Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#87772 05/14/07 06:09 PM
N
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
N
The ASA X-treme won the 2007 U14 Girls Classic State Championship on Sunday, May 6th. The ladies dominated the State Cup Tournament, outscoring their opponents 12-2. This completed an 11-0-3 season in which they won the President's Medal Soccer League and the South Carolina State Championship.

ASA X-treme now advances to the Region III President's Cup in Tampa, FL. The ladies will play other state champions from the Southeast on June 8th, 9th and 10th.

This is the fourth consecutive year the Anderson club has fielded a state champion in girls soccer, quite an accomplishment for a small club. And congratulations to Summer and Morgan for being a part of all four championships! Good luck in Tampa.

ASA Bulldogs 2004, 2005, 2006
ASA X-treme 2007

NeverPlayed #87773 05/14/07 06:30 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
While I offer my sincere congratulations to this team, I do need to question why they did not move up from classic to challenge. During the fall season, ASA X-treme had a 5-1 record, scoring 34 goals and only allowing 6. Instead of dominating classic, should they have moved up to challenge? Will they play challenge U-15 in the fall?

lurker #87774 05/14/07 06:42 PM
N
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
N
Given the fact that many of the girls that participated in the fall elected not to play in the spring (play JV only) and given the coach's commitment to his HS team in the spring, I don't think moving up to challenge was an option. Rumor has it they may do so this fall as a U15 team.

EDIT: Ryan has a better perspective... see below.

Last edited by NeverPlayed; 05/14/07 06:55 PM.
lurker #87775 05/14/07 06:44 PM
C
throw in
throw in
C
Lurker,

ASA X-Treme actually had a 7-1 record, with 39 Goals and 6 allowed in the fall season, two of their wins over USA did not count toward the final standings.

As their coach and trainer in the fall, many of the girls had only played at the Rec. or Classic Level before that season, so there was no presumption that they would be as dominant as they were.

Since almost every girl on the spring team also played JV for either TL Hanna, Wren, or Westside, the decision was made to play another season at the classic level, giving them a chance to (hopefully) repeat as state champions and return to the Region Tournament.

If the nucleus of the team stays intact and moves to the U-15 age bracket in the Fall of '07, I imagine (not sure) there would be a strong desire from players and parents to compete in the challenge league.

Tryouts for the ASA/Clemson club are next week, so you should be able to check the club website afterwards to find out which level the team (or other teams) are competing at.

Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
ASA X-Treme U-14 Girls

lurker #87776 05/14/07 06:45 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think that they played challenge in the fall of 05..I remember my daughter's team playing against the ASA team..

N
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
N
That was a different team, the "Bulldogs", that broke up after the '05-'06 season due to mixed ages and defections to CESA for premier/challenge level play.

NeverPlayed #87778 05/14/07 07:12 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
While I also congratulate the X-treme for a strong season and great State Cup Championship, I'm not sure I would say that they dominated the entire league and state cup. In 3 games between ASA X-treme and Columbia United Challenge, only one goal was scored by either team. Xtreme won 1-0 on March 10, while the teams tied 0-0 in the other 2 matches including the State Cup. This was what I would call pretty even competition with ASA having the edge as a result of the 1-0 win on March 10.

Again, congratulations Xtreme! and good luck in Tampa!

Last edited by Coach P; 05/14/07 07:26 PM.
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Coach Roseberry,

Thanks for the response. I see that you made the right decision for the right reasons. This is why I'm against automatic promotion / relegation. I'd rather the team decide where to play, as long as they do it for the good of the players, and not the glory of the team, club or coach. I'll always question it if one team "dominates" in classic, but it sure sounds like you have a good handle on this.

I don't think I've ever seen the ASA X-treme play, but I have reffed other ASA teams. They always seemed like a classy organization. Well done to you and your ladies.

lurker #87780 05/15/07 01:07 PM
C
throw in
throw in
C
Coldhardtruth, ASA did field a team, the Bulldogs, that played at the Challenge level and were unsuccessful in terms of winning games, etc. I think 3 of the girls on the current X-Treme team were on that squad. Thus some parents had the recent sting of a "tough" season in the back of their minds and were hesitant to move up to Challenge League play again.

Coach P, though I was not able to attend either of the season matches and only a portion of the State Cup match between the X-Treme and your CUFC girls, the part that I did witness was evenly played. As a coach, I looked forward to facing your team, but the girls were led by Anderson University men's head coach, Rob Miller, parent of two of the players, in my absence in all three contests.

Lurker, thanks for complementing the girls. We have been fortunate to have some talented, and very respectful, girls come through the club in Anderson. That, along with supportive parents, makes training and coaching these girls a rewarding and enjoyable experience.

Last edited by Coach Roseberry; 05/15/07 01:09 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P, though I was not able to attend either of the season matches and only a portion of the State Cup match between the X-Treme and your CUFC girls, the part that I did witness was evenly played. As a coach, I looked forward to facing your team, but the girls were led by Anderson University men's head coach, Rob Miller, parent of two of the players, in my absence in all three contests.

Coach R:
Again, I want to commend you, Rob, and the players for the team's sporting conduct. Our players really enjoyed playing against your side. In fact, they said X-treme was one of only 2 teams we played all year that did not "trash talk".

Just goes to show that you can conduct yourselves in a good sporting manner and still win. Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard