Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Darnell #98854 05/13/08 02:47 PM
bench
bench
The reason a lot of the schools around town don't play Pinewood is that they don't like playing a school that can recruit from them and can pick and choose players from the whole Tri-county area. That's the perception of a few schools atleast.

Chris Rolfe #98855 05/13/08 04:55 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Chris,

Be careful, some people might link a statement like that to one showing lack of guts.

And just think about it, we almost went an entire season without someone mentioning private school's "recruiting" players. Normally though, it's all about BE and them playing in the SCHSL, this one is unique, in that it just comes off as whining.

Could it be that Pinewood can offer players more than the other "schools around town" when it comes to soccer?

Last edited by Bear; 05/13/08 06:21 PM.
Bear #98856 05/13/08 05:09 PM
bench
bench
Quote:

Could it be that Pinewood can offer players more than the other "schools around town" when it comes to soccer?

Unfortunately, you're right. Pinewood has the potential offer more than most programs. Mainly because public schools are restricted by things called districts and zones. We can't go down the street and recruit at the local club teams or schools. We're forced to try and attract players from a limited pool. But of course you've already heard all these things. So let me just end with a metaphor and a question.

First, I like to equate the relationship between public schools and privates to Nations and Pro clubs. Pro clubs have the unlimited potential to be the best possible team because they can draw from anywhere they want. And they play fantastic soccer. Nations can't go anywhere else. They can only draw from their citizens. Therefore, yes Pinewood has the potential to have a better program.

But here's the question. Playing for who brings more honor?

Chris Rolfe #98857 05/13/08 05:40 PM
bench
bench
As a post-script to my last statement, I would like to say that I hold no grudges against private schools as such. What distresses me is when students leave outstanding public schools to attend private schools for soccer reasons only. The priority scheme that some private schools place in kids' heads is warped considering very few soccer players get scholarships to colleges or go on to play pro. But once again, this is not directed toward anyone (not even Pinewood). And bear, your inability present an intelligent argument and your use of reference to my "testicles" is kind of dissapointing. My comment was meant to answer the questions put forth in this forum. Sorry if the truth offends you.

Chris Rolfe #98858 05/13/08 06:42 PM
B
goal
goal
B
After thinking about it, I've changed my post. It could have been too harsh, and I didn't want to face the wrath of moderators. But more importantly, I just didn't want to take the time to put intelligence to my post earlier, not that I didn't think about it.

I do understand your point. However, by "younger" players moving to Pinewood, or any other SCISA school, they tend to be afforded the opportunity to play Varsity level soccer sooner, and therefore development could progress at a faster rate than if they were playing on a JV team. Older, faster, stronger players in both practice and games. It could be the increased potential for development, coupled with a sound education, produces a student athlete that is more "recruitable" at a private school. Does that mean every kid is going to get an athletic scholarship, no. But for those that aspire to that end, private school could provide an avenue of increased possibility. That's a little more intelligent response.

There are many reasons for parents to choose to enroll their child in private school. Athletics can be one.

I assume that your honor question is related to playing for country or club. More to the point, I'm thinking that you're saying playing for community, i.e. the high school you're districted for, is somehow more important than playing for a private school. Depending on your definition of community, a school could be it's own community. As such, if you feel a sense of community, you can feel the same sense of honor playing for either.

In the end, our country is one of choice, and where choice exists, not all are going to agree with the choices parents/players make.

Besides, given the anonymity of the board, and the flavor of your post, there are limited possibilities of the author.

Bear #98859 05/13/08 07:15 PM
bench
bench
These type of subjects need to be vented every once in a while but I'm going to make a few last comments and then back off this chat I think. After your response, if you have one, just message me privately. I'm tired of beating a dead horse out in the open.

Heres what I think:
First, "younger" players do NOT get to to play at Pinewood. Noone, who wants to win, plays "younger" players. They play their best players. So don't give the civil service rhetoric.
Secondly, certain schools do more than recruit "young" players. They take some of the better developed players. And this point is what the metaphor was about. When players move to a private school their junior year in order to play varsity soccer at a winning private school they show a lack of good character and respect for commitment. It would be like a national team player living in a country his whole life and then changing citizenships in order to be on a better team. That's great for the individual, except they lose a since of determined commitment to a cause.

And in regard to the overall post subject, why would I play cards with a pickpocket knowing I'm going to lose money even if I win the hand?

Chris Rolfe #98860 05/13/08 07:21 PM
world cup
world cup
If my daughter plays for a club team, and a number of the better players on that team choose to go to another more competitive club, is she showing "good character" if she stays with her existing team?

If my daughter chooses to leave her club team, because it is becoming less competitive, and she wants to be challenged at a higher level, is she showing a "lack of good character"?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #98861 05/13/08 08:10 PM
B
goal
goal
B
I'll take your advice, but feel it necessary to address the "younger" players.

The Pinewood Varsity team routinely started 2 or 3 freshmen this season. Other freshmen and sophomores played substantial minutes in most games. Yes, there were games in which players didn't play as much, or at all, but the same can be said about any competitive match, with many schools.

Hurst66 #98862 05/13/08 08:25 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Quote:

If my daughter plays for a club team, and a number of the better players on that team choose to go to another more competitive club, is she showing "good character" if she stays with her existing team?

If my daughter chooses to leave her club team, because it is becoming less competitive, and she wants to be challenged at a higher level, is she showing a "lack of good character"?

Hurst, I did not know you were the Voice of Reason!

Hurst66 #98863 05/13/08 09:06 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Hurst, well put.
In many cases, when you're talking about abstracts like character and honor, it's not so much about what people do as it is about the reasons they do it.

Just to play devil's advocate...

If your daughter plays for a club team, and she feels she is not being challenged and developed, and she believes she will become a better player in a different environment, that is one thing...

If she receives good training and development, grows as a player, and then leaves simply because she believes she can have a better winning record on a more stacked team, is that the same thing?

Same player chooses to stay with her team. If she does so because of loyalty and the belief that she is gaining something meaningful and can help build something, is that the same as staying because she doesn't want to have to push herself as hard to get the field time on the more competitive team?

Same action, different motivations. Are they the same? Can you make a judgement on a person's character based on a surface action, without knowing the reasons behind it?

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard