Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
world cup
world cup
Starting next year, we won't have this problem at all. Our school district now has middle school soccer and the word is out that all 7th and 8th graders are now ineligible for JV.

This is not great for the JV Girls program, where historically over 80% of the players were middle schoolers.

Back when we had "the U-14 conflict", I never required girls who had club practice to come to JV practice that night (our JV practice is at 6 PM).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
Thanks, that matches the best scenario, I see... We have one group who requires the kids to do double time, JV first then they can go to club, tough.

P
kick off
kick off
P
We luckily (?) don't have this problem since most of our girls' first experience is with playing JV. Anyone out there in similar situations? How do you create a culture of soccer for younger players. Many of the girls who play (even at varsity level) don't play year-round here because cheerleading is an enormous deal. I've even had one very promising player say that she won't be playing in the spring because she made some big deal cheer team in Charlotte and won't be able to miss any of the practices. How do we (more specifically, how do I) fight that battle?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
It is tough to watch players move to other sports. I was at our spring sports banquet and watched the award winners in crosscountry, softball and track all former soccer players. I was proud of them and I missed watching them play a game I felt they were perfect for.
It has taken many years to develop what little we do have at Berkeley. I have been at the Rec Dept since '94 teaching from 5-15. We had a drought as far as girls a few years back, we fixed that now the boys are in short supply.
All I can say about the "Fighting the Battle" do it with all your heart because whatever little victories you achieve these kids are worthy of ever ounce of energy you can give it.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard