Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
bench
bench
G
one thing i might add is that a lot of the time hispanic players are just as bad at cursing in spanish as english players are in english.

soccer 08, i've heard your players say a few curse words in spanish when they miss a goal. it may not be directed at another player, but that's besides the point. no cursing should be allowed at all.

but the big problem is that officials don't know the spanish curse words. i say teach them all a lot of words so that the spanish ones can be dealt with as well!

goal kick
goal kick
I remember talking with my son about this when he was playing HS soccer. A couple of the AAAA schools had student fans with reputations for going over the line, and it was sometimes directed at him. As a player he always thought it was funny, and sometimes motivational, but never personal so long as it came from the students. He actually liked it when opponents students tried to razz him, it meant he was playing well. He gave them points for original put downs, and ignored the common everyday cuss words as too being too easy. In general, he always enjoyed student fans no matter what was said since he knew they were just trying to get in his head.
As for parents who crossed the line, he claimed it was easy to pick out their kids on the field, as it was usually the kid who was either cringing so bad or so lacking in skill in the first place that they likely were a vunerable point of attack. He felt that obnoxious parents hurt their own team more than they distracted the opponent. So maybe the other parents who want to see their kids succeed should be the ones discouraging this behavior.

I didn't do it, but if I had you never would have known.
throw in
throw in
Quote:

soccer 08, i've heard your players say a few curse words in spanish when they miss a goal. it may not be directed at another player, but that's besides the point. no cursing should be allowed at all.

but the big problem is that officials don't know the spanish curse words. i say teach them all a lot of words so that the spanish ones can be dealt with as well!

I agree wholeheartedly - and I certainly know the language of some of our guys as well. (How do you think those who fail Spanish know these words - lol!) My point is in total agreement with yours. If cursing is a point of emphasis in the league this year among officials - then it ought to be emphasized in either language. I know some will say ignorant things like, "when in US then speak English." The fact remains that in the sport of soccer in the US, there are many Hispanic players who use the language to an advantage to those who do not know it. And unfortunately, there are equally many Anglos who use the language as derogatory and demeaning. I do not think either should be allowed.
I would say, as you, teach the officials - - - but we seem to have hard enough time teaching them proper throw in's and off-sides (uh, oh, I promised myself I would not enter that forum - lol!)

MUSTANGS are a Proud Breed! 2008 - This Is Our Year
brace
brace
I have a German kid and she is really nice.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
S
i had the honor of playing with two portuguese kids. Most refs should know the spanish cuss words since there are so many spanish players in the state. One thing i am seeing, well down here in the lowcountry/beaufort area, is that we have a few number of spanish refs now, which i think is really good.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
G
bench
bench
G
thank you for understanding coach!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard