Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
goal kick
goal kick
I don't think the formula really tells us a whole lot about how tough one's schedule is. It doesn't take into account a team with a winning record against weak teams. We have a relatively tough schedule(unlike most Pee Dee teams) but we also have a couple teams with winning records that don't play real tough schedules.
To qualify my statement about most Pee Dee teams, here are the teams we played this year and their ranking within their division, or their current status in their region.

North Myrtle Beach #9 3A
Waccamaw #2 2A
Thomas Sumter #6 SCISA
South Florence 1st in their region, also 4A (played 3X)
Wilson #15 3A (played 2X)
Governor's School #4 1A (played 2X)
Our other two losses are to West Florence in the first game of the season and Hartsville on PK's, a game we were winning with less than 8 to go.

Last year people made the statement that we didn't play anybody, so I went and made what I thought would be a tough non-region schedule. No offense to my region foes, but we aren't where I would like to be in respect to the rest of the state.

I also agree that the rankings don't really matter in the end anyway. That comes from someone who has watched his #1 Buckeyes lose the National Championship two years in a row.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Based on record of opponents! Take this for what it is, a % based off who you play's win/loss. Look at this closely and you will see Region 8 teams. West Ashley, Fort D., Summerville and Beaufort. All are ranked and beat on each other all through region play. What other teams, that are ranked have four region opponents that are that strong?

To be fair, there are ways to do solid helpful comparisons based on strength of schedule. This method lacks some important factors and is NOT a true test of "strength of schedule". It may be helpful to some but do not read too much into it. This is a narrow simplistic look at who you play's win/losses and that is it!

Crabb #100648 04/23/08 08:30 PM
S
kick off
kick off
S
The region with DF, SV and the region with Irmo, SA and Lex are both much harder to win than region 8.

??? Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Supasta...What happened to all of your hilarious Blythewood comments???

??? #100650 04/24/08 12:49 AM
C
bench
bench
C
Both kickittome and Crabb make valid points.... butttt

Kickittome- I agree that it doesn't take into account teams who have winnings records against weak schedules, but if you look at the teams at the top of that list, they aren't playing teams cruising through easy schedules. Take SV for example, 11 of their 17 games have come against teams ranked in their given classifications. 12 of 17 for Lex. And "relative" to some of those schedules I wouldn't say yours was too difficult.

Crabb- Although that is a very strong region, (I'd argue that Lex, Irmo, Aiken, SA is the strongest) you also have to realize that the out of region schedules of most of these teams is much stronger than those you mentioned. A team like Irmo has to play a brutal region schedule and on top of that they play Chapin twice, DF twice, and SV once out of region.

goal kick
goal kick
i would have to agree with crabb. but clemsonsoccer07 you made a very good point and pust some things in perspective

"THERE IS ONLY 1 RONALDO"
H
goal
goal
H
One minor correction to your post - Irmo played Spring Valley twice. Two of Irmo's three losses are to SV.

I am really looking forward to an Irmo-NW upper-state championship game. That will be a great one.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Quote:

The region with DF, SV and the region with Irmo, SA and Lex are both much harder to win than region 8.

The teams you mentioned certaibly have history on their side. I also did NOT mean to suggest that Region 8 was the hardest Region in the State. I was speaking of the flaw in using that method to determine quality or strength. The teams you mention may be much better than any region 8 teams and could possibly win region 8 every year. However, using this method to determine strength should be looked at for what it is, that was my point! I mentioned 4 quality teams in the SAME region, your quote does not. Again, that was my point and it obviously did not come across as I intended.

T
kick off
kick off
T
Post deleted by Kevin Heise

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I would say these are the best regions this year! Look who is left:

4A
R1 - Greenwood, TL Hanna
R2 - Dorman, Spartanburg
R3 - Northwestern, Fort Mill
R4 - Irmo, Lexington
R5 - Spring Valley
R6 - none
R7 - Wando, James Island, Stratford, Goose Creek
R8 - Beaufort, West Ashley, Summerville

3A
R1 - Greenville, Daniel
R2 - Eastside, Riverside, JL Mann, Wade Hampton
R3 - Dreher, BlytheWood
R4 - Chapin, Brookland-Cayce, Airport
R5 - none
R6 - Socastee, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, St. James
R7 - Hilton Head

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard