Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
throw in
throw in
H
Rock and Roll Bob is probably one of the best I have ever had. Would love to have every game reffed by someone as able as him.

goal
goal
i'd like to add another comment about r&r bob. i stopped him after a club match a couple years ago to ask about a call - which happened sometime in the first half - and how he came to his decision. now, i'm not talking about any spectacular foul that everybody went ooh and ahh over, no card given, just a vanilla-flavored foul - he remembered exactly what i was talking about! and he explained in detail why he made the call he did.

i was probably only 20 yds from where this particular foul happened, and i saw it one way. he was on the other side from me, but closer to the action, and guess what? he saw something completely different. his explanation made perfect sense, though. as close as i was, he was closer and had a better angle. here i was thinking, "man, he screwed that one up" - cause i KNEW that i was right, and as it turns out, i missed something very small, but very important in his making the call he did.

my point being - i think we need to BACK OFF the refs a little sometimes, and give them the benefit of the doubt.

another thread going on right now is a perfect example of why - dozens of posters are watching the slow motion replay, and STILL can't agree on what the correct call is. so what makes you think you can do a better job than the man ON the field with NO slo-mo?

at matches, i hear a LOT of parents screaming at refs over calls, when it's obvious that these people don't even understand the laws of the game. but the funny thing is, they seem to want everyone else to know how much they "know" about the game by screaming loudly and giving a constant commentary, when all it does is make them look worse.

sorry, got off-subject a little...getting back to bob...right after we finished talking about the one foul, he asked another guy who was standing there with us (and who also happens to be a ref) if he had seen a match a week or so earlier that he (bob) had called, and what he thought about his officiating. this other guy said, "well, i didn't think it was your best match" and bob AGREED with him. how often do you see that? i got a whole new respect for the guy right then and there - he was not only asking for opinions on how he did his job, but accepted the criticism graciously.

we need more rock and roll bobs!

**disclaimer - i do not personally know r&r bob, nor was i compensated in ANY way for this post.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Have always respected Shumpert (never can remember first name) from the Columbia area.

I believe his first name is Kenny. He is definitely one of the best in the Columbia area. We need more like him but sadly they don't seem to be around.

A
throw in
throw in
A
I thought that Horst Daichendt did a good job the last time we had him. Also, there is another Jeremy, not Brooks, that seems to be very consistent.

bench
bench
hey guys, thanks for the kind words again... i do try to bring my energy and excitement to any game that i do... and i work to gain the respect of coaches and players (fans are their own breed)... i try to bring my best to every game no matter what level, from U10 to Charleston Battery... in general, referees need to hear when they do well, so please encourage ALL to let them know that... most are way to fast to criticize but not to compliment... and SMILE...

Let's Rock 'n Roll, Bob Wern
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
is rock and roll bob also know as ponytail bob? if so he be good. only refed one of my games in club state championship, and i was pleased.

goal kick
goal kick
i dont know many of the names but like youll said earlier abbott is a very unbaised good official

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Great post Belligerent! I agree with your analysis of refs! I personally would vote for Dennis Cook. He knows his stuff.

kick off
kick off
I agree with wolfgang. Rock and roll bob is one of my favorites

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
saw some good games and had similar events in each with different comments. tackle in the penalty box, the referee was quite a ways away and give NO PK. the coaches yelled and complained, and some but not too much from the players. referee had problems with the coach from then on. saw rock and roll in a game, and actually the tackle looked worse, but he was right there and yelled "NO". not much from the bench and nothing from the players. my point/question is do certain referees get respect for their calls because of who they are? or is it just a better judgment/position issue?

Soccer Rules, Sam
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard