Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PHPPPF Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
P
It seems to me that there has been quite a bit of discussion about fighting on the boards lately. Now I know that this is not nearly as bad as brawling on the field has been in past years, but I still thinks it marrs our game.

I realize that we are involved in a game of heightened passion and emotion, and that we are all prone to going over the top on occaison - I was thrown out of a few games as a younger man for pushing and shoving matches - but should we consider looking at long-term suspensions for throwing punches or maliciously violent/vulgar action on the field directed toward any entity?

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Don't let Jim Rome read this thread, he'll let you know how he feels about it...and Ronaldo's ....

Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.
P
PHPPPF Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
P
I guess I gear it toward soccer because it's the sport I coach, but as a teacher, I find it degrading to the school- and it applies to ANY sport. When kids get out of control (and I know that kids are not coached this way; they are simply ignoring the discipline taught to them) they need to be punished. Now I'm not sure that means playoff suspension (a la Northwestern football in 2002), but is there something to be done?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

should we consider looking at long-term suspensions for throwing punches or maliciously violent/vulgar action on the field directed toward any entity?

Yes, long-term suspensions, AT LEAST, are definitely in order for first time offenses (punches thrown and maliciously violent behavior). On 2nd offense, permanent removal from high-school sports. It's not fair to the other players on the field to have to compete in fear of being intentionally injured.

goal kick
goal kick
I just posted on the thread about suspensions then saw this one. I totally agree with both live and learn and PHPPPF. I think we are going to see a rise in violence as we are starting to see a spike in violence among teens in general. It is already starting to spill over to sports.

bench
bench
Last night I saw a player get grabbed from behind and thrown on the ground after the whistle had been blown. All that was given was a yellow card warning. Then the same player who threw him on the ground smacked another player in the face directly after he got the first card. Nothing was done by the ref. Makes me sad. I think the issue of enforcing the rules on the field needs to be addressed as well. Then again, we complain enough about the refs already. I just needed to vent.

But as far as suspensions go. There are already rules in place but it seems like a straight red for a wild tackle shouldn't be held on the same level as a punch to the face as it often is.

J
bench
bench
J
yea i agree with all yall too...the only thing from holding most players back from takin red cards is just the simple fact they wanna play for their team has nothing to do with how people view them as being that kind of player

ex. i play for marion , im the sweeper and wade hampton fowards was playin hard all me all night and he had a yellow on his belt so since he was playin rough i led him into getting that red card(he got in my face)...and he goes off the field clapping and throwing the bird lol?

...but here is another ? i got a yellow later in the game for a simple slide tackle cause the refs were lookin for me to do ne thing wrong because of that foward. So for the rest of the game their players were hittin me left and right cause i had a yellow i guess

do you think refs should show more attention for players with yellows to see if others are being to physical on them? to tryn and put them out? or do you think the refs already do?

Last edited by jsballer2009; 05/10/08 09:58 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
Rolfe:
What game?

J
bench
bench
J
it was marion vs wade hampton playoff game... thats just half the story that game got so out of hand

Joey Sanders #6 Marion High School

Link Copied to Clipboard