff had them ready to play and they executed the plan well. They just couldn't crack the Pinewood defense during the run of play. They were in the match up to the end, and it was an entertaining match. I look forward to seeing them again next year.

It sounds like a cliche, but, defense wins championships, at least this particular championship game anyway.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard