Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
world cup
world cup
How is girls lacrosse doing in the Low Country? Evolving? Thriving?

Taking any quality players out of the girls soccer pool?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
W
throw in
throw in
W
H66..lacrosse seems to be evolving here in Mt. P. The few players that I know that play lacrosse, would choose soccer first. With so many good soccer players in Mt P and only one high school, you can be a quality soccer player and not make the team. Some of those girls have turned to lacrosse and their friends are supporting them by going to the lacrosse games.
I am not aware of any quality soccer players that chose lacrosse over soccer.

L
kick off
kick off
L
CoachKevin,

But we are in trouble when the Low Country can only field 2 true U13G and 2 U14G teams at the Classic/Challenge level for the Spring Season. This is less than 60 girls age 12 to 15. We have 6 clubs and at the younger ages there seems to be plenty of girls playing soccer. Where do they go once they turn 12 and up? This is the question that all the clubs need to address and work together on. For these age groups I don't believe they are playing JV yet but I may be wrong.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I believe that numbers and quality in numbers will continue to be a problem to all until we start to seriously focus on player development at a young age for the girls and I know that some clubs have started to make this happen while others are yet to do so ....if not then we will continue to "snatch" a player from here to there to make it work. But if we put in the work early we will see the rewards on a much larger scale a little later.

Hope for the best but always prepare for the worst.
C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

CoachKevin,

But we are in trouble when the Low Country can only field 2 true U13G and 2 U14G teams at the Classic/Challenge level for the Spring Season. This is less than 60 girls age 12 to 15. We have 6 clubs and at the younger ages there seems to be plenty of girls playing soccer. Where do they go once they turn 12 and up? This is the question that all the clubs need to address and work together on. For these age groups I don't believe they are playing JV yet but I may be wrong.

To add to my last post It will have to be an investment in the girls if we only come out 2 times a week for 3 months then we will get exactly what we put in not much...if we (the clubs)create a system to get the girls prepared from a technical ability stand point lets say at age 7 and they are constantly improving and building as a team and as a group it will be much harder for them to turn away from it as it has now become much more than just a game it will help to develope their passion for the game and it makes it less likely they will walk away from the game.

One of my U12 players told me that "whenever we don't play on the weekends it is like her whole weekend is ruined she lives for the game" hehehehehe yes i laughed but she could not have been more serious but on the flip side not all kids that start out playing will follow the game i have had players tell me that this (soccer) is not what she wants to do and that is ok too they are kids and need to try other things so they can find their thing and if that thing is soccer then they will stick with it.

I can only speak for SSC U13 this spring I know most of the girls did opt to play JV vs Club.

Hope for the best but always prepare for the worst.
world cup
world cup
When lacrosse gets sanctioned for a state championship game by the SCHSL, Wando could very likely do the double.

If that happens......time for a new high school in Mt. Pleasant. (You have to be busting at the seems with all those female athletes in that school?)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
W
throw in
throw in
W
Discussions/plans are in the works for a second (maybe a third) high school in Mt. P. My kids will graduate before that happens, so I'm not sure of all the details.

The Old Wando HS is currently being used for middle/elementary schools while they are being renovated.
When that is complete, I believe the discussion is to build a new high school at the Old Wando site. Plans are for that to be a AAA size school???

W
throw in
throw in
W
Quote:

When lacrosse gets sanctioned for a state championship game by the SCHSL, Wando could very likely do the double.

Our boys & girls swim team both won State this school year and boys cross country won State (don't want to leave anyone out)....so Wando girls are on track for the double this year.

World Cup
World Cup
...but that football team is terrible!

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

SoccerDOC,

I want to apologize for using the MPSC U14G team as an example to prove my point. I used their record as an indication for success without looking at the whole picture. I should have used them to illustrate how thinking out of the box can work for the community as a whole. With clubs struggling to put together competitive girl teams instead of creating new clubs we need to work together as MPSC and Charleston United have done with this U14G team. Why couldn’t SSC, James Island, MPSC and CUSC work together and make this happen before the creation of the Bridge and now the Daniel Island Academy?

As my daughters have gotten older they have lost the passion and drive to play soccer. There have been many reasons for this but I think the biggest reason was that their fiends from school did not play soccer and pulled them into other things. Both have found other interest that I support but wish they still had the passion for soccer. I would hope the soccer clubs in the low country could come together and nurture our young girl athletes at all levels in the near future before we continue to lose them to other interest.

Best of luck to all the girl teams in the Low Country and throughout South Carolina.

Thank you.

FYI - I am happy to work with any and all clubs. However, there are some people not trusted and that would be the only draw back.....it would require every person to take a step back(I am more than happy to do this), set up the organization, and allow everyone to apply for the job/s....then hire the best people for the job/s.
Although, the more energy clubs could spend on developing the bottom end of the pyramid we would not be worried about what's not happening at the top.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard