Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I heard it applied to corner kicks as well. I heard a coach shout it (ahem!) from the opposite sidelines as we were setting up. Does it apply to indirect kicks as well? He's smarter than I am so I would think so.

The six second rule only applies to the goalkeeper possessing the ball in her hands. Delay of game on restarts such as free kicks, corners, throw-ins, etc are in the judgement of the referee. There is no set time limit.

Coach P #96019 03/06/08 07:27 PM
N
corner kick
corner kick
N
Quote:

The restart after a 6 second violation is a direct kick from where the infraction occurred. This would have to be inside the penalty area or the keeper would be guilty of handling the ball outside of the area which is a direct kick foul.

it should be an indirect free kick...

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

* takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands, before releasing it from his possession
* touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
* touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
* touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Coach P #96020 03/06/08 07:27 PM
B
throw in
throw in
B
Coach P you are correct in all your observations, but one, the restart for the six second violation is an indirect free kick where the infraction occured, unless in the goal area (inside the 8'yard box)when it would be moved to the nearest point of that box. You are quite right about no other time limits.

Coach P #96021 03/06/08 07:33 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Since this is a high school match we are discussing, the NFHS rules would govern this action. I don't have my NFHS rule book with me right now, but here is the applicable section from the FIFA Laws of the Game (which don't apply to high school):

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
• takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands before releasing it from his possession
• touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
• touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

The indirect free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P you are correct in all your observations, but one, the restart for the six second violation is an indirect free kick where the infraction occured, unless in the goal area (inside the 8'yard box)when it would be moved to the nearest point of that box. You are quite right about no other time limits.

You are correct that I left out the part about the infraction occuring inside the goal area (6 yards). If the infraction occurs inside the goal area, the indirect free kick is taking from the nearest point on the goal area line parallel to the goal line (ie the 6-yd line).

Coach P #96023 03/06/08 07:38 PM
corner kick
corner kick

In past games I have noticed the keeper bouncing the ball off the ground. Does this reset the six second timer?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

In past games I have noticed the keeper bouncing the ball off the ground. Does this reset the six second timer?

No. Bouncing the ball is still considered possession by the keeper. The keeper releases the ball from her possession by distributing to another player or out of play, or by playing the ball with her feet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard