Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Soccer16 #91426 12/24/07 09:08 PM
corner kick
corner kick
I don't think the Academy program is going to be as big of a success as people are saying. I spoke to a parent that has a child playing and they just drove 10 hours and stayed overnight just to play one game. That is 20 hours of driving in one weekend and one game. Wow that can get really expensive. Is it worth it??

That there is an RV Clark......
Hobo #91427 12/26/07 05:34 PM
J
bench
bench
J
I remember several years ago driving to Virginia and not playing at all ( not in the Academy). Got up the next morning and drove home due to rain.
The Academy can not predict the weather nor can the tournament officials. Did not hurt my feelings got to spend time with the family and enjoy the company of others.

I
goal
goal
I
SCYS should fund ODP for FREE, so the best of SC can play. They should use the funds they have in reserve, those ear marked for a SCYS complex. If we want to be the best we should let everyone play, not only those who can play and have deep pockets.

world cup
world cup
Tut,

I would agree. It would be nice to see SCYSA build the cost of ODP into the general player registration fees.

Anybody out there know how much extra, per player, that SCYSA would have to charge, in order to cover the cost of ODP?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #91430 01/02/08 10:45 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Hold on a minute. I don't mind helping out someone who needs the help. However, the last time I was at an ODP tryout, the parking lot was full of high end Lexus SUVs. I don't think it's the responsibility of every soccer-playing family in SC to pay for every player on ODP. If the SCYSA wants to add a surcharge to rec and classic level players to build up a "scholarship" or "endownment" fund for those who can demonstrate need, I'll be the first to say that's a great idea. But tell me that I have to subsidize the training of someone who is far more capable of paying than I am, and I have a problem with that.

lurker #91431 01/03/08 12:43 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Have to agree with Lurker on this one..Once people find out that they could pay less or play for free then you will see playmakers and high end players wanting a free ride because their kid is all that!!!No need to argue this point because I have seen this happen first hand..The people that actually need the help would probably be the last to ask for it...

world cup
world cup
cht,

You're exactly right, many parents are too proud to ask for a "handout" so their kids can do something (youth sports) that basically cost them nothing when they were growing up.

So that being the case.....why not build a very small nominal fee into the general registration so that EVERYONE can compete for an ODP spot. Then we are not just catering to those that can "afford it".

How about those 14 year old Chelsea boys down at Disney this past weekend? How much do their parents have to pay for them to get a little extra, high-end training?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #91433 01/03/08 02:22 AM
G
throw in
throw in
G
The parking lot is filled with high end vehicles because it simply cost quite a bit to play elite soccer and dropping thousands of dollars on training and playing elite isn't in reach of everyone. the point of making ODP free is so that more folks with beat up pick ups from construction sites can go to the show. But, I'm with you -- I'm not too keen on subsidizing my Lexus driving neighbor's kid to play elite soccer.

But for the sake of arguement let's assume if you make it free, that those coming to tryouts will increase to 72 (4 teams x 18 player/team), we still only take two teams to subregional, and of course one team to regionals. So for any one gender/age group ...

$85.00 x 72 = $6,120
$235.00 x 36 =$8,460
$750.00 x 18 = $13,500

... for a total of $28,080 for one gender/age group ... or $280,800 for both genders and 5 age groups. Dividing by, say 19,000 players, that be an extra $14.78/player. Currently, recreation players pay $8-$10/year for SCYSA registration.

... in truth not all that bad, but I dont think I could sell that in my house. I'd also argue that we'd then be looking to increase the amount of training we actually give, i.e., why not round 14.78 up to 20, or 25, or ...

... Hmmm, if I had one of the larger clubs with 2000+ recreation players contributing an extra $15/player, or $30,000 total ... I wonder how long it would take them to change allegiances?

... So, in my mind, the current approach has warts on it, but it seems more palitable than the alternative.

... So why not use the Publix money to (partially) foot the bill. Isn't it basically the same arguement. Rather than subsidize the elite player, why not subsidize all players --- why not make SCYSA player registration free ... it costs nothing .. absolutely nothing to join SCYSA.

M
brace
brace
M
If you reverse engineer the national team program you'll find players are selected and do not pay to play. The only conclusion one can draw is fees are paid through contributions made by every club player in the national system.

The current state team system, which feeds the region team system, which feeds the national team system, would benefit from a structure built on the same principal.

I don't need to know how much of my annual rec., classic, or elite level dues are going to the state team financial pool my son or daughter may be fortunate enough to earn a spot on, nor do I care.

Such a system, would lead to a higher level of excellence during the club season for every player interested in playing at the next level. Why? Because competing for a personal reward or in this case an opportunity to earn a spot at the next level does something for an athlete no coach or parent can do.

Having a personal goal to achieve always brings out the best in the athlete who truly wants to do what it takes to succeed. Work hard, be coachable, have a great attitude, spend time with the ball away from practice, do more than is asked of you combined with some natural ability and you might get to play at the next level.

Wouldn't it be great if every player in the SC club system, regardless of financial ability, had the opportunity to compete for a region team spot (currently no charge) or a national team spot (currently no charge) because they were able to compete for a state team spot (currently an additional charge) because the fees were covered within the club fees in the event they were selected.

In my opinion. eligible players should be nominated by their coach and/or club and then invited to tryout by the coach of their SC ODP age group. Players who are not nominated should also be allowed to tryout for a nominal fee. In the event a non nominated player is selected, the participation fees would be paid via the system just as if the player was a nominated and selected player. This would prevent the potential problem of having the entire club system show up for ODP tryouts.

Surely an additional $15 or $20 built into rec. and club fees per season would be a logical way to bring about such an opportunity for all aspiring youth soccer players!

Imagine the excitement that could be generated among SC Club players for ODP with such a system in place.

S
bench
bench
S
manchester

I feel you and know where your coming from. IMO what you are missing is the exceptional players have never had to pay to play soccer. They have always been scholarshipped.

Yes your model is great, but it will only financially afford the "talented" (but not exceptional) player get to their next level.

National teams are made up of exceptional soccer atheletes. These players are usually ALWAYS scholarshipped so your model will not help them or the National programs. It may help some with the opportunity to play college ball somethere, though.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard