Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Chico,
I finally got to meet Kira and see her play. You must be very proud of such a gifted and gracious daughter. She and her teamates play wonderfully together and they were by far the best team we played or watched this weekend. We were lucky to catch them a bit unorganized in the beginning and our all-state forward Caitlin Robinson (the aforementioned #5) got us an early goal assisted by Molly Harpe (#3). Later in the half, Lexington scored on a second chance corner kick that was centered beautifully from Kira. Our all-state goalie Kendall Maxwell definitely kept us in this game towards the end of the first half and into the second with some marvelous saves. Unfortunately, we experienced dejavu in the second half as Lexington AGAIN scored on a second chance corner.

I want to point out that Caitlin had an outstanding tournament with five goals for the three games. Also, Casey Craft (#7) assisted on two of Caitlin's goals and contributed an amazing shot from outside the box to get things started against Eastside. Casey would be the center-piece of almost any other team yet she has embraced her job of feeding the senior machine while getting her shots from the outside. Molly Harpe had a great weekend doing all of the dirty work for us, especially shoring up our defense against Lexington. Mariana Anderson and Emily Wentzky anchored our defense against some fantastic competition and I could not be prouder of them. Heck, everybody on the team had to contribute because our bench was thin (as were many other teams) from illness and injury. I am just so proud of our effort, especially in the final game with Eastside. It would have been easy to mail that game in and go home. But we sucked it up and played well.

Sorry for the long post, but I was bothered by the comments of truefan and the dash and I wanted to respond positively for both teams in that match.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Long live the long post!

I will do my best not to spoil any article I have in the works, but I must say that in my short two/three weeks being exposed to the girl's game - I have been pleasantly surprised at the level of play!

I am happy to have witnessed: [cursory/less than a half] Ben Lippen, Airport, Irmo, Summerville, Ridge View, Blythewood, RNE [at least 40min] Mauldin, James Island, West Ashley, Lexington [full match] Fort Mill, Hilton Head, Brookland-Cayce, and South Aiken.

There were so many other teams I wanted to see! If I could have lived in the press box of Harry Parone for the weekend, I would have gladly done so - regardless of the weather!

Finally, it was nice to meet everyone that I did this weekend. Solid group of supporters on the girl's side!

Final recaps:

Lexington vs West Ashley

I came into this match at 2-0 and I wouldn't say West Ashley had packed their bags, but they had to have been suffering fatigue in a bad way. The Lady Wildcats mustered a regular attack of three or four players, but without the support from a lagging midfield - could never sustain any pressure.

On the other hand, Lexington pressed through a spread possession game that resulted in a third goal shortly after I arrived. With the trio on the scoreboard, less than twenty minutes to play, and a tired West Ashley in front of them, perhaps the Lady Wildcats took their foot off the pedal a bit.

Lexington continued to possess, but were content to pass laterally at midfield rather than press forward. This allowed West Ashley to strafe into the Lexington defensive third, but could not find success until winning a free kick twenty yards from goal. Freshmen forward Hillary Ferguson zipped a well placed shot just beyond the reach of a Lexington keeper at full stretch.

Little else to mention as both teams saw the end in sight. However, Lexington's junior right fullback Calli Cameron did a marvelous job protecting her flank.

Final Score:
Lexington 3
West Ashley 1

J
world cup
world cup
J
South Aiken vs Brookland-Cayce

Disclaimer: This recap is blatantly biased. South Aiken Coach Michael "Yes, I got this sweat suit for Christmas - No, I don't have to look like a soccer coach" Young is a dear "friend" of mine - the type of dear friend that you want to see suffer an epic defeat. Mind you, out of no ill will towards his players, but humble pie sure is tasty!

My actual disclaimer is that though these teams certainly did not take this match lightly - it was a consolation game and was played more or less "just for fun."

Both teams traded possession for the opening minutes, until South Aiken's midfield took over. Sophomore Maggie Bosley and junior Nicole Neill muscled their way up the center of the field creating opportunities, but lacking the final ball.

The Lady Bearcats enjoyed several opportunities of their own from the hands of senior Randall Dominguez. On several occasions the Thoroughbred box turned to chaos under the pressure of a Dominguez throw, but all chances were left wanting.

As the half progressed, South Aiken's Melissa Harris and Nicole Gaul joined Bosley and Neill to form an impressive strike force. However, the Lady T-Breds left four (three when they were pressing!) defenders back at all times.

Where is the sense of adventure?!

0-0 at the Half

Both teams came out of the break with a little more pep, but not enough to produce a goal. B-C's senior midfielder Cayla Fralick emerged as a ball dealer, playing some impressive early balls. The sibling duo of Kayla and Kellie Bingham also provided the Lady Bearcats with several opportunities, the best of which being a wonderful strike from Kayla that was pushed just over the crossbar by 2nd half keeper R.B. Wyatt.

The game finished at a decent pace, with South Aiken pressing for the win. Unable to unlock the B-C eighteen yard box, the game ended in a tie - OR DID IT?!

Penalty kicks were had to decide a "winner" though officially the match is apparently ruled a tie.

South Aiken missed their first two spot kicks then converted their next two. Brookland-Cayce sunk the first three with the forth sailing wide right. B-C keeper Alley Greer finished the match with an emphatic penalty kick that struck the inside of the left post, crossed the goal mouth, and stuck just inside the opposite post.

Unofficial stats:
Shots- SA:5 - B-C:9
SOG- SA:2 - B-C:7
Corners- SA:5 - B-C:2

world cup
world cup
From a "concerned" Dutch Fork parent:

Lexington 2
Byrnes 1

Byrnes scored in the first minute of the match.

Wando 0
JL Mann 0 (Wando advances on PK's 3-1)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal kick
goal kick
Familiar... Should be a good match! Can't wait to watch.

World Cup
World Cup
I would like to thank Jack for his recap, shake my fist at him for not mentioning the goal called back for offsides, and wish him well on his quest to bring back "eastlands" to the casual footwear frontier.

p.s. I haven't had time to go buy my matching indoor soccer shoes and spiffy adidas/nike track suit like all the other coaches. I did manage, however, to use all the right phrases including but not limited to: Unlucky, play on, no turn no turn, switch the field, and play on.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
I hope someone is there always counting the number of players on the field. Good Luck Lexington. This could be your year!!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I hope someone is there always counting the number of players on the field. Good Luck Lexington. This could be your year!!

The officials have been very, very strict in enforcing the "you don't come on the field until she steps off" in our matches. Hopefully they will continue so we don't have to endure another 2007 debacle.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
That's good to hear. Sounds like this year should be another exciting year in girls HS soccer. I think Region 4 is going be pretty strong this year.

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Halftime score:

Wando 2
Lexington 0

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard