Next Thread
Print Thread
#87893 05/15/07 09:02 PM
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
am looking to see if the majority would agree to have changes initiated in the HS game. (not that I can do anything about it)

My thoughts-
1- both genders should play 90 minutes
2- A tie is a tie during regular season
3- THE TIME SHOULD BE KEPT ON THE FIELD (I cannot make bigger letters than that)
4- 3 referees for all games
5- Accountability for referees...i.e report cards from the coaches. A means to have fedback from your customers (don't forget who is paying the bill). The report is then reviewed and the referees are assigned accordingly.
6- No conflict of interest (real or perceived) if you are a referee or associated with refereeing then you should not be on staff at any school.
7- fitness requirement (probably already done but not sure) a referee should be fit for the level of the game

Why ?... I believe the influx of club players in HS has been increasing exponentially, for example Irmo, NW, SV, Lex etc have nothing but club players on their squad (both genders) this usually translates into a faster\physical game.

Under accountability - there should be recourse to complain about under performing individuals. Currently I do not know of one (see additional stuff under Club/ODp)

brace
brace
Since the conversation includes the inane on the boys thread. . .

Nice job, futbol(soccer)—probably not something they would do—$$$—but needed and i think you are on target—

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
world cup
world cup
#1 is OK as is, 40 minute halves don't bother me too much.
#3 already occurs, the game clock is shut off at 2:00 (unless you are talking about the state final match).

#2 and #4......I agree with you 100%.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
throw in
throw in
Yeah but he wants it kept on the field the whole game (from my perspective)

"DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME THE PLAYER PLAYS"
W
bench
bench
W
#4 should be number #1.

I believe "accountability" is too strong of a term. Report card or a "customer" rating, seems to be a better term. Of course assessors already do this to a degree.

B
throw in
throw in
B
Speaking as a referee I would not mind seeing any of the changes listed by futbol being enacted, but you are going to have to increase the number of referees (at least in the Midlands)by at least 35% to work 3 man crews and not have any conflict of interest situations. Frequently the Midlands assignor is looking for game officials to work a game just 2 or 3 hours before it begins, and that is with 2 man crews. Then if you work in the "accountability" factor certain refs would not be able to work certain games you are cutting the numbers even further. So for the changes to take place, 1 out of every 3 posters on this site are going to have to make calls on the pitch not from the stands as you are now. So ante up, put your butt inside the touchline; its far better exercise than posting on the computer, and playing soccer vicariously through your kids, plus scores of fans on one side of the field can tell you "To Call It Both Ways!"

goal kick
goal kick
Refs are in a precariously impossible position. For the team the call was against, it was a bad call. For the team the call was for, it was a good call. My husband refs and WILL NOT make a call unless he has a clear view of the play. Some coaches do not like the fact that he will not "assume" what the players are saying is true. If he has a bad angle or has several players between himself and the play, he feels he can not make a valid call.
There are some refs that will make calls without seeing the entire play. I do not agree that this is good for the game or the players. Even worse are those that have flagaphobia and won't call anything. But one thing I do know- a lot of refs are pompass and WILL hold negative comments against players and coaches. This is true in all regions and levels of play-club and school. 3man games would be heaven. I do not know a ref that wouldn't LOVE to have 3 officials at a game.
I personally feel there should be a group of reviewers who go to games and rate the refs. Perhaps some of the club board members or ADs/phys ed teachers. Unannounced and anonymous critique given to the assignors.

'A ten-foot keeper really should have stopped that' -Ron Atkinson

Link Copied to Clipboard