OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
correct...girls final

C
bench
bench
C
I definately think there should be better restrictions and standards for referees. and as for fitness standards there nmight be some but they must be really easy to pass cause i have seen some very out of shape not to mention OLD referees alos like the idea of 3 for every game, it can get out of control with only two also alot harder to call offsides properly with only two officials. these seem like good suggestions its a shame they will probablly never change though

S
throw in
throw in
S
Futbol,

You are spot on. In several variations these same recommendations have been made over the last several years. Just last year there was an official SCHSSCA proposal to allow varsity matches to end in ties.

Regarding officials, they need to be paid better, period. I would add that favorable reports should be tied to merit bonuses. Center refs earn their stripes. The SCHSL referee certification program is a sham. The SCHSL should adopt AYSO or USSF certification procedures.

Unfortunately, I percieve that the SCHSL is nothing more than a "good ol' boy" association of American football current or former coaches tolerating other sports.

goal kick
goal kick
Coach’s report cards would be very telling. It's a given that assessors can't be at every game, but a series of low scores from numerous coaches for any ref would help them decide where to focus their efforts even allowing for bias fron the losing side. Maybe a bonus for total review points scored?

I didn't do it, but if I had you never would have known.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

I definately think there should be better restrictions and standards for referees. and as for fitness standards there nmight be some but they must be really easy to pass cause i have seen some very out of shape not to mention OLD referees alos like the idea of 3 for every game, it can get out of control with only two also alot harder to call offsides properly with only two officials. these seem like good suggestions its a shame they will probablly never change though

You must be talking about that particularly old fat guy(don't know his name offhand) that refs alot here in the Low Country. I wonder what his problem is anyway, he acts like he hates everyone. Better pay might help that though. There should definitely be some regulations for fitness also. If they can't keep up with the players, then they can't see the plays and should not be allowed on the field. Period!

World Cup
World Cup
Interesting! I was asked by a local sports radio show this week to provide some thoughts about officiating in prep soccer in comparison to other high school athletics. The station is AM-1400 "The Team" and the show is called "Talking Sports", which is hosted by Teddy Heffner. Each Thursday, Airport HS Athletics Director and Head Football Coach Kirk Burnett joins him from 8-9 a.m. Here they are:

Quote:

Are there problems with officiating in high school soccer?

The problem with high school soccer is that there are not enough officials assigned for each game. There is no way that in 2007 two men/women can keep pace with 22 players. Maybe in 1977 or 1987 that was the case, but not now. A minimum of three (Referee, two Linesmen) is needed. A good number of the collegiate referees in this state also officiate prep matches, but until the numbers increase it will be difficult for referee assignors to raise the number -- will also have to be budgeted into the financials for ADs and for them to be aware of this needed increase.

Another point that needs to be adopted is that officials should be graded by the coaches after each match. This would be more work for the SCHSL, so that's why it probably will never happen.

The officiating in the State Finals this past weekend at Stone Stadium was fine, except for the fiasco in the Wando/Lexington match, but again, there were five officials on hand -- Referee, two Asst. Referees (Linesmen), Substitution Referee, and a Clock Operator. The Boys 4A game (Northwestern/Spring Valley) was very well officiated -- the referee let the "boys play" and it was great to watch!

Quote:

How in the world did the S.C. High School League rescind the red card on Spring Valley's goalkeeper?

The SCHSL overrode the referee's decision of the red card, because on the play that occurred, the Wando player received a yellow card and Davis Jenkins of Spring Valley received a straight red card. In truth, it should have been a caution for each player. The official appeared to be little rash in his decision and quite honestly a little above his head for a game of that magnitude.

Quote:

Why are there so many ejections in high school soccer?

On the comment of ejections -- until football reports how many 15 yard penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct are called and basketball reports how many players fouled out of a game, then I take the red card ejections with a grain of salt. That's what should be measured.

P.S. -- If all red cards were appealed by the SCHSL after the fact, then I'm sure we would see more instances like Davis Jenkins incurred last week!

Quote:

What in the world went on at the Girls 4A match?

If anyone ever wants to see drama, just come out and watch the Class 4A Girls soccer championship -- it seems like every year there is something controversial!

Last year, Irmo scored immediately after the horn sounded and many in the stands did not hear it due to the "boisterous crowd noise". It was a heckuva finish, but the ball went in after the whistle/horn sounded.

A couple of years prior to that you'll remember the incident when West Ashley pulled up some JV players and dressed them in uniform on the sidelines, but they didn't play. The disputed title had to go to court and everything!

Regarding the incident the other night. I don't believe anything was done on purpose by Wando, but they did play with an advantage for what appears to be around 1 minute, 15 seconds. However, others would argue that the span lasted longer. The only person to blame in this situation is the fourth official (regular season matches only have two unless three are requested and can be provided). For the state title match, there are five -- three on the field, referee and two assistant referees (linesmen), along with the substitution official and the time keeper in the press box.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Kyle,

Great comments...what does it take to get the SCHSL to listen. The players in 2007 are more sophisticated, technically and tactically, and the speed of play is greater. Three officials are also essential to protect the players from injury as well.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
I probably should not prolong this discussion, but I would like to weigh in with one point concerning the proposed changes related to referees.

Before doing so, I would like to say that I completely agree with virtually all of the points made in this thread. There is a great need for more refs (the two-man system is very difficult, especially at the varsity level), better training for refs and more stringent qualification of refs.

That said, not all coaches are qualified to review or assess refs. I do not want to name coaches or schools, but I ref in a district that has a number of coaches that have no background in soccer. For the most part, they are dedicated and good individuals, but they have no grasp of the concept of "advantage" or "handball" (as it has become popularly refered to).

My contribution to this discussion would be to add that the review by coaches be limited to coaches that achieve a certain level of experience or expertise.

Last edited by lfc; 05/19/07 01:46 PM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
In order to make an evaluation system for officials work in you area would a "minimum qualification" for coaches satisfy your concerns? (I am not including the rules clinic held by the SCHSL for coaches.)

I think as a community the coaches, with the exception of a few, would accept this. The reality is that many coaches and officials are highly qualified.

Unfortunately, I believe that the SCHSL has created an adversarial relationship between coaches/players and officials. As Kyle stated earlier, " This would be more work for the SCHSL". Coaches and officials working together may have a greater chance of succuess in changing the attitudes and perceptions at the SCHSL.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I probably should not prolong this discussion, but I would like to weigh in with one point concerning the proposed changes related to referees.

Before doing so, I would like to say that I completely agree with virtually all of the points made in this thread. There is a great need for more refs (the two-man system is very difficult, especially at the varsity level), better training for refs and more stringent qualification of refs.

That said, not all coaches are qualified to review or assess refs. I do not want to name coaches or schools, but I ref in a district that has a number of coaches that have no background in soccer. For the most part, they are dedicated and good individuals, but they have no grasp of the concept of "advantage" or "handball" (as it has become popularly refered to).

My contribution to this discussion would be to add that the review by coaches be limited to coaches that achieve a certain level of experience or expertise.

Though I agree with your comments, I believe that in high school the "Head Coach" is the only title or "certification" that you need to judge the officiating crews. The same can be said for high school soccer officials. I know there are certain levels recognizing the achievements of referees in soccer, but to referee a prep soccer match you simply have to pass the SCHSL rules test -- thus waiving any "certification" or "license" to officiate high school soccer.

Football has a grading system and there isn't a football coach in the state that has a "license" or a level of "certification" indicating that he can coach high school. I encourage the process of licensing and certification, but let's face it -- they are in place not only to raise the awareness of the soccer coaching community, but also as an avenue of income or fees for certain persons and organizations.

My feelings on "coaching credentials" are similar to what Chico posted in another thread:

Quote:

Let's take an example from CUFC. I think Heather Frederick is a good coach. I don't know her license (I'm sure she has a very good one) -- however, I've spent the time to understand what she's done in the past and even had my kid train with her a few years ago. If she turned up tomorrow and had no license at all, it wouldn't change my opinion of her.

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 05/19/07 03:13 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard