brace
We'll ship some in with some shrimp.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
After a good round of beach soccer, you'll be taking some back with you. Intentionally or not.

I've got good news and bad news...
P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

OK, now that the JV seasons are over, what will you do differently next year to make your program better?

Okay, I didn't really have a grip on the fact that I was going to be coaching my school's girls' JV team this year, so here's what I'm going to make sure of next year.

1. Identify and train a keeper (actually two) with lots of individual time (potentially using time after the official practice for this). It's the key position as the last defender and the first attacker and director of the defending half (not to mention being the only player who can see the entire field from her natural position).

2. Have a plan to spend lots of preseason practice time on individual skill development. So many of my girls this year had no previous experience, and a lot of focus on first touch, crisp passing, developing multiple ways to strike the ball and so on will be the the core of creating players who will mold into wonderful team players.

3. Developing team chemistry. I felt that a lot of our girls didn't like each other too much this year. I don't mean to say they disliked one another, but they seemed distant in that they seemed to just be together for the hour and a half practices and the hour and a half for games. Team building exercises are part of my program for next year.

4. Watching my own use of players and allowing players to play as many positions as possible. This will allow me to make players work hard in all facets of practice and create versitile players.

I could continue to list for ages, but these are my big four. Great question. And yes, we got our butts kicked this year, but watch out; we're coming for y'all next year!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
After a season of letting them play all postitions, I will introduce them to overlapping and attacking with wing backs. Being aware of where they are on the field and how to move and maintain shape. I need to get out of the "old school rod hockey" approach to cover a field. I don't play that way but I tend to teach it, I believe out of my inability to get my players to the next level of play.
I've been pleasantly surprised how fast all the teams have embraced the style. It's not new and as a Cruyff/ Ajax fan I've always wanted it for my teams. It is something that has prevailed as the most effective method of play in the girls game this year.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
What about making SOCCER a year around SPORT in all schools, from elementary to HS. Here in Richland 2, middle schooler's get soccer in the spring. During 7th and 8th grade my daughter had the opportunity to play for middle school and club soccer. It benefitted her tremendously. Having them play year around will definetly improve soccer in South Carolina.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Not sure who filmed us in training but thought I would share it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMsFmXtN74

I
goal
goal
I
I would like to bend this thread slightly...

How does your JV coach work with the local clubs on sharing the kids for practice? Is there a priority? Is there a conflict?

I see in our small community a vast difference.
The best I see is an automatic pass from JV practice if the kid is going to practice with his or her club.

How does your relationships look in this respect? These questions are to all. Thanks

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard