Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98724 04/04/08 05:17 PM
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
hey i wanted to know what everyone though about the region this year? Has anything suprised anyone?

"honor is not in the weapon, it is in the man..." highlander endgame
goal kick
goal kick
The biggest surprise is Lake City. They continue to improve each time we play them. They even got a win over Marlboro County on Tuesday.
Right now it looks like Wilson will win the region. The rest is up in the air. I won't make predictions beyond that.

C
kick off
kick off
C
ill be surprised if any team here gets to the second round of playoffs...very surprised.

goal kick
goal kick
I don't disagree with that prediction.
Here is why. Take a look at where all these schools fall on the poverty index. Most people in our area don't even know we have a soccer team. At our game last night we didn't even have one parent go to the game.
Besides poverty, we have NO soccer in Darlington for kids. My team has four kids who have grown up playing soccer, only one of which grew up in the area. Of those three only two played a lot. Those two obviously are my most solid players. I have four guys on varsity who are first year players, four who are second year. I have nobody who plays in the offseason. They would like to, but usually don't have the money. If the money weren't a problem, they usually don't have a ride. We do the best we can with what we have.
I would say Wilson may have a chance to get past the first round.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
One thing to note. At least soccer is now being offered. Back when I did my run of years in the 'small rural school districts' soccer wasn't even an option. You could ask to start a team but there would be no money for the program or support from the school. Now given, there also wasn't enough money for the other 'normal' programs either -basketball, football, baseball. I remember driving my truck over to my 4A alma matter to get their old-throw-away football pads, helmets, and anything else they had to give us just so our 1A team could be 'properly equipped.' You should see the sight of a wide receiver wearing a linesman’s facemask on his helmet......

Then again, this was also true for academic issues as well sometimes. Those of us fortunate enough to have the resources might should take a turn someplace where those resources are not available. Might “learn ya something.” Soccer and non-soccer…… I’ll be the first to admit that our program is very fortunate to have the players, facilities, support, and parents that we have for both school and soccer and that I sometimes forget my days back at The Branch.

Kudos to those who have started and stuck with their programs in those non-soccer areas.

tk

Tony King
goal kick
goal kick
Very true. What I say is not to complain, I love the kids I coach and am glad to teach them a sport I love. The reality is that unless you have some type of feeder program in any sport, you will struggle. Take softball in Darlington, they are currently the number one ranked team in 3A. I guess I should clarify that soccer is not very popular in America in poor neighborhoods. It is seen as a rich man's game. Which is opposite in the rest of the world. I have a player from Jamaica who is probably one of the best players in the state. Where he is from, everybody rich and poor plays soccer. That is what they do instead of basketball. Poor families link their backyards together so they have a place to play. I always tell my players I don't care about wins or losses. I care about them developing a winning attitude and/or a competitive spirit.
Appreciate the comments coach.

C
Coach
Coach
C
If you build it--and not just the program, but the attitude--it will grow. As you pointed out, many of the great players from other countries didn't get that way from spending big money to train at powerhouse clubs. They got that way playing in their backyards and making it a way of life.

Make it something they enjoy doing, win or lose, and more will join in. Make it something they value, and you'll have them asking to take balls home with them--suddenly "practice" isn't enough practice for them; they'll want to kick a ball around on the weekends. Let them take a few balls home, and next they'll be gathering for pick-up games...playing unsupervised...bringing in people off the street who are liable to show up at your tryouts one year wanting to play this "elite" sport...possibly picking up some "bad" habits right along with the skills...

...and following a recipe for success that's worked all over the world.

Keep it up...it won't happen overnight, or even over a couple of seasons, probably. But it can happen.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
Brace
Brace
S
Coach Chass, I'm starting to see that happening down here in my area. Earlier we got whipped 10-1, it was our 1st loss of the season, and i was worried about how the kids would take it. They were upset, not at the refs, other team, but themselves for letting them run over us like that. So they decided to come to practice on a Saturday at 8 am. I went, thinking no one would show up, and by 8:15, the team was there, tired ready to practice. And even though we've gotten beaten somewhat badly (8-0, 6-1) after that, the kids see that they're slowly progressing and want to practice very minute and just play, which is the attitude i've been trying to put down here.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Coach
Coach
C
Great stuff...and it's rewarding to watch them develop, especially when they really WANT to. I can remember when one of our first "victories" was holding Wando, West Ashley, James Island and Summerville in single digits. Might not seem like much to brag on, but at that point in the program, it was a milestone--progress they could measure and take some pride in. Keep it up!

I've got good news and bad news...

Link Copied to Clipboard