Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90543 10/04/07 12:14 AM
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
The SCHSSCA has been entertaining the idea of sponsoring a Senior Combine for high school seniors to participate in and showcase themselves to collegiate coaches. We need to have a count of how many potential seniors would participate in such a showcase.

Please answer the questions to the poll below.

Would you participate in a senior combine?
multiple choice
Yes (54%, 26 Votes)
No (0%, 0 Votes)
Male (33%, 16 Votes)
Female (13%, 6 Votes)
Total Votes: 48
Voting on this poll ends: 11/01/07 12:00 AM
Last edited by Kyle Heise; 10/04/07 12:55 AM.
S
sc Offline
bench
bench
S
yes / boy

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
something like this is seriously needed for the guys that dont have the advantage to play for big schools

formally known as the swanseawinger07
corner kick
corner kick
Problem is that most high school soccer players are not noticed by college coaches at high school games. They are recognized more from challenge, premier and elite club teams.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
goal
goal
Problem is that most high school soccer players are not noticed by college coaches at high school games. They are recognized more from challenge, premier and elite club teams.

No they aren't. My sons prep team has two players in college right now spotted playing high school. I've never seen college coaches at club games unless they are actually coaching.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Quote:

No they aren't. My sons prep team has two players in college right now spotted playing high school. I've never seen college coaches at club games unless they are actually coaching.

I could not disagree more.... College coaches may not go to club games (unless you are proactive and invite them when you are in their area)as a norm (my boys team has had many coaches at his games), but they do go to tournaments, camps and ODP events.
Even in HS games, the tournaments are the Carolina Cup in Wando, the Palmetto Cup In BC and the Viking Cup in Spring Valley. And even then they will go to see certain teams with certain players who have already been identified from club play.

S
goal
goal
S
Totally agree with futbol:
College coaches do attend club matches,saw coach Bramble at wenwood several weeks ago watching a GA vs NC girls match. Quality of high school soccer is so inconsistent, that in states that have the mercy rule (10 goal difference)over 60% of matches are called before time expires. Also, can anyone name a player that opted out of club bal to play high school soccer, then received a D-1 soccer scholarship based on his or her body of work in high school. ?

B
kick off
kick off
B
Looks like CESA already has a combine set. See young loc's post.

atl
goal kick
goal kick
The SCHSSCA Combine is for Seniors.

The CESA combine is for freshman, sophomores, and juniors, and it is also a great idea.

I believe that any soccer combine would be a great opportunity for many student athletes around the state, especially those who are not affiliated with a proactive club team. There are many soccer players who have the ability to play college soccer, but just haven’t had an opportunity to highlight their respective skills and abilities. And the players who have already showcased themselves through clubs and ODP, well, this will simply be another opportunity to expose their talents to other coaches. Either way, any chance to highlight S.C. soccer players is a GREAT thing and should be encouraged. Especially when you consider the fact that most of the soccer players currently playing in S.C. colleges and universities are out-of-state and/or international players.

By the way, NCAA Division I is not the only place to play. Check out some of the other conferences, because a scholarship is still a scholarship…….

NCAA D2
NCAA D3
NJCAA-I
NJCAA-III
NCCAA
NAIA
NWAACC

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Just to offer an update on this issue.

Thanks to Dutch Fork boys soccer coach Wayne Quinlan for working on the possibility of hosting a SCHSSCA Soccer Combine for high school seniors. Unfortunately, the SCHSL Competition Committee voted down our proposal to host a combine.

After considering an alternative "Clinic" style training session, it was eliminated due to the fact that no player versus player competition is allowed -- not even 1v1. All that could be tested would be skill drills.

At any rate, no high school coaches could be involved with the clinic and only college or club coaches would be allowed to instruct. High school coaches would be allowed, but not instruct or coordinate. Also ruled out is any school versus school competition.

Thanks again to Coach Quinlan for his unselfish efforts in exploring this opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard