Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I have a ? to all coaches reading this board. This is only my 3rd year coaching. How do yall deal with parents??!!

That's an awfully broad question; usually I deal with my team parents by thanking them for all they do to be supportive. Of course, there are all sorts of parents and all sorts of issues to be dealt with...any particular types of instances you had in mind?

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
My AD gave me some great advice before the season began "Let them talk and get it off their chest, by then all the steam is let off and talking can begin "
For me I enjoy engaging in conversations with parents and getting their take on the situation. Their input is justified as they are shareholders.
The usual issues are playing time and postitions. Those two are determined by the standards and practices the coach demands of his team.
I let the parents know in a meeting about a week into the season all my expectations and clearly how I plan on getting there.

brace
OP Offline
brace
This is great stuff. Coach Tim and Coach Chass, our first year program will be a lot like yours it seems to me. We don't have the numbers to let "players" play JV, so that will probably be a team that keeps players playing while hoping a couple develop.

Plus, our varsity this year has 15 underclassmen already, most of whom are 10th and 9th graders.

Thanks for the input.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Coach
C
Wish you the best of luck with it; our JV girls seem to have really enjoyed this season, win or lose; their biggest regret right now is that they don't want to stop now that their season is over!

brace
OP Offline
brace
If they had fun, it was worth it. We are going to have to play you guys someday. We'll come down. Maybe at Edisto.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I'm up for beach soccer! Can the old guys play too?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Speaking of which, humility is being 6'3", 200 lbs. and having a 110-lb. girl undercut you, send you spinning off your feet, and dribble away grinning with the ball at practice. Love it!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Quote:

I'm up for beach soccer! Can the old guys play too?

It's for the old guys, silly. We will have an old guy division, promise.

brace
OP Offline
brace
1 minute halves. No PK's. Ties are good.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
A neutral site match would be pretty cool to try and set up. We can try it in 09 if all can all agree to terms and we have room. Also assuming gas won't be $6 a gallon.
If I have already said the following then please forgive. Go to the rec dept, YMCA and Upward soccer assist with what they have going on. From two one hour clinics I gathered 8 7th graders. These girls needed very little adjusting to the big field.
I have an assistant that volunteered with me this past season. Being skillful and soccer wise helped so much. I was able to give him half the team with some direction and main points and he ran with it.He always had spot on match analysis and helped make some great adjustments. He never allowed a bad pass to be acceptable and showed how to make passes into good passes then into service. The every second counts mentality pushed these girls much further than what I could have done alone. I also fed the kid all year so I think that is a big reason he stayed on board.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard