Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
S
Hey i had to make a new thread so that the post scores thread wouldn't get swallowed by this issue. Once i figure how to put the other posts on this issue on here i will but for now, let's continue the conversation here. Back to the topic.............

We've had that happen on our games. 90% of our team is hispanic, and most of the bashing is done by fans, either students or even some adults. Heck i've had one instance happen where a fan yelled the n word at one of our players a few years back. The home team should be able to handle that, whether it be the coaches, AD or the refs warning the crowd, because that will cause trouble on the field.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
kick off
kick off
I think that there are some very biased calls against Hispanics being called. I see it all the time and it's very unjust!

@chicagoredstars
kick off
kick off
If it starts getting real bad have the School Resorce Officer aka Police Man step in. I have seen them present at many a games and I assume they are they for crowd control via district policy.

S
goal
goal
S
Let's not get off topic here guys...I agree that any verbal fan abuse towards a players in not warranted nor acceptable. However, let me assure you that the High School referrees are not singling out Hispanics. The refs are having alot of difficulties this year. Just see the other threads on this board. To say Hispanics are being called more than others is way off base because from what I have witnessed this year the refs have a difficult time interpreting the rules and communicating their calls during a game.

Now to have only one school resource officer present at a public high school game, he better have a pretty good radio. We have city police prescence at all of our games for everyone's security.

S
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
S
Agreed. Refs have enough trouble already, and i personally have yet to experience any "favoritism" because of race alone.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Brace
Brace
I have seen more issues with refs related to bias towards teams and/or players vs ethnic. Also, fans and parents can control a great deal of this by saying something to the idiots making the comment.

Rick Fielden
throw in
throw in
The problem last night was both on the field and in the stands - - -

Maybe I am wrong, but I have just learned to ignore the fools in the stands when they try to pull for their team by berating and belittling the other team's players. Although - I do have major problems when there is talk between the stands and officials. Last night, the officials were talking back and forth with fans, which in my opinion is a "Never Do!"
Again, I may be considered wrong, but I know as a former athlete (high school and college) the level of trash talking that goes on, and I have had to learn to ignore and just play the game.
The BIG problem was the Anglo players who were on the field using abusive and vulgar language (although it was in Spanish). If we are going to red card English d's and h's - then we must also red card f's even if spoken in another language.

The Palmetto player who hit another player in retaliation was red carded. Yet - no other player from Easley, nor the coach who ran onto the field was even yellow carded in this instance.

MUSTANGS are a Proud Breed! 2008 - This Is Our Year
goal
goal
I like when the fans get involved and "heckle" players. It adds more excitement and more emotion. BUT, when the fans began cussing and saying racist remarks at players, it has gone way too far. The school resource officer usually will, or should, step in.

P
kick off
kick off
P
The berating of players on the field is something I feel truly needs to be addressed. Fandom in several areas of the state has turned away from rooting for the home team and against the away team and toward a contest of which mob can be the biggest group of jerks. Students and parents alike (and this is certainly not all parents by any stretch of the imagination) make it a point to attempt to degrade and humiliate those on the field via taunting, shots at player sexual identity, use of racial and ethnic slurs, use of profanity toward players, and even threats of "meeting after the game." I find this kind of behavior disgusting and inexcusable.

Further, it elevates the pitch of emotion on the field. We all know the game is a highly strung situation; teams often thrive off the combative nature of soccer. It is undoubtedly intensified by the age of the players- I know of no adolescent who isn't, at times, swung by their emotions to commit acts thoughtlessly. To say that players should be disciplined enough not to give in is the correct way to approach any hostile situation, but teen-aged kids are what they are.

I feel that the culture of hostility- that I must punish and degrade my foe at the expense of all sense of dignity- is beneath the dignity of the game in our state.

S
goal
goal
S
There was an interesting interview on the radio today with the SCHSL head of football officials. Don't remember his name. The comment that caught my attention was that a referree should never interact with the fans. When a ref starts that they have already lost.

I wish someone would look at the soccer refs because more often than not I have witnessed them prolonging a discussion/arguement/disagreement/judgement call.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard