Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

And your record is? I thought that in high school, you started placing an emphasis on winning, not just fielding a team.

One more comment...you are about half right. At the JV level, you place an emphasis on development and learning HOW to win, not just "fielding a team." Just because a team of 7th and 8th graders isn't winning right now doesn't mean they're not making great strides in learning how...and one of those strides is learning how to BE a team and not try to cut each other's throats just to get a short-time win. They support each other through thick and thin now, there will be a lot more options and support for them when they move up and I start counting on them to win.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Coach Chass I agree completely with you. I encourage winning, who doesn't. But from the beginning of tryouts till the very last game, I try to build a "team". The greatest joy I had this season was when the team actually celebrated together as a team. We had won a preseason tournament and even beat a big rival on PK's but there was no support or celebration when doing so. Finally as they won the last game on PK's the celebrated as a team, twice. That is the biggest thing that they need to learn. No matter what is going on they need to support each other and "BE" a team.

brace
OP Offline
brace
I guess I don't understand "winning".

I have heard young ladies with four weeks left in a soccer season say, "I can't wait for this to get over." Once, on an "undefeated" team.

I have young ladies this year on a 10-7 team who say, "Man, this is fun. We have learned so much. I didn't realize that individual defense had five parts. I can Shadow! Make sure no one gets hurt on the team we are playing (heard in the team huddle before a game the other night."

Young ladies who are capable of playing with ruthless fury, step off the pitch after practice and after a game, and feel better about themselves - that's what I thought winning was.

Before you nail me, I have won many, many times as a young athlete, coach, and player. Might have learned more about "winning" this year as an old man than I ever did as a "winner" in the past.

Coach Chass and Coach Tim - we will implement your thoughts in our new JV program. You are winners.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
OP Offline
brace
Thanks to everyone for the great input on this forum. It's all printed, read, and will be taken into play next year when we start our JV program hopefully. Please feel free to add any additional thoughts or advice.

Thanks again.

Rollie Sumwalt
Head Women's Soccer Coach
Blue Ridge High School

goal kick
goal kick
Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Looking forward to hearing great things about your team...and I'm not just talking about the scoreboard. Keep us posted!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
If the Jv program idea is to be the learning ground for varsity then a few short term goals would be nice as well.
I implemented a measuring device a few years ago that my kids still compete in. See how many players can juggle a ball allowing it to bounce on the ground once and touch it up once about chest high. We have a player did 1001 and ended with a shot on goal. My Jv girls have tried to knock her record off, closest so far is 400. Counting out loud adds pressure and competition.
I also use a GPS and record distance and top speed they love setting the record on that. Plus I show them the area that they cover in a game and it always amazes them.
Like many have said before work on making them a team. There will be, just by the way things are, forces that will pull at them. Removing the stigma of JV for them as well as making sure you (I) don't say things even in jest that are not 100% positive and constructive.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Great stuff, Coach Tim. I have used pedometers and a deal called a Trackstick (using by biking guys) that shows how far you have traveled in 5 second increments and how fast you were going. You can print it out, pretty cool.

Those are great ideas. We will implement! Thanks!

C
Coach
Coach
C
A big compliment to Coach Tim and the mentality of the JV squad (and a congratulations for bringing home Berkeley girls' JV's first win tonight with 4-0 over Colleton County)--some of the JV girls on the bus the other night were talking about who among them had a chance as freshmen next year to move up to varsity. One of the 8th grade girls(and a very good young player) said, "Well, I think I want to stay with JV one more year so I can learn more, so when I do move up to varsity I can play well and make a difference."

Great stuff, great attitude, and great players under development. Love it.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Sounds like you nailed it, Coach Tim! Nice job!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard