Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bear #98844 04/08/08 12:45 PM
T
Throw In
Throw In
T
The insinuation was PP can't get 3A/4A teams to play them, yet you've played JI the last 3 years, and Summerville too, and had the better of JI. Are you missing something?

T. Robinson #98845 04/08/08 01:55 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Thanks. Keep in mind, I have nothing to do with the scheduling, only a spectator. I was really trying to respond to a direct question from someone in the middle of the state. Obviously, their opinion is that the good teams include either Chapin or Lexington. My real point I guess is why would we have to travel to Columbia to get good games? I've been at all 3 games at James Island, and enjoy going over there. But if you look at the Pinewood schedule for the last few years, it's been BE, James Island, AM, and Lincoln that have provided regular season games. We have played Stratford once in that time also. Games against Summerville have been in tournaments, and we have played Wando in a tournament and this year in a scrimmage. I think we have scrimmaged and played West Ashley in a tournament, over the last 3 or 4 years.

I just don't understand why Pinewood can't get regular season games with Summerville, Wando, Fort D, Stratford, West Ashley, in addition to the other regular season games mentioned above. Probably a couple of years ago, I don't think Pinewood would be worthy opponents for many of those, but in the recent past, and the direction the program is going for the next couple of years, they should be. Why should they have to travel to Columbia to get games, when there are more than enough quality games to be had in the low country?

Bear #98846 04/08/08 02:11 PM
T
Throw In
Throw In
T
Cheers, Bear. I see your point now and agree completely. My bad. I would encourage any school to play Pinewood. The coaches are excellent and their players well trained, disciplined, and skillful. The match has been invaluable to me over the years because I can always count on our weaknesses being exposed in a match like that. Being afraid to lose is like being afraid to learn. Good luck to you.

T. Robinson #98847 04/10/08 11:01 PM
803 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Bear, I would encourage teams to play Pinewood as well but i dont understand why do you assume that they would have to come to you? Does that mean they would only play the good teams if they came to Pinewoods's field? And i agree with you in that they shouldnt have to travel up to columbia to do so, there are many top notch teams in the lower part of the state as well, but pinewood shouldnt be afraid to tarvel once in a while, after all, usually kids have more fun on bus rides anyway and after all, high school soccer should be fun.

803 #98848 04/10/08 11:23 PM
D
bench
bench
D
i think bear has a point. very few good 3a/4a schools want to play a decent scisa team because they have nothing to gain from winning. although i dont think this means that Pinewood shouldnt try to schedual some harder games...hammond plays dutch fork irmo chapin dreher cardinal newman and porter gaud. cardinal newman plays spring valley chapin norman north faragot west ashley and northwestern. i would enjoy watching more quality pinewood prep games, they are a talented team and consitantly play well.

Darnell #98849 04/15/08 06:19 PM
H
bench
bench
H
Mark these words... Pinewood is OVERRATED!!!

HotSkeet101 #98850 04/15/08 10:49 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Wow HotSkeet, kind of harsh for a coach. Care to elaborate on the basis of your opinion, or is this going to just be a hit and run?

Quote:

William Eudy is by far the best coach i have ever coached against

I too agree that Will Eudy is a great coach. However, most coaches wouldn't do what you did in this thread. So, something just doesn't seem right. Perhaps if you enlightened the group about which team you coach we would understand.

HotSkeet101 #98851 05/10/08 10:42 PM
O
bench
bench
O
Quote:

Mark these words... Pinewood is OVERRATED!!!

Wow, you really can call it! Pinewood has just won its fifth straight state championship. Define overrated.

Ole_Man_7 #98852 05/10/08 11:11 PM
Brace
Brace
It is difficult sometimes for Charleston area teams, especially small schools, to get games with quality local competition. 4A Regions have agreements with "sister" regions that their non-region games will be filled with teams from the other Region. In years past, this agreement completed the 16 game schedule. This meant that the soccer coach got to schedule his preseason games and tournaments.

From what I understand, this rule has been relaxed a bit to allow 4A teams to schedule 1-2 regular games. Please correct me if I am wrong. We have been lucky enough to play Fort Dorchester and West Ashley in the regular season in years past. We are also lucky to play James Island along with the aforementioned teams in the preseason.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
C
Coach
Coach
C
Regions 7 and 8-AAAA (which include the teams you mentioned) have had such an agreement for as long as I can remember, and it is still in effect by mutual consent, but coaches can drop "sister" region matches by mutual consent in favor of scheduling regular season matches that better suit their needs. Next season will also be interesting with both regions going to only 5 teams each, with O-W moving out of Region 7 and Battery Creek moving to AAA from Region 8. I'm very curious to see how the pre-arranged schedules will look with these new numbers and how much leeway we will have to schedule regular-season matches with "non-traditional" opponents.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard