Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#95851 03/04/08 11:15 PM
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Quote:

I think 9 is the limit.....you don't try to put up double-digits on anyone.

The "restrictions" you recommend are simple. Only one restriction:

Whoever scores the 10th goal runs for 90 minutes at the following day's practice.

I agree about the double digits mark, but my question is this: Is it more demeaning to score the tenth goal on a team or is it more demeaning to pull the ball back from the goal line and intentionally not score?

I would use the time to work on things your team needs work with, crossing and finishing, fowards checking back, etc. Because in most cases your going to come up agaisnt a better team and you might need these skills to be polished to play against a better opponent.

S
Brace
Brace
S
I agree that you don't put double-digit scores. When i played, teams would put at least 6-7 on us every game and a few would go double digits. bad thing is some coaches would not tell the team to back off. I remember one instance where a kid had scored 3 goals and it was like 6-0 at the half, and the coach wanted him out for the second half and he refused to come back because he said it wasnt right. There's no logical explanation as to why a team should put up double digits, much less 19

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
goal
goal
I think it is more disrespectful to intentionally not try to score. There are so many things you can work on during a game, crossing, taking extra touches, using less dominant foot, etc. But 19 goals is just outrageous. If there is no reason for scoring that many goals or nothing behind that, it is totally uncalled for. But I know nothing of the situation.

All in all, teams should never "give up" but at the same time they should show some class.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
yes it was unsportsmanlike score but maybe teams like cliton should not have a soccer program.. just a thought

goal
goal
The world is not fair. I dont think 10 or 12 is that bad for high school soccer.

There are also different ways than scoring goals to humilate your enemy. If you are up 9 or 10 already why not play possesion of play a game of nutmeg vs your opponent. This will keep the score level down and you skill level at top notch. But it will prolly make them still feel bad, cant really avoid that.

I hate floppers
C
kick off
kick off
C
I believe that when scoring gets that one-sided, the referees should call the game. That's ridiculious to run the score up that high.

brace
brace
Andy Robinson at Eastide last year held our team to NO shots (actually, his girls did!). They responded by laying the ball in the corner, working on defense and passing, and stretching a first half 6-0 lead into a final of 6-0. Classy, classy, classy. As a soccer fan, I appreciated it. As an opponents' father, my impression of him and his world class soccer program was made. Our ex-coach was furious, but he didn't know much about soccer.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
That's a classy suggestion. The coach should run with them.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Quote:

yes it was unsportsmanlike score but maybe teams like cliton should not have a soccer program.. just a thought

I don't think this is a solution. If there is enough interest in soccer within a school let them have a team. Remember we are trying to build up soccer in America not tear it down.

kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Kyle, has a "mercy rule" every come up in the annual coaches meeting?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard