Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
goal kick
goal kick
Passion is good, reason is better. Thank you coach, we will be there cheering next year too!

I didn't do it, but if I had you never would have known.
kick off
kick off
Thank you Coach Fryland that should end the useless drivel.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE:

Congratulations to Lexingtons Kira Campbeell for being named Gatorade Player of the Year.

ROSS!!! For no reason!
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
5/20/07

Lexington reaction was as ugly as it was inappropriate
http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/may/20/lexington_reaction_was_as_ugly_as_was_inappropri/
Phillip M. Bowman, The Post and Courier

Quote:

This was the ugliest incident I've covered since I took over the high school beat at The Post and Courier in 1999. The High School League must examine its crowd-control procedures. Two bottles thrown from the stands is bad enough, and should equate into a strong police presence at next year's Weekend of Champions.

world cup
world cup
If this was the ugliest incident this reporter has ever seen since covering HS sports in the Charleston area then why did it take him eight days to write the column/article???

Seriously, if he was that passionate about it.....why did he wait? Is The Post and Courier a weekly or a daily?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: The State newspaper sees an opportunity to sell newspapers and publishes a muck-racking article about the "dirty dozen." In it they rush in and interview 1-2 crushed and crying girls and out of paragraphs and paragraphs of statements select those that heighten the controversy.

The Post and Courier waits eight days before they publish a muck-racking article about two high school boys throwing two 12 ounce water bottles on the sideline of the field and some boys in blue and yellow body paint yelling "cheaters" after a game in which for some amount of time 12 players accidentally played against 11 players. The newspaper calls for a police presence to stop such horrific crimes from being perpetrated in the future; the author of this hard-hitting piece of investigative journalism almost swoons at the sheer insanity of it all.

Of all of the people who made mistakes in all of this, it feels as if the newspapers are the most reprehensible.

S
coach
coach
S
deahler: I've not before today posted on this subject; I thought pretty much everything had been said -- however, your post was pretty good in terms of using analogy to explain why some folks felt the way that they did. What I've particularly liked is that every post of yours has congratulated Wando -- that's particularly appropriate because in the end, Wando won -- everything else is just discussion. I'd like to add my own personal congratulations to Wando for playing a very hard-nosed and tough game and bringing home yet another win for what has become a leading 4-A program in South Carolina.

It's funny how there's an attempt at a self-imposed censorship of a discussion of the game. I think I understand it; emotions run high and people tend to become very critical and accusatory very quickly. And yet there are some fairly interesting things that have come up that I find absolutely fascinating. Since I've never flinched from making folks angry at me on this message board, I thought I'd raise a few of them.

I believe that the role of the referees has been understated, not overstated. Wando scored off of a header from a free kick rising from an assessed penalty. It was a very, very nice play on Wando's part. However, I find it amusing that so many people in the endless debate of precisely how much time was played 12v11 (i.e., an attosecond, 1:11, 4:00, 40:00, the greater part of the season, a geological era, etc.) fail to account for the fact that in a single second a referee made a decision that a foul occurred and that in just a few seconds a score occurred from a free kick. Trying to assess a probability in what in essence is a "discontinuous function" seems at best an incredibly arduous task. (Note: I heard today that Drogba scored in stoppage to lead Chelsea to a 1-0 win over Manchester United -- it seems strange to me that this could happen when no one scored in the first 90 minutes. )

That brings me back to the role that the referees played in this match. The referees appeared to decide very early that they were going to "let them play" which resulted in a very physical match. Nothing wrong with that. However, the referees then appeared to make random calls, in a non-biased but deeply weird fashion, on some physical play not not on the majority of the physical play. This occurred against both Lexington and Wando. I've seen this again and again this season -- rare is the referee that allows a physical game and then doesn't succumb to the desire to assess random penalties that can't be explained in light of all of the previous non-calls made. I'm actually beginning to believe that particularly in high school the referees would be better off calling games a bit more tightly from the beginning and focusing on being consistent. The referees in this match weren't terrible -- they were just inconsistent -- and thus inserted themselves entirely too much into the match rather than helping the players understand what was being called and why it was being called by being repeatable in their decisions.

With this said, Wando defensively played a very, very smart game. Wando's coach was interviewed by the Lexington newspaper and she noted that a primary factor was that she made a decision before the game to always play at least 1-2 players on one of Lexington's players. It worked fabulously; while there were any number of attempted assists by that player Lexington could not capitalize. What I think was equally important was that Wando's players played a very smart game given the refereeing that they were seeing -- they played much more aggressively on defense in their midfield and less aggressively as the ball got closer to their goal. This resulted in Lexington having few dangerous set plays. On the set plays that Lexington did have, the team did not execute as well as they have been doing. While the headlines all scream about 12v11, the real story of this game wasn't that -- and it wasn't even Wando's very nice score on the free kick (a glancing header by Olivia Ureg) -- it was why Lexington couldn't score and what Wando did to prevent Lexington from scoring.

