Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
We're in our second year of a JV program here, and I agree with what's been said so far. We're running an almost entirely 7th and 8th grade JV squad, and they are out there for the love of playing. It does help a LOT to have a JV coach who encourages both fun and commitment. They'll probably take some pretty hefty losses at first, but if you can make them feel proud of what they do accomplish, they'll keep coming back for more.

One good way to get things started is to let the high school players visit the middle school to talk to the players and drum up interest; let them see older role models who obviously enjoy the sport and take pride in playing, and they'll come. We had almost 25 come try out from the middle school alone this year, with a lot of returners from last year...I really like the direction the program is going right now!

Personally, I like a mixture of regular season and tournaments. The more games they can get in, the better; actually playing tends to be the most rewarding thing about the season. I'd try to pick the tournaments carefully, though...try to match them with teams of similar talent levels so they can feel competitive and get some good experience at the same time.

Also, let them get to know the varsity coaches and players; give them a good idea what they're building towards. If the varsity squad is something they look forward to being a part of eventually, they'll put the effort in to reach that goal. Overall, let them know that they're part of the program, with good things ahead of them. This is the time that they need to learn to love the game...it will pay off in effort later.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
OP Offline
brace
We have a middle school program which is getting better each year with numbers. 6th through 8th grade so we won't have 8th for JV. We would have 9th and maybe some 10th. Anyone good enough would play varsity - only had 17 tryout this year. We have 5 10th graders and 2 9th graders starting this year on varsity.

How many would you need to have varsity and JV? Seems to me that about 16-18 for each is the need. If I have less for JV, may do only tournaments. I plan to have letters, meetings with middle school this Friday, etc. to see if interest is 35 participants or above. We had 34 show up this year until we mentioned running 4 miles per day.

Thoughts?

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
C
I coach a middle school team. We have our meeting in October and have about 60 show up, but it is for both boys and girls. Last year we ran 2 miles at the beginning of conditioning everyday and I had just under 20 guys try out. This year I dropped it to a mile and we were back over 30. I have figured out that off season conditioning needs to be the conditioning that hides the fact that that they are getting into shape so that they will still show up at tryouts.

The biggest thing I tell all of my players and parents is that they need to get as many touches as possible. Play rec or club. Go to camps. Play soccer as much as possible. I am lucky that my school gets out at 2:30 and our practices are over by 4:30 which allows the kids to still go play if rec or club which again, gets them more touches and practice.

kick off
kick off
I think if you are trying to get a program started, you could use as few as 14 for JV. I think it would depend on the strength of the kids you do have, to decide how many you need. If my kids were one of only 11 that wanted to play, they would still want to play.

If you don't have enough show up, can you offer something after school for those kids that don't make varsity to build for next year?

brace
OP Offline
brace
If there were 11, we would have a team. I believe that JV probably starts out as desire and numbers develop as the kids see that it is fun and they are treated with class and respect. We'll see.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Anyone have experience in how much you spent on a JV team in your first year, second year, etc. so that we can do some planning?

kick off
kick off
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...STATESPORTS0213

Miss Hooker is a unique young lady, and so is her mom.

With a team making strides like the Tigers have, who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

brace
OP Offline
brace
Vanessa is very coaches' dream player. You have to love a kid who will play any position, takes care of her brothers and sisters, is respectful, kind, tough, can play, and thanks you every time you talk to her.

First class, respectful, makes coaching worth every minute.

She has helped create something special at Blue Ridge.

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
I am coaching at a school that told us we could not have a JV team, which i think is ridiculous. Both the boys coach and I decided not to have cuts, so we can get some of these kids back (especially for the girls). It has really hurt us over all in building some of the young players-9th and 10th graders-who have never played soccer before or have little skill.
Fundamentals is key for these young players, and if you can scrimmage the varsity teams to get the JV prepared for the faster pace of a Varsity game. I know my kids are having a difficult time when we play quality teams in regards to the pace and skill of those players.
It is disappointing that the school is holding back kids from playing as we can dip into the middle school for varsity and see what is out there and coming up.
What can you do when Football is KING!

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

How many would you need to have varsity and JV? Seems to me that about 16-18 for each is the need. If I have less for JV, may do only tournaments. I plan to have letters, meetings with middle school this Friday, etc. to see if interest is 35 participants or above. We had 34 show up this year until we mentioned running 4 miles per day.

Thoughts?

I don't believe you need 4 miles a day of running. One or two miles would be fine, and use the extra time playing fast paced small sided games instead. The anaerobic benefits of the small sided game will better prepare the players, and they won't realize they are getting a workout.

A 13 or 14 player jv team is great. The kids want to play!

For example, my son plays on the jv team of a small independent school. It is not a powerhouse program. However, as a young, middle school player, he is getting lots of playing time. His team was recently defeated by school with a stronger program, which had 6 or 7 players on the bench. A member of the other team, a good young player whom my son knows from club ball, told him after the game that he lucky to be on a team where he got so much playing time. To that player, who had spent much of the game on the bench, getting playing time was as important as the win.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard