Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
who_me? Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Saturday night two SC ’88 All-star teams played in ‘Clash of the Carolinas inaugural. It would be interesting to get a feel for the role of ODP in these 32 player's development. Can anyone give some insight on the amount of involvement with ODP the 'Clash of the Carolinas' players have had over the years?

I didn't do it, but if I had you never would have known.
brace
brace
We decided early to NOT participate in ODP; it appeared to be a waste of time considering we were very happy with our club experience and especially with playing most of my daughter's years in club in premier league. I hope ODP has improved, but it was disappointing when we first considered it in the late 1990s. (This is one participant in the SC Clash squad.)

If I may add, the difference between SC and NC girls, in my opinion, was the club experience of these high school players. But NC and SC ODP involvement could also be a factor—interesting.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
B
goal
goal
B
There are many points to be made about this topic, and some of them have been beat to death before. At the risk of rehashing some of these, I'm going to offer some of the items we considered when participating.

First, the "role of ODP in these 32 player's development". ODP in my opinion is not about player development. The program exists as an attempt to bring players to the national teams. While there are other avenues that can be had, the basic purpose of ODP as I have read is to identify the talent for the national teams. Player development happens at the local clubs. Just because individual players that played in the Clash, may not have chosen to participate in ODP, doesn't mean they didn't have the local training to provide them with the ability, only that they chose not to.

For those that do not play on premier level teams, or high level tournaments, it provides a means of exposure for those players to be evaluated by others, including various colleges. There is the possibility that a player that has chosen to play on a local Classic team, can make the ODP team, and still have an avenue for college level play.

For those that are not members of a club that actively seeks recruiting opportunities for those players with an interest in playing at college, it provides an avenue for exposure to college coaches.

We made our decision to participate in ODP, and have for 4 years now, due primarily to the above. Now that we are in a different situation, with a club with demonstrated recruiting interest, on a premier level team, and playing in high level tournaments, we may reconsider.

However, ODP has met our expectations so far. Given the rise of SC in terms of regional competiveness both club and ODP, more SC players are being recognized at the region camp this year.

brace
brace
Excellent points, Bear.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
A
bench
bench
A
I have serious questions about the program and its benefits. A better relationships with the ODP system for both parents and players is needed. Clearly administration does a poor job informing parents about the process, and keeping them in tune with infomation when games are being played.(quick to remind when $ is due)I have been disappointed in the system, sending off players without communication once they are with administration. But no one wants to step up and bring issues forward for fear of loosing an opportunity for their child to play. Exposure being the main issue, certainly for the money we could get more of that too.

Link Copied to Clipboard