Finally, with respect to the criticism of various coaches and players, I think that too many folks are proving themselves incapable of empathy. Wando's coach did exactly what she should have done both in terms of strategy and in terms of coaching her team. Yes, some amount of time went by when there was a 12v11 situation. That was the fault of the referees, not Wando's coach. She coached a wonderful game. Lexington's coach did exactly what he should have done in response to what occurred -- if he hadn't have gotten a red card for strenuous argument in the situation his team was in it would have been a mistake -- it was his job to go up to the line, and beyond it, in passionate advocacy for his team and some sense of equitable fairness. The players from both teams shook hands after the match. Not sure how much more can be expected from the coaches and the players.

The blue and yellow painted high school boys should not have thrown the two half-empty 12-ounce water bottles onto the sideline. While I don't feel that their offense rises to the felonious heights that the Post and Courier reporter did, they still shouldn't have done it.

Congratulations to Lexington, who acquitted themselves rather well for their first 4-A final appearance. Unlike Wando, Lexington doesn't have a history of great women's soccer. It's going to be tougher, not easier, for them next year -- the many seniors that are graduating have played critical roles and will absolutely be missed.

Congratulations to Wando, the 4-A state champions.

world cup
world cup
Chico,

It's muckraking, not "muck-racking".

Believe me, I know my yellow journalism!

Last edited by Hurst66; 05/21/07 03:15 AM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I am also on record congratulating Wando on their sate cup win.

A point I intentionally did not bring up in the past discussion is alluded to by Chico.
-Drogba scores in added time and beats Man U.
-Man U scores 2 goals in 4 minutes of added time and beats Bayern who lead 1-0 most of the game a few years back.

Although I feel that had the game been 11v11 that Wando most likely would have won, I cannot help but to think that when Lexington was mounting pressure for the equalizer,the 10-15 minutes it took for the referee crew to sort out the issues took the "wind out of the sails". Most likely those 10 minutes did more hurt than the extra man.

Wando played a very good strategic game, and although I had not seen them play before they did exactly what they needed to do.

Time should have been added on...PERIOD....Thus my thread on the refs.

One other thing.... it is my understanding that none of the painted boys threw bottles.
I am sure it was a lex fan or two who were showing their displeasure, also from my vantage point if the intent was to hit someone then they are horrible athletes because it was not a great distance. It was certainly a lack of class and should not be accepted behavior. As far as the Charleston paper.... I do not recall this gentleman being present at the Carolina cup were the behavior of some of the Wando supporters was questioned (personally I see nothing wrong with drums and horns), specifically when it came to congratulating the opponent after a loss. Booing from the stands or refusing to shake hands while calling your opponent "white trash" could both be construed as sour grapes.

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 05/21/07 02:26 PM.
S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: I should have known better; I was a dip-head (mis-hyphenation intended!)

futbol(soccer): I made an assumption about the "painted boys"; I knew the bottles came from that general area and just assumed. I apologize. My parents came to their first soccer game to see their granddaughter and accidentally initially sat among the boys; I moved them "safely" away and thus could only observe from a distance.

My point was that I felt that the behavior doesn't quite rise to the level of the gang activity ascribed to some high school sporting events in our state -- and yet this guy is calling for a police presence to stop what I guess was the wanton emotional damage done by those two 12 ounce half-filled water bottles and the chants by the crowd. Again -- I don't condone what (apparently) the students did -- but it seemed rather tame to me even if I compare it to what went on 30 years ago when I was playing high school sports.

I found it interesting that I understood more about the game from reading "The Lexington Chronicle" (a weekly newspaper) than I did reading "The State" or "The Post and Courier."

As an FYI, the Lexington Chronicle said that four minutes were played 12v11. I have not a clue as to where they got that number. I honestly don't think it matters whether it was 1 minute, 4 minutes, or 40 minutes. However, I am confused as to the actual number -- here's my amazingly bad recollection.

With 12 minutes to go, Lexington moved a midfielder from midfield to forward. Wando had been marking that player with 1-2 players during the game. You could see a lot of initial confusion as Wando players adjusted. At the 10-11 minute mark, I turned to my spouse and told her to note that there were 6 players almost constantly on the back line defensively. At some point, and I honestly don't recollect when it was, Sam Decker (a former Lexington player) tapped my shoulder and told me I should count the number of players on the field. Stupidly, I counted 11 but didn't include the keeper in my count (note: I never said I was the deepest carrot in the patch.) At what seemed to be a more than a few minutes later (and I stress "seemed"), I saw both the Lexington coach and Wando coach trying to get the referee's attention. Then all heck broke loose.

Please note that I am not refuting anyone regarding how much time actually was spent playing 12v11; I honestly don't have a clue. My sense of time was distorted as I grew increasingly frustrated by Wando's excellent defensive strategy and their superb execution of that strategy (note: I mean this completely and utterly as a compliment.)

I would love to buy a video copy of the game; will anyone be selling them this year?

And again...while this is all an interesting discussion...none of it matters in terms of who won that game. Congratulations again to Wando...

goal kick
goal kick
being in the same section as the "painted boys" i am aware of who threw the bottles while i wont say who it was i will say the where quickly repremanded by the entire student section! then as good measure one of the LHS principle came down as did SCHSL officials. Both while telling the students to calm down also told the "painted boys" they knew it wasnt them.... while this is not deathly important information i thought i would let everyone know. also i believe if that writer thinks that lexingtons fans where inappropriate i suggest he make the trip up to Gaffney for a football or basketball game!!

To play the game is good, to win the game is great, to LOVE the game is the greatest!
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard