Next Thread
Print Thread
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Ryan officially out as U.S. women's soccer coach
U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati makes the announcement: Greg Ryan's contract will not be renewed. They will have a three-person search committee planning 30-45 days to find a new coach: Gulati, secretary general Dan Flynn and Mia Hamm.

Gulati, asked how much the Hope Solo saga weighed into the decision to let Ryan go, said there was no specific incident that swayed him.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I said this in an earlier thread - there is no way that a coach who wins 40+ games gets fired after losing his first game. Gulati needs to GO! Wait, how about if Gulati takes over the team and gains some "perspective". I suspect that there was trouble long before this, and Gulati was just waiting for Ryan to stub his toe.

Coach Cady GSSM
World Cup
World Cup
I wonder if player relations had anything to do with it. I never heard them complain about him vocally, save the prima Solo, but when you have one of the stingiest defenses the USWNT has ever produced, lose 1 game, tie 9, and win over 40...what gives? Gulati sucks.

S
coach
coach
S
You have to give both Ryan and Gulati credit for consistency. Solo whined and complained about being benched; Ryan allowed her zero tolerance and had her in essence excommunicated from the team so she couldn't sit the bench, eat, get the third-place medal, etc. with the team (I hear she's back in now.)

Gulati showed the same zero tolerance for Ryan playing his hunch with benching Solo and being blown out by Brazil and fired Ryan.

I think you can argue this one various ways -- but it wouldn't seem that anyone has acquitted themselves well in all of this.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
As far as I know, Jose Mourinho is available. He would be a perfect fit for the WNT, and would be the best manager to return them to their recent glory. Plus, it would be very, very amusing to see how he would deal with the meddling of Gulati.

Wishful thinking...

coach
coach
What does this say about the direction of the WNT?
" In the history of sports, there may never have been a coach fired with a better record."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_s...us_womens_.html

L
Goal
Goal
L

He was fired because he is an idiot and should have never been named coach of the wnt.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/exclusives/index.html?article_id=721

L
Goal
Goal
L
Swede Sundhage candidate for USWNT Coach

See the link below.

http://publications.socceramerica.com/in...596&p=81477

Link Copied to Clipboard