Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10000 03/18/03 12:35 AM
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
Is there a guide somewhere that tries to define when to give an assist? How many asists for each goal? (Hockey has two) When a player gets fouled in the box, do they get an assist if the PK is converted? (seems fair to me!)

How about saves? Does it have to be on frame? What about when the keeper breaks up a cross?

I don't think all of us coaches/scorekeepers use the same set of rules.

#10001 03/18/03 12:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
saves have to be shots on frame

wish breaking up crosses counted for something though...

#10002 03/18/03 12:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
by the way, are you the coach for governor's school?

#10003 03/18/03 12:56 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Coach Cady -- Assists are awarded only when the ensuing goal is scored on that particular possession ... Thus, a PK cannot have an assist because there has been "a break in play" ... Saves are only registered when a "shot on goal" has occurred ... You may have a team attempt 20 shots during a match, but only 10 are actually "on frame" ... So, say a ball has been "back saved" by a defender -- the goalkeeper doesn't get credit for the save ... But, "saves" are a judgement call, but through the years the judgement of scorekeepers has become much better and more critical! ... Also, crosses don't come into play regarding goalkeeper saves because that's actually part of their job.

#10004 03/18/03 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its unfortunate, but soccer statistics don't reflect the real game!
In baseball you have stats for defense - errors, putouts, fielding percentage; some ball players are more valued for their defense than their offense. In basketball you have rebounds, block shots, steals, as defensive stats. In football there are interceptions, tackles, blocked punts, FGs, and many other defensive stats. But in soccer, whoever scores or gets an assist gets their name in the box score in the newspaper. Look in your newspaper the next the rain allows us to play! Its as if they were the only ones who were on the field! Of course there are keeper stats. But thats it defensively! And some of the shots I have seen lately in games simply roll right to the keeper. Should that really be recorded as a save? There is no record at all of the play of a sweeper , a stopper or other defensive player. There could be a game where your sweeper shuts down the other team by himself, and a forward gets one lone goal on one shot taken and he is the star of the game with his name in the newspaper? Lets have some new stats to recognize the defensive players!! The stoppers, sweepers, and other backs have to constantly protect the keeper and direct the attack away at all times, so the midfielders can then set a play in motion. ALL HAIL TO THE UNSUNG DEFENSIVE PLAYERS!!!!

#10005 03/18/03 02:12 AM
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
Next question: How about a PK shootout? Does anyone get credit for the goals scored? I realize the final score is only increased by one, but do the scorers get credit as a stat?

Yes, goalie, I am the GSSM coach.

#10006 03/18/03 03:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who cares about being so particular about the stats? not much else we can do...plus it should all boil down to win or loss. thats what the 11 players are out there for together. W-L would be good enough for me..and every1 else who worries about the game itself rather that boasting other players up for glory and a pat on the back.

#10007 03/18/03 04:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, hey coach we scrimaged yall earlier, i play goalie for west florence usually but in that game i played field, i scored a goal on a header and kinda celebrated a little bit and i just want you to know i wasnt trying to rub it in or anyting, i was just excited b/c i never scored goals.

how are yall doing this year?

#10008 03/18/03 10:32 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Coach Cady -- the only person credited with a goal during a penalty kick shootout is the player that had the decisive kick ... Therefore, in a 4-3 pk shootout, the player that nets the fourth goal for the winning side would get credited with the game-winning goal ... And, you are correct that the margin of victory only increases by one goal on the final score -- a 8-7 pk shootout in a 2-2 game after regulation and overtime would be recorded as 3-2.

#10009 03/19/03 02:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it's not who scores or who gets their name in the paper the only thing that matters if you did what you wanted to do as a team. who cares who gets the credit? at the end of the year the whole team will whether you rode the bench or played 80 full minutes!!! [Roll Eyes]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